Black Positive People : Yuri Kochiyama - Dead @ 93

Fine1952

Happy Winter Solstice
PREMIUM MEMBER
Sep 27, 2005
Yuri Kochiyama, Civil Rights Activist, Dies in Berkeley at Age 93
Monday, Jun 2, 2014 | Updated 9:50 AM PDT

NPR was first to received the report by radio....

Fine1952

Happy Winter Solstice
PREMIUM MEMBER
Sep 27, 2005
Nope! Sure wouldn't have ... and we both know why :wchair: ... go work on your editing skills dear, they need work :wink:

smh.

R.I.F. = Reading is Fundamental.

Death of a Prophet is a 1981 docu-movie based on the last days of Malcolm X, starring Morgan Freeman as Malcolm.

AND Yuri Kochiyama appears in this movie as HERSELF.

If you'd taken the time to READ my whole post, you'd know that my post is ON TOPIC. This woman cradled Malcolm's head as he died and this movie includes her.

cherryblossom

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
......between 1960-1965, the Puerto Rican Movement arose, in which the Puerto Ricans wanted to liberate themselves from U.S. colonization. However, in the heated atmosphere of the black movement in the ‘60s, not enough people paid mind to the Puerto Rican effort for independence. Yuri was aware of their movement and began to see that there were many countries in the world trying to resist imperialism. Thus, she joined their cause by joining the Young Lords. The Young Lords Party was originally a Puerto Rican gang in Chicago, which was turned towards community work and political action in the late 1960s. In 1969 several persons were inspired to start a New York chapter of the Young Lords, which Yuri was a part of. (Following New York, came five other branches around the U.S. and in Puerto Rico, one of which was Boston) Locally they were responsible for organizing among other things, free breakfast programs and clothing drives, cultural events, community testing for tuberculosis/lead poisoning, and their own newspaper. Internationally they also fought for Puerto Rican Independence, including a 1977 Statue of Liberty Storming of which Yuri was a part.

http://www.learntoquestion.com/seevak/groups/2004/sites/kochiyama/multicultural.html

Consciousness Raising Online!

Destee Conference 1-866-4-DESTEE

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on candeesweet's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! :love: ... it's good to see you! I hope you and yours are all well and staying safe. I Love You! :kiss:
Nahshon wrote on Gracious's profile.
Gracious Queen I hope you do come back to destee...I see last time you were online here was 6 years ago on my birthday...I was probably probably taking a puff on that good 'ol stuff at the time...maybe sitting back sipping Coffee, Tea, or Wine...I just had to go back and read your previous posts.
Moved back to the Borough of my birth...Queens New York...Originally from SouthSide but now I live in Far Rockaway.
Clarity to pursue my mission in 2020
Destee wrote on Omowale Jabali's profile.
Hi Brother O! YAAAAAY! Good to see you! Hoping all is well with you and yours! Happy New Year! :heart: