Black Positive People : Yuri Kochiyama - Dead @ 93

Fine1952

Happy Winter Solstice
Sep 27, 2005
Yuri Kochiyama, Civil Rights Activist, Dies in Berkeley at Age 93
Monday, Jun 2, 2014 | Updated 9:50 AM PDT

NPR was first to received the report by radio....

Fine1952

Happy Winter Solstice
Sep 27, 2005
Nope! Sure wouldn't have ... and we both know why :wchair: ... go work on your editing skills dear, they need work :wink:

smh.

R.I.F. = Reading is Fundamental.

Death of a Prophet is a 1981 docu-movie based on the last days of Malcolm X, starring Morgan Freeman as Malcolm.

AND Yuri Kochiyama appears in this movie as HERSELF.

If you'd taken the time to READ my whole post, you'd know that my post is ON TOPIC. This woman cradled Malcolm's head as he died and this movie includes her.

cherryblossom

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
......between 1960-1965, the Puerto Rican Movement arose, in which the Puerto Ricans wanted to liberate themselves from U.S. colonization. However, in the heated atmosphere of the black movement in the ‘60s, not enough people paid mind to the Puerto Rican effort for independence. Yuri was aware of their movement and began to see that there were many countries in the world trying to resist imperialism. Thus, she joined their cause by joining the Young Lords. The Young Lords Party was originally a Puerto Rican gang in Chicago, which was turned towards community work and political action in the late 1960s. In 1969 several persons were inspired to start a New York chapter of the Young Lords, which Yuri was a part of. (Following New York, came five other branches around the U.S. and in Puerto Rico, one of which was Boston) Locally they were responsible for organizing among other things, free breakfast programs and clothing drives, cultural events, community testing for tuberculosis/lead poisoning, and their own newspaper. Internationally they also fought for Puerto Rican Independence, including a 1977 Statue of Liberty Storming of which Yuri was a part.

http://www.learntoquestion.com/seevak/groups/2004/sites/kochiyama/multicultural.html

Fine1952

Happy Winter Solstice
Sep 27, 2005
Borne May 19, 1922 - Mrs. Yuri Kochiyama shares the same birthday as Malcolm X which explains their special friendship that only lasted 2 years.

Kadijah

Banned
Apr 7, 2013
In your first post you referenced Yuri Kochiyama cradling Malcolm's head as he died and posted related photos.

And I posted a docu-movie titled "Dead Of a Prophet: The Last Days of Malcolm X" which also features her in it so any could see/hear her in the flesh.

smh..... Lord, my People, my People, sometimes.
You're preaching to choir, sistah. (smh)

Kadijah

Banned
Apr 7, 2013
[quo
It was she who cradled Malcolm X in her arms right b4 he died. She passed on Sunday (June 1, 2014)...

Yuri cradling Malcolm X as he took his last breath in "this" life.

read more about her here
The roots will always continue to grow and the seeds of Malcolm…his ideas…they’re everywhere and they’re growing in the fertile minds of young blacks and the future generation of new Africans in America will continue to fight the struggle that he could not see through to the end…”
Wonder why this inspiring Japanese-American said "Africans in America" and not "people of color in America?" :10500:

Kadijah

Banned
Apr 7, 2013
But for decades after her brief friendship with Malcolm X, Kochiyama remained committed to causes in the black, Latino and Asian-American communities.
Just saw a documentary on a Chinese-American who was active in the 1960s. Thought it was Yuri until I checked this forum. Course I had to first FIND this forum.

**sigh** We really should not commemorate the deaths of JAPANESE and other non-black people in the :10500: BLACK PEOPLE DOING POSITIVE THINGS forum. It's just soooo disrespectful.

1) She wasn't black
2) Is her death really a "positive thing?"

On another note, it seems Yuri was just in the audience at the Audoban the day Malcolm was assassinated. She was not a featured speaker. She was not even Malcolm's guest. Like everyone else there, she simply came to hear his speak.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

It's okay to admire otherz, but first, love self. ELEVATE your self-image by having a healthy love & respect for yourself. ✍
1619+400=2019 Jamestown Virginia...end of slavery. (Yes modern miseducation and injustices count as slavery) But no proper reparations will be given since the amount of contributions beyond humanity transcends generations. Our people have history that is equal to trillions of dollars including Melanin research and its supernatural power.
I want my people to be aware of this dilemma regarding the upcoming election... I know politics. Yes Trump is admitting the truth about Black People building this so called country corporation (The United States). But you must understand that what they're planning on doing is to divide and conquer. This is all just for him to get re-elected. He's going to promise reparations and reneg at the last minute.
Ifypedro334 wrote on Jasica Adam's profile.
The best gift to give a baby boy is ??
Lon
Trying to find my way around on this forum. It's not User Friendly