Amun-Ra : Youth Violence (Tick Tock)

Thandiwe

Reaction score
I have asked the question of polygamy with some people before.

I heard men say that they had problems dealing with just one woman.

and from the women, they don't want to share THEIR man.

so it would take like-minded and compatible people to make this arrangement work.

Amun-Ra

Reaction score
I think you are right!

Men often talk about having more than one woman, but they want it in such a way that they are separate. When two or more women are suddenly are one roof--everything changes. Obviously sharing could be an issue. Generally, in polygamous societies the first woman is the one who pics the second, third, etc. Normally, these women come from her family unless the man has "mucho" dinero and can supply relatives with money and other things. Itis a not a cheap arrangement for a man.

Some societies allow men to choose the mates but as you can imagine this leads to jealousies that eventually make the man wish he would have stayed single. Polyandry among women is rare but not nonexistent. It has many of the same problems and men tend to be even worse companions. Strange isn't it. Culture sdetermines many of the reactions. It all depends upon what we are used to doing. In the United States, the concept of monogamy and ownership would be hard to dismiss.

WisdomSeed

Reaction score
OH MY GOD!!!

First of all you need to really do the math on those statistics. Since most ofthose numbers are undefined (what is an assault exactly?) you need to be more specific.

My idea, first lets burn all the churches down, and we can do it by pouring gasoline on bibles, cool with me. And all this crap about parental control, geez, if we just knew, I mean really knew what parents did/do. we would talk a lot less crap about it.

I blame BUSINESS. It is funny how we place so much love on the altar of big business. Big business is running your media, it is big business that dishonors family by not pulling one but both parents away from many fmilys by seeing labor as a cost instead of an investment, that on the whims of the market gods fires tens of thouseand of people as a sacrifice for the next quaters profits or smaller losses. It is big business that dishonors humanity as employees, but sells your poverty stricken child the dream of a f'ing pair of shoes made by children in malaysia.

peep the move recognize, the debble on your tv!

Thandiwe

Reaction score
Sorry to tell you this Wisdomseed...

I don't think anyone will disagree with you on this one.

but thanks for coming as you always do.

I wish i would have told you about this earlier, when Amun Ra was online. I would like to see how you two communicate. Well there's always later...

Amun-Ra

Reaction score
Truth?

There is certainly truth in what you both have said, but to lay it all at the steps of capitalism is to side step individual roles in saying yes or no or even maybe. It is said that it now takes two people working to make today. I submit that it takes two people working if you want to live the way pictured in the popular media which includes expensive houses, cars, and life styles in general. We have bought into the corporate dream that more is better and yet we still find ourlives empty even when we are able to attain these things.

No we don't have time for our children if we work all the time. Perhaps we shouldn't have children if that is what we want to do. On the other hand, as a parent one thing I learned quickly was thatbeing a parent required sacrifices. I didn't buy new shoes for myself because my kids needed them. I didn't go on vacation to some exotic place so I could send my kids on class trips with their schoolmates. I made do with what I had so that my kids didn't suffer.

When I wanted to go to see pro football on Sunday, I went to see my sons play soccer. Friday nights it was basketball or football. I didn't start having a life of my own until they were in their mid teens. I'm not complaining at all. I have my life now. I have more than I need and I do as I please, while my children are now coming to understand that life requires some sacrifices.

OK--through preaching,

Ra

$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
STAFF
Reaction score
i'm in total agreement

we need the talking stuff stop
and simply do something fast
the numbers don't lie
our children is fading faster
and to the hands of another child
yes Ra..... ya right in so many ways
nuff said !!!

Amun-Ra

Reaction score
Things are getting better

Since I posted this there has been a drop in youth crime--it is not much, but perhaps they are outgrowing it or perhaps they are either dead or in prison, but there has been a drop--Ra

:cool:

Mike Ramey

Reaction score
Ra, another great topic...

I like this Ra, cause you went for the throat and didn't let go on this one.

What the statistics DON'T show is the number of our youth on Probation or Parole. That means the system already has a 'string' on them. Once they 'cross over' to prison--even as a juvenile--they get that 'prison' number which stays on for the lifetime of the person.

Ra, I know that you've sat in some of the juvenile court business from time to time. It's a true education...especially watching the 14 to 17 year olds fail to realize that Mama or Daddy's 'covering' for them when they DO wrong puts the judge in the role of discipinarian. And brother, they have no choice but to hand out the time.

However, the good news is that roughly ten percent of juveniles are causing the problems. The majority of our kids are NOT involved with the system and parents--be they single or couple--are doing the job.

Sadly, the 17 year old allegedly involved in the Sniper case, is being set up for the death penalty. Saw on the news today that HIS prints are the only ones on the weapon. Which means he may take the fall...alone.

What I did want to mention, since I do work in the courts and work with troubled youth who have 'racked up' FELONIES is the following concerning what to do IF your child is accused of a crime:

1) Never go into a courtroom without a lawyer for your child. Public Defender is good; private counsel with experience in juvenile law is best! Simply put, if the judge/magistrate/commissioner SEES that you have hired private counsel, they will think twice about maxing your child out...and will likely give them an alternative sentence and community service, depending upon the crime. If a parent can find money to buy a DVD player, or get their nails done on the weekend...they can find money to hire a private attorney to represent their child. Best to pay for a lawyer now, then paying for prison visits later. And no, it is NOT the lawyer's job to get your child off. It is the lawyer's job to make sure that your child does NOT get 'slammed' by the system...and to establish their innocence.

2) Never go for the plea bargain UNLESS it is in your child's best interest. The burden of proof is on the State...NOT your child...so don't fall for the 'okey doke' in the form of a plea bargain. While your lawyer and the DA may agree, the judge may not.

3) Remember the following: Their kids get Therapy, Our kids get time! I've watched it happen again and again. Our kids walk into the courtroom like they own it--arrogant, disrespectful, and not properly dressed. Other kids walk in with 'yes your honor', wearing suits and dresses. Who do YOU think the judge is going to put in the slammer, and who is going to walk free? Sure, the judge may be black, but the law is of no color.

4) In many sections of the country, the GED rules have changed! IF your child is a disciplinary problem in school, and is over the age of 16, the school CAN legally expell them and make them get their own education. One cannot take the GED pre-test until they are 17. IF they don't pass it in three tries, they can't take the GED regular test.

5) One clincher. Schools are using their own police forces to handle classroom discipinary problems. If a child strikes another child or teacher nowdays, they can be arrested for Battery, Disorderly Conduct, or Intimidation. If a child talks back to teachers, counselors, or administrators, they can be arrested for Disorderly Conduct. If a child frightens a teacher, they can be arrested for Intimidation. Some jurisdictions are talking about, or have placed Probation Officers in some public schools.

6) Another clincher. A parent can propose to the court, and be willing to pay for a treatment program of their own chosing. This will likely have the child 'diverted' for treatment, rather than warehoused in the justice system. Keep in mind that if the child does NOT comply with the treatment plan (and the court has people to monitor compliance) they will be 'maxed out'.

7) The final clincher. Each state is different concerning how far a juvenile can go into the system if they are accused of a serious crime. www.nolo.com will give you a state-by-state breakdown of what crime connects with what punishment, usually by age. A child of 16, for example, who may be involved with a carjacking, will likely be waived to adult court and tried there...and given PRISON TIME.

Ra, you are right. Parents DO need to regain and reassert rules in the home for their children...including warning them about who they hang out with. Adult criminals regularly 'use' juveniles to hold illegal goods, because--they tell them: "The courts can't hurt you!" Oh, YES they can...and have! Other juveniles that love to commit crimes will 'rat out' their friends faster than you can read my comments in this last paragraph.

The three main charges that will land a child in court quickly are Runaway, Curfew violation, and NOT going to school (Truancy). After a judge sees a child in juvenile court too many times, they will likely 'max them out' because the child is still defiant.

Just wanted to toss this in...because some of our kids are set up by their own peers. Right is right, and wrong is wrong. But, if we raise em right, the odds are on the parent's side and they will never darken the door of a courtroom.

Mike Ramey

Amun-Ra

Reaction score
Good Stuff!

Mike--thanks for the insightful reply, this is good stuff for people to know--you nailed when you said never go into court without a private attorney--to me that's almost the same saying you want to go to jail--I know many people can't afford one, but you say it right when we can manage to get all these other things, we can surely find the money to get an attorney--but that takes planning--but you are right--I certainly liked the line that "their kids get therapy and our kids get time." You ought to copyright that because it's on the money--we don't have the same luxuries even though this is 2002--the system is stacked against us--and we know it, so we shouldn't be surprised.

There is an old line that says when blacks go looking for justice that what we find is "just us."--there is a certain amount of truth to it, but just like we learned to play qa variety of sporting events and become good at them, we need to learn how to play the legal system because clearly it can be played, unfortunately, money is often the referee.

Ra

:cool:

Mike Ramey

Reaction score
Many Courts Allow Outside Observers...

Ra: Had to slip this one in here as well. Many courts do allow for members of the public to come in and observe the goings on...even juvenile courts, where the hearings are more of the 'controversial' nature.

In another section of my home state last year, a 17 year old was on trial for attempted murder. Going back to my previous post and the need for private counsel, the cost to defend that juvenile was MORE than $20,000!

You are right! To get justice these days likely will cost big money! That's why a parent or parents NEED to see who their kids are 'hanging' with...it might give them a real education.

Many jails, prisons, and juvenile corrections facilities also allow for young people and college students to tour them. If our young people got a good look inside, many won't want to GO inside. Plus, some jurisdictions have programs available for parents to bring their teens and kids in to 'get the down low' on what goes on inside of these facilities.

There are plenty of Black lawyers, defense lawyers, corrections officers, probation officers, judges and cops involved with the system. As one, our constant prayer is that OUR kids get the message that when one appears before a judge, its a fight for your future! A prison number or criminal record is a poor substitute for a few minutes of fun.

Mike Ramey