Amun-Ra : Your Size

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
They say the truth hurts, but it can also set you free!

Amun-Ra, I didn't take what you wrote as your intention to insult anyone, but to speak the truth. So I accept it as something positive and think it's information that could be very helpful to us as a Black community.

The way we dress today is influenced by whom? Not only are these outfits fashion disasters they are also health hazards. Instead of a fashion label some should also come with the surgeon general's warning label sewed in. The way they are designed, the way they are cut...some of them might as well include a label: NOT MADE FOR BLACK PEOPLE.

To add to your list, let's not forget the infamously famous "thong". Will someone tell me what the purpose of a thong is? What is so natural about walking around with a piece of elastic string stuffed in your butt? Is it sexy? Is it functional? If you don't want a panty line, then go panty-free. That makes far more sense to me.

You speak of cleavage and how much you think should be appropriate to advertise. Has anyone told Aretha? A man created the bra...a chest harness and for what? Who is it bothering if women's breasts are set free to jiggle and sway as they see fit? All breasts aren't small and perky or artifically enhanced--let's face it. But I agree Black women should wear outfits that enhance her beauty and not draw away from it.

What is the purpose of pantyhose? Yet millions of women stuff themselves in these elastic tubes like armor everyday. Some would feel naked without them. But they often prohibit fresh air reaching places that need it. They can be hot and be uncomfortable.

Gynecologists are seeing an increase in all kinds of rashes, vaginal infections and physical aches and pains in women caused by clothes not made for Black women's bodies. Yet we still wear these clothes because they're the latest style and we suffer the consequences .

We need to stop believing the hype. Most fashion designers are European and as quiet as it's kept, the average white woman isn't a size 2 or 4 either. But because that's what's portrayed in the media, flashing across our televisions in music videos by the majority of today's young artists, women in our society are running to the stores buying up these clothes without giving it a second thought as to how she looks when she stuffs herself into those outfits.

The voluntary act of starving one's self (anorexia/bulimia) is on the rise among our young women. Binge eating and throwing up or not eating at all--to try and be skinny. Some of our women are doing unnatural and unhealthy things to try to look like a toothpick. They see J-Lo on the latest cover of Vibe magazine with her cosmetically and airbrushed curved behind stuck out toward the camera with a pair of smoke shorts on (white women call them hotpants) and they want to look like her. How many care whether that's how she looks naturally or not?

More and more Black women are going under the knife seeking cosmetic surgery to "enhance" their natural beauty or just change how they look altogether. They want the pseudo-European look now. False breasts, thinned noses, flatter stomachs, slimmer thighs and smaller butts. Do they care that Miss Jackson doesn't really look like that? Of course not, they just wanna be like her.

Now Black women need to know the difference between being obese or over-weight and having natural curves. I read an article in Essence magazine a few years ago entitled, "Fat Is A Black Woman's Issue." Essentially it was saying that because Black women don't fit the stereotype of beauty in America, she develops issues with the way she looks and begins to hate her looks. So she over-eats.

We are not meant to look like sticks. We need to start loving ourselves and stop trying to conform (or assimilate into) to whatever the media says we should look like and how we should dress. Quit looking at Victoria Secret, stop believing the hype, love your curves and dress them in ways that compliment them and you. If you wanna turn heads when you walk in a room, let it be because people find you pleasing to the eye and not blinded by the sight.

Self-confidence, self-love, self-awareness, knowledge. . . does more to make you beautiful than the clothes you wear.

Peace and thanks for the topic!

Mahogany_Brown

May 4, 2003
I don't agree with every single thing Amun Ra and $$Rich$$ said, but ya'll got me rolling over here, I hear that comment all the time from my friends regarding "big" size women, but remember the majority of women in America are over size 12. So what you think is tacky or disgusting is the normal size for women nowadays. NNQueen you made some real good points.

Amun-Ra

Feb 15, 2001
Dallas
Occupation
Sales Management
Seriously

What you say seem to be true--Frequently, in the black community itg is mentioned that both men and women suffer from a lack of esteem, but sometimes I think we have far too much esteem for ourselves and not enough common sense--Ra

:)

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
Common sense. What is that and what sense should be "common" among us?

Large, soft breasts with deep cleavages in low necklines, round bellies with sunken navels exposed, stretch marks, surgical scars for all to see, plump and dimpled butts straining from trying to be contained in low riding slacks with just a wee bit of cleavage showing, thick thighs showing from underneath a short skirt. Is it a lack of common sense if people reveal their true selves or should the truth be hidden? Don't we prefer it when people are being honest? If people think they look good and you don't agree, then who's problem is it really?

Is it that people who dress in revealing clothes lack self-esteem or could it be just the opposite and they have healthy esteem? Too much esteem? To the degree that people willfully dress as they please? Why do we judge? If we cover up what we consider "flaws" with our own bodies, that only shows what we think of ourselves as compared to....what....some standard? And if so, by whose standards? Do we not like our bodies? Do we see a "problem" with our bodies because we may be soft in some areas and plump in others? If we don't like what we see, why should we judge others who do?

People who see a person's body and is repulsed by it, what are they really thinking? ..ooO(that is ugly...they're too fat...now they should be ashamed of themselves to wear something like that! What were they thinking, that they looked good?) By what standard do we define "beauty" or how do we really decide what's eye-appealing? Do you think if we lived in a culture where large breasts hanging low, rounder tummies and broad hips were the "norm", we'd be repulsed when we saw women like this?

Should it be illegal for women to breastfeed in public or show their pregnant bellies in public? Is that repulsive to some too? It's cultural folks.

I'd rather challenge American society's standards of beauty and the fashion industry that perpetuates America's myths of beauty and give my sisters something to work with that works to flatter them. In the meantime, let them strut their stuff as long as it's not creating health problems for them.

The beholder that doesn't see "beauty" when they look, well, by which ruler are you using to measure it?

Amun-Ra

Feb 15, 2001
Dallas
Occupation
Sales Management
At last

I was beginning to wonder if we would have a dissenting word--yes! We criticize because we can--that is the only reason--on the other hand, I worry that we are not taken seriously and that we cannot do the same things as others folks--right or wrong--that is what I see--we have to be twice or thrice as good--everybody does it isn't enough--we must critique ourselves as a people and part of that has to do with what we laugh at behind the scenes and stand up for in public forums--it is a double edged sword--I have a list of things that as black people I think we cannot afford to be a part of, but it runs aground the shores of individual freedom and a benevolent dictator is still a dictator--I just know we can do better at a whole lot of things, but it means self-denial and that is something that I don't think we are ready to do. For instance, there isn't a thing wrong with taking a drink, but as a people liquor is the last thing we need when it comes to clear thinking and getting ahead. I love to party. Everyone loves to party, but maybe we should be busting *** developing businesses and ideas and let the rest party themselves into second-class citizenship. I care too much and that is the problem because I tend to see things in black and white and there is so much room in-between.

Ra

:heart:

Amun-Ra

Feb 15, 2001
Dallas
Occupation
Sales Management
I forgot what I was doing

I was well into a long dissertation when my computer went to the next page and I lost all I had typed--basically, all said was that essentially the world is a global village and westernism has touuched or tainted, however you like it, the remiander of the world. That doesn't mean it is all bad. Personally, I prefer dark, thin people as my amorous favorites. That is probably a very liited view considering the host of possibilities in what has become a global village. Perhaps, I am limiting myself unnaturally. There is a tendency toward thinking that everything out of Africa is good and everything out of Europe is bad which is absurd. Good ideas, inventions and technology are independent of their political origins as early settlers discovered when they stole idea and inventions from the Indians and slaves. They were good ideas. Unfortunately, there is a brand of Afrocentrism going about that lays claim to every significant discovery and invention in history with a straight face. Although, the current scientific theory shows that we all came out of Africa, claiming all people of African descent is also ludicrous because there is no clear line to make a delineation. Are the Egyptians Africans? Technically, they are. They live on the African continent, ergo, they must be Africans; or are they? Are the Spaniards who were conquered by the Moors of African descent? Yes and no. In the final analysis each determines their origins and lays claim to a particularly ethnicity. Claiming after the fact is no better than claiming relationship with a famous person. Eastern thought is often given short shrift even though Eastern cultures were civilized long before Western society climbed out of the trees and moved into caves. My point? Simply that we all have our individual tastes and they run according to local custom with local communities. For instance, in my home town there is a clear preference for big women among the black agrarian culture there. It has been like that for as long as I remember, but just a few miles away, slim women rule. What makes up the difference--I don't know. Maybe it is agrarian attitude versus an urban reality. Who knows, but it is fun to think about--why do we make the choices we do? Family? Friends? Society? All of the above? I wish I knew, but as you can see, I have no problem giving an opinion which means that everyone else can have one too and as to who is right--I don't think that can ever be settled.

Ra

:heart:

$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
STAFF
Mar 21, 2001
Da~WINDY*CITY //CHICAGO
Occupation
BUSINESS owner
what i'm saying is a big woman can look good at her size
but i mean look what they try to wear these tyte tops and
stuff that strips them from their beauty and guys too
they are even worse once u spread understand u can't get into that no more and it don't make u look good
don't get me wrong i have seen big women with high esteem
and i tell u they look good too the fashion of cloth they wear
make them look even better but if it don't fit don't force it !!!!
$R

serenti-poet

Apr 10, 2003
Atlanta
Occupation
High School Teacher
okay wooooo here I go....

me I am not how you say a big girl but I have some parts of my body that is juicer or thicker (as I like to say) then the average video girl. I know my limits my breast size is 34 C and I know that some shirts are cut too low and I just can't and will not wear it. it pains me to see a woman with my size breast OR bigger and a low cut shirt showing the strecth marks from the strain on her chest. also my behind is not as big as most but I am not absolutely flat I wear capris but if they are tight (which they hardly are because my body is beautiful without the tight fitting clothes) I wear a shirt that covers what God gave me. I look at talk shows since summer has rolled around and I'm not teaching and the shows (i.e. Jenny, Ricki, and yes Jerry) are just down right outrageous I am digusted at women especially beautiful black women disgracing thereselves in such a way that there body looks like who did it and why?

my body is one thing that I do have control over and I don't feel the need to put myself in tight clothing or clevage showing bras/shirts. I know some women actually seriously think they look good with there tight clothes and me being the person I am hate and yes seriously I hate hurting another feeling in any way because I know the feeling. BUT I will tell you what not to wear or what don't and won't look respectable to alls eyes if you are my girl my man or a friendly woman in a store.

I luv to see my sistahs and bruthas lookin good but some are just incapable of seeing what they really look like. I try my damnest to let people know it's just how I was brought up, if a womans hair is messed up I reach out put it back how it was or either tell her. BUT here is the problem people, women mostly get pissed the fullest when you even offer your advice. All the issues ya'll are discussin travels right back to the person. You never know what people think they look like, you never know what kind of day there having, all you know is that what they have on is not appealing to your eyes. I know I'm kinda traveling in circles but what I'm sayin is that basically ignorance is bliss. Women and men would rather ignore your comments, giggles, staring eyes, and offerings of help then actually take the time and listen to your advice. Because of course they have mirrors and they know they looked good when they woke up and put on those clothes, most will tell you there the best lookin out there. Well I don't know what to say but **** it's a never ending circle. We can not and probably will not change many peoples point of view on what they wear because to each his or her own right?

well it's gettin late and I have to post a few other things so until next time

I'm just sayin...

serenti-poet

Apr 10, 2003
Atlanta
Occupation
High School Teacher
p.s. Amun I don't appreciate the commment about teachers legs I'm in teacher and my legs don't look like pencils lol I'm jus sayin

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

sekou kasimu wrote on willa's profile.
What exactly is your ideology?!
I'll be honest. I like black culture forums, so I've signed up for this one, BX, and Lipstick Alley. I won't post too often, only on things that I'm really interested in. Nice to meet you. :)
Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.