destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Peace and Blessings Sisters,

I was wondering ... if you were pregnant ... married or not ... and you told "the Father of your unborn child" ... that "yall" were expecting a baby ... and he immediately (or eventually) asked for DNA tests, proving that fact ... what would be your response?

Would you offer to pay for the tests, easing his fears and concerns?

Would you welcome him to pay for it?

Would you be happy, angry, sad, understanding, or ready to stab him?

What would be your response, and why?

You don't gotta pick those above ... they're just examples ... :)

Is there a "right way" for a Brother to ask for DNA tests? If so, how?

Brothers ... of course you all are welcome to share your thoughts too ... :)

Thanks in advance Family ... :grouphug:

:heart:

Destee

Zulile

Jun 24, 2007
Occupation
HR/Finance
I would not hesitate - and I wouldn't be mad about it. In fact, I believe it should be a standard procedure - I believe it should be compulsory for all babies born out of wedlock, to protect the legal rights of the child should the couples relationship dissolve. If my relationship was steady and a baby welcome, I'd wait until the baby is born - if not, I'd go for in-utero (CVS) testing which can be done during the second trimester (but more $$) - and I'd pay for it if he refused, because I'd expect child support to start at birth and my cost will be reimbursed. ;)

Paternity Fraud is at an all time high, and the TRUTH is only one person can be 100% sure of the child's paternity. One of the first things ppl do when they hear about being pregnant is count back in time to discover where they were at conception :lol:

I would not hesitate to take a test because I'd know the results thus I would not be fearful. I would want my partner to be fully committed as soon as possible without any niggling of doubt. I think it is his right to be 100% sure, and I will not let my personal feelings rob the man of a simple truth, which he may need. On bad days, I dont want him to be looking at the baby trying to find his families features in it :lol: I also think that by hesitating to agree, one is simply adding fuel to the fire and raises only more doubt.

I imagine many women would feel as if their morals and integrity are being questioned - but most of us would be lying if we did not question our partners (even silently) at one point or another. I would not want any unhealthy, sub-conscious thoughts to hinder the development of what should be a wondrous bonding of father and child - no matter how small.

Again, paternity fraud is on the rise - fathers being held legally responsible for children they have been misled into believing are theirs. I think fathers should have the right to ask for paternity testing. We often speak about fathers and their responsibilities, but when it comes to rights they are often getting the short end of the stick - rights and responsibilities should go hand in hand.

Regarding the costs - Paternity testing can be pretty cheap these days.. can be done for around $100.

that's my $0.02

phynxofkemet

Jan 11, 2008
eartH (Heart) is my home
Occupation
child care provider
It depends

on the circumstances; if the child was a "surprise" from an intermittent affair, then yes I would have no problem with allowing the test; and both parties could split the cost.

On the other hand, in my personal situation we had planned the pregnancy, I told him when I was fertile to conceive and we went for it. In the years we were together I had no indiscretions or other indications of an outside lover, so had he turned and asked me for a DNA test I would have felt well.... :flamet: no need to go there really.... :em2300:

If a couple is married or have been together, and the wife is loyal, I see no reason to ask for a DNA test, it's rather an insinuation in many respects.

However, I also will be raising a boy child, and I want him to protect himself by first not having unprotected sex, especially with a womban he hasn't made any commitments to, and secondly knowing which responsibilities are his and handling them. So, I can empathsize with the need for these services as well.

How do you go about asking? I think it's a topic that ought to be brought up in a neutral zone, with a planned approach, and definately in person. However, pregnancy hormones may be quite volatile, so I might consider a place where you have privacy and offers some discretion should she become emotional.

It's kind of like a pre-nup, is there ever really a great way to ask someone for it?

Zulile

Jun 24, 2007
Occupation
HR/Finance
Yes - the easiest way to ask is: to understand & agree on the process BEFORE it gets that far :lol: In a sexual relationship both parties should know how the other feels about potential pregnancies and it should be re-discussed in line with how the relationship develops. The whole "what if" conversation should include talk about paternity testing.

Feb 26, 2008
If you get down like that

I would not hesitate - and I wouldn't be mad about it. In fact, I believe it should be a standard procedure - I believe it should be compulsory for all babies born out of wedlock, to protect the legal rights of the child should the couples relationship dissolve. If my relationship was steady and a baby welcome, I'd wait until the baby is born - if not, I'd go for in-utero (CVS) testing which can be done during the second trimester (but more $$) - and I'd pay for it if he refused, because I'd expect child support to start at birth and my cost will be reimbursed. ;)

Paternity Fraud is at an all time high, and the TRUTH is only one person can be 100% sure of the child's paternity. One of the first things ppl do when they hear about being pregnant is count back in time to discover where they were at conception :lol:

I would not hesitate to take a test because I'd know the results thus I would not be fearful. I would want my partner to be fully committed as soon as possible without any niggling of doubt. I think it is his right to be 100% sure, and I will not let my personal feelings rob the man of a simple truth, which he may need. On bad days, I dont want him to be looking at the baby trying to find his families features in it :lol: I also think that by hesitating to agree, one is simply adding fuel to the fire and raises only more doubt.

I imagine many women would feel as if their morals and integrity are being questioned - but most of us would be lying if we did not question our partners (even silently) at one point or another. I would not want any unhealthy, sub-conscious thoughts to hinder the development of what should be a wondrous bonding of father and child - no matter how small.

Again, paternity fraud is on the rise - fathers being held legally responsible for children they have been misled into believing are theirs. I think fathers should have the right to ask for paternity testing. We often speak about fathers and their responsibilities, but when it comes to rights they are often getting the short end of the stick - rights and responsibilities should go hand in hand.

Regarding the costs - Paternity testing can be pretty cheap these days.. can be done for around $100.

that's my $0.02

Then i get it. Me? I dont. However you make some good points. But are we talking about commitedr elationships here? Cause if we are, then I for one would END it right there. now i am speaking from a brothers standpoint. If my Women even has to ask.... then someone else is firing the gun. :) Also, I have never had to and would never have to ask. I choose real careful.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Liberty Black Entertainment : Beyonce's pregnant with TWINS! Jay-Z's wife reveals surprise baby news while putting her big bump on Black Entertainment 11
jamesfrmphilly Black People : pastor-pregnant-wont-stop-preaching Black People Open Forum 1
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : renee-davis-pregnant fatally-shot by pigs Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 4
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Paphos-Venus pregnant by castracted St. Paul AACOOLDRE 0
jamesfrmphilly Health and Wellness : nine months pregnant.... Black Health and Wellness 1
Inanna Black Parenting : When did you tell your child(ren) you were pregnant? Black Parenting 3
dunwiddat Sudan : Sudanese Court Sentences Pregnant Woman to Death for Apostasy - Nothing More than Barbarism Sudan 26
C Black Relationships : help - i'm pregnant but boyfriend won't prove he's left other woman Black Relationships 15
ru2religious Black People : Police Kicked 9 month pregnant black woman in the stomach Black People Open Forum 31
Destee Single Black Mothers : Hi My Name is Destee and I am a Single Black Mother - Pregnant at 16 - Gave Birth at 17 Black Women 41
$$RICH$$ Black People : PREGNANT TEEN GUNNED DOWN Black People Open Forum 3
Indigo Blues Black Women : "No Woman, No Cry,” the personal stories of 4 pregnant women and their caregivers Black Women 0
anAfrican Black People : Pregnant woman tazored for not signing a traffic ticket Black People Open Forum 48
cherryblossom Black Children : Can A Pregnant Teen Be A Role Model? Black Children 19
P Black Poetry : I Don't Wanna Be Pregnant Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
P Black Women : Getting Pregnant Black Women 3
T Black People : Breaking News! Pregnant Woman Tasered Black People Open Forum 2
D Black Entertainment : Halle Berry Pregnant ? (Pictures) Black Entertainment 0
D Black Women : Women could produce sperm and be pregnant Black Women 15
R Black Poetry : This is How my Girlfriend's Friend Got Pregnant Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
ibrahim Black Jokes Humor : MY WIFE MADE ME PREGNANT Black Jokes Humor 4
P Black People : US jails 'shackle pregnant women' Black People Open Forum 0
B Black Children : PREGNANT Black Children 3
M Black Poetry : Pregnant Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
M Poetry Critiques : Pregnant Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
I Black Relationships : Men, oops "she" gets pregnant!! Now what? Women, oops "YOU're" pregnant! Now what? Black Relationships 22
L Black Poetry : ...No Longer Pregnant... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 20
L Black Poetry : ...I'm Pregnant... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 31
F Black Entertainment : Toni Braxton Is 4 Months Pregnant Black Entertainment 2
W Black Poetry : Angry Pregnant Woman Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 25
SwagII Black Relationships : "NO ONE WANTS TO GIVE UP ON SOMEONE THEY LOVE" Black Relationships 0
O Black People : Who Wants to Bounce? Black People Open Forum 0
O Black People : Who Wants to Dance? (Kids Video) Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black People : In Executive Actions, Trump Extends Unemployment Benefits, Defers Payroll Taxes - Wants to Say He Helped the People and Democrat Congress Didn't Black People Open Forum 1
S Black People Politics : Egypt Wants Okonjo-Iweala Disqualified From World Trade Organisation DG Post Black People Politics 0
OldSoul Black People : White Woman Identified After Being Filmed Saying She Wants To Kill N****** Black People Open Forum 1
R Black Poetry : Mother wants a pound of meat go down the street to buy Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Saints season-ticket holder suing team; wants refund after player protests of national anthem Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Liberia : Meet The Multi-millionaire Who Wants To Be President Of Liberia replacing Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Liberia 18
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : WATCH: Confused 5-Year-Old Wants to Know Where Barack Obama Went Black People Politics 1
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : congressman-who-wants-to-impeach-trump-receiving-lynching-threats Black People Politics 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : NAACP wants new direction..... Black People Politics 4
Liberty Black Short Stories : Here’s What Happened When Yahoo! Finance Tweeted, ‘Trump Wants a Much N–ger Navy’ Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : lee-daniels-wants-white-people-to-feel-good-about-being-white Black People Politics 7
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : Video: Albert King - SANTA CLAUS WANTS SOME LOVIN' Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Liberty Black Entertainment : Afeni Shakur’s husband wants some of Tupac’s money in divorce settlement Black Entertainment 5
Liberty Law Forum : Five Judges Ruled This Man Innocent. California Wants to Execute Him Anyway Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Arkansas governor wants Civil War icon separated from MLK holiday Black People Politics 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : ISIS wants you Black People Politics 12
Liberty Black People Politics : Jeb Bush Wants A Recession In Washington. For African-Americans, There Already Is One. Black People Politics 10