Health and Wellness : Would You Want Your Incurable Medical Diagnosis Hid From You?

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Peace and Blessings Family,

I just read where Valerie Harper's husband hid her incurable medical diagnosis from her.

How would you feel if your spouse, significant other, etc., hid such a thing from you?

Is this even legal? How can the doctors tell her husband and not tell her?

Is this business as usual ... keeping an adult patient in the dark?

Whatcha think?

:heart:

Destee

info-moetry

STAFF
STAFF
Dec 20, 2004
The rotten Apple
Occupation
A+ technician
peace

It seems that in this instance, maybe the husband felt that telling her would do more harm than good. Sometimes knowing can speed up the end result, or cause major depression and other deadly symptoms that not knowing at all wouldn't cause.....

just :thinking:

cherryblossom

Feb 28, 2009
Peace and Blessings Family,

I just read where Valerie Harper's husband hid her incurable medical diagnosis from her.

How would you feel if your spouse, significant other, etc., hid such a thing from you?

Whatcha think?

Destee
The doctors told the husband first. He couldn't speak on it, initially.

Then, the doctors told her.

...In a preview of the interview, Harper revealed that the news of her condition — a lethal and rare cancer named leptomeningeal carcinomatosis — was so devastating that her doctors initially didn't share it with her. Instead, they told her husband, Tony Cacciotti, before Harper found out.

"I didn't get [the diagnosis] because my husband hid it. Poor baby, he was so bereft," Harper said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/valerie-harper-husband-hid-diagnosis-article-1.1283266#ixzz2NKlzTygO

Enki

The Evolved Amphibian
STAFF
Aug 27, 2010
The Third Plane of Existence
Occupation
Civil Eng.

Whatcha think?

Destee
Oooo..Goog question...

Going on my personal experience, dishonesty is often borne from compassion and genuine concern. It's hard to quantify the significant of hope to the ill, as was the case with my niece that died from cancer at the age of 17. But at some point being more positive than was needed was, IMO the best course of action because it made no difference in the treatment or the outcome.

Peace!

info-moetry

STAFF
STAFF
Dec 20, 2004
The rotten Apple
Occupation
A+ technician
Oooo..Goog question...

Going on my personal experience, dishonesty is often borne from compassion and genuine concern. It's hard to quantify the significant of hope to the ill, as was the case with my niece that died from cancer at the age of 17. But at some point being more positive than was needed was, IMO the best course of action because it made no difference in the treatment or the outcome.

Peace!
peace

In this instance, i don't think the husband was being 'dishonest' though.

.........hold on, i have to go look up the word 'quantify' . BrB

ok, i'm back.

We must remember that it is highly likely that the husband, upon hearing the news from the Dr. was highly upset and more than likely distrought over finding out about her condition as well. It was also 'news' to him. He probably went somewhere, like a bathroom in the hospital or wherever he was when he first heard about it and cried out loud, looking up towards the ceiling screaming out WHY!!

It's not exact the same situation, but i'm reminded of when my son was born and his mother was getting a C-section. While the doctors are there talking about sports, laughing and joking with each other, there i am sitting next to her looking inside of her belly as one of the nurses asks her if she wants some more demoral and she nods yes, exitedly while holding my hands. After a while, as the doctors are still snipping and cutting to get to my son she looks up at me and asks 'WHAT ARE THEY DOING TO ME'? At this point is where, like the husband you have to ask yourself is the truth going to help or hurt your mate?

Destee Chat

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on Joyce's profile.
Thanks for the Blessing! Love You! :kiss:
Making sure I do more than I did yesterday. Progress is the Concept.
Ms Drea wrote on yahsistah's profile.
Welcome Back Sister!!
Love and Blessings!!
Hey Sister Destee just logged in to say Love you and miss you much! Hope you are well.
Destee wrote on candeesweet's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! :love: ... it's good to see you! I hope you and yours are all well and staying safe. I Love You! :kiss: