Health and Wellness : Would You Want Your Incurable Medical Diagnosis Hid From You?

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Peace and Blessings Family,

I just read where Valerie Harper's husband hid her incurable medical diagnosis from her.

How would you feel if your spouse, significant other, etc., hid such a thing from you?

Is this even legal? How can the doctors tell her husband and not tell her?

Is this business as usual ... keeping an adult patient in the dark?

Whatcha think?

:heart:

Destee

info-moetry

STAFF
STAFF
Dec 20, 2004
The rotten Apple
Occupation
A+ technician
peace

It seems that in this instance, maybe the husband felt that telling her would do more harm than good. Sometimes knowing can speed up the end result, or cause major depression and other deadly symptoms that not knowing at all wouldn't cause.....

just :thinking:

cherryblossom

Feb 28, 2009
Peace and Blessings Family,

I just read where Valerie Harper's husband hid her incurable medical diagnosis from her.

How would you feel if your spouse, significant other, etc., hid such a thing from you?

Whatcha think?

Destee

The doctors told the husband first. He couldn't speak on it, initially.

Then, the doctors told her.

...In a preview of the interview, Harper revealed that the news of her condition — a lethal and rare cancer named leptomeningeal carcinomatosis — was so devastating that her doctors initially didn't share it with her. Instead, they told her husband, Tony Cacciotti, before Harper found out.

"I didn't get [the diagnosis] because my husband hid it. Poor baby, he was so bereft," Harper said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/valerie-harper-husband-hid-diagnosis-article-1.1283266#ixzz2NKlzTygO

Enki

The Evolved Amphibian
STAFF
Aug 27, 2010
The Third Plane of Existence
Occupation
Civil Eng.

Whatcha think?

Destee

Oooo..Goog question...

Going on my personal experience, dishonesty is often borne from compassion and genuine concern. It's hard to quantify the significant of hope to the ill, as was the case with my niece that died from cancer at the age of 17. But at some point being more positive than was needed was, IMO the best course of action because it made no difference in the treatment or the outcome.

Peace!

info-moetry

STAFF
STAFF
Dec 20, 2004
The rotten Apple
Occupation
A+ technician
Oooo..Goog question...

Going on my personal experience, dishonesty is often borne from compassion and genuine concern. It's hard to quantify the significant of hope to the ill, as was the case with my niece that died from cancer at the age of 17. But at some point being more positive than was needed was, IMO the best course of action because it made no difference in the treatment or the outcome.

Peace!

peace

In this instance, i don't think the husband was being 'dishonest' though.

.........hold on, i have to go look up the word 'quantify' . BrB

ok, i'm back.

We must remember that it is highly likely that the husband, upon hearing the news from the Dr. was highly upset and more than likely distrought over finding out about her condition as well. It was also 'news' to him. He probably went somewhere, like a bathroom in the hospital or wherever he was when he first heard about it and cried out loud, looking up towards the ceiling screaming out WHY!!

It's not exact the same situation, but i'm reminded of when my son was born and his mother was getting a C-section. While the doctors are there talking about sports, laughing and joking with each other, there i am sitting next to her looking inside of her belly as one of the nurses asks her if she wants some more demoral and she nods yes, exitedly while holding my hands. After a while, as the doctors are still snipping and cutting to get to my son she looks up at me and asks 'WHAT ARE THEY DOING TO ME'? At this point is where, like the husband you have to ask yourself is the truth going to help or hurt your mate?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kemetstry Science and Technology : INCURABLE DISEASE SPREADS IN CALI Science and Technology 40
S Black People : Medical Company Lies About Obamacare To Boost Profits Black People Open Forum 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Paul's Epistle to the Laodiceans & their Eye care medical school AACOOLDRE 0
Liberty Health and Wellness : White Scientist Says The Black Community Is Being Targeted By The Medical System, They Are Deliberat Black Health and Wellness 6
Liberty Health and Wellness : Medical Marijuana vs Recreational:What's The Difference? Black Health and Wellness 8
Liberty Black People : Medical Historian Examines NIMH Experiments in Crowding Black People Open Forum 0
RAPTOR Black People : Mindy Kaling’s brother says she knew he pretended to be black, in order to get into medical school Black People Open Forum 0
dunwiddat Health and Wellness : Africa's Medical Infrastructure Black Health and Wellness 0
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : Religion -- One Needs "Full" Medical Coverage Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 51
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : The Medical Schools With the Highest Percentage of Graduates Who Are Black Black Education / Schools 22
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : Dr. Bao, the medical examiner will be filing a lawsuit v samford FL Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 8
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Ontario doctors want to launch clinic devoted solely to medical marijuana Black People Open Forum 0
Alarm Clock Black Positive People : Young African Invents Touch Screen Medical Tablet Black People Doing Positive Things 0
legit-writer Black People : Buying Your Medical Records Online Black People Open Forum 12
Destee Health and Wellness : What Medicine / Medical Treatments are Specific To Race? Black Health and Wellness 14
S Black People : Police Called Out on Medical Alert Shoot Dead 68 Year Old Black Veteran Black People Open Forum 2
RAPTOR Black People : "Deadly Monopolies": Medical Ethicist Harriet Washington on How Firms are Taking Over Life Itself Black People Open Forum 5
noor100 Black Muslims : Medical Benefits of Ramadan Islam Study Group 4
4 Black People : MEDICAL MARIJUANA DOCTOR Black People Open Forum 2
J Black People : anybody ever read MEDICAL APARTHEID? about black people Black People Open Forum 2
SpiritualONE Medical Experimentation on Blacks Black Health and Wellness 3
kemetkind Medical Apartheid- Black Health and Wellness 0
J Black Poetry : Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
D Black People : man kills daughter because he doubted her virginity even after medical exam Black People Open Forum 11
D The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans... Black Health and Wellness 1
R Black Money Business Jobs : Healthcare Medical Nurse Recruiter Career Are In Demand- Will Train Black Money Business Jobs 1
D Medical Wisdom: Let us share our knowledge. Black Health and Wellness 12
P Black People : Quintuplets Born at UMd. Medical Center Black People Open Forum 2
A Black Jokes Humor : redneck medical terms Black Jokes Humor 6
Heartbeat Black Haiku : A Medical Misread Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Bishop Quiet Poetry Lounge : Medical Update Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Dementia vs. Alzheimer's: Differences, Diagnosis and Treatment Black Health and Wellness 0
A Black Poetry : Diagnosis of Me Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
LISTERSCRIBIN' Black Poetry : Diagnosis Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 26