Black People : Work begins on memorial to Africans

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
To the rhythmic beat of African drums, 20 city high school students gathered yesterday in lower Manhattan to mark the beginning of construction of a granite memorial for the African Burial Ground.
Jahi-Abasi Jabbar, a junior at the Frederick Douglass Academy II in Harlem, attended the groundbreaking not with a shovel, but a white flag emblazoned with a yellow heart-shaped African symbol called a sankofa.

"It's a connection where I know my people will always be with me," said Jahi-Abasi, 15. "I feel I can carry on what they fought for and teach it to others. They fought for freedom."

Sankofa translates to "look to the past to inform the future."

Designed by architect Rodney Leon, the circular memorial will be finished by October 2006, according to the federal General Services Administration, which is overseeing the project on Duane St. near Broadway.

More than 20,000 enslaved and free Africans who worked as dockworkers, barrel makers and carpenters in old New York were buried in the 18th century cemetery.

"Two hundred years ago, the African Burial Ground was closed and fill was placed on top of it," said Howard Dodson, head of the Schomburg Center of Black Culture in Harlem. "The existence of the African Burial Ground as a historical place was wiped away from our memory."

"This monument will be an instrument to insure that we never forget again," said Dodson.

Leon was humbled that his design will honor such an important legacy.

"It's overwhelming and unbelievable that the ideas I was inspired by from the ancestors will be constructed as a permanent memorial," said Leon.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/350829p-299247c.html

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Oklahoma begins Tulsa race massacre centennial remembrance African American History Culture 2
Kemetstry Health and Wellness : TESTING BEGINS ON NEW ALZHEIMERS DRUG Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Short Stories : Seattle author begins a crucial discussion in ‘So You Want to Talk About Race’ Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
nilevalley Black People Politics : How will America react when Trump begins to deport Hispanics? Black People Politics 7
Kemetstry Black People : WHITE BACKLASH BEGINS? Black People Open Forum 13
coey30 Black Poetry : Change Begins Within ME... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Alarm Clock Ethiopia : Trial Begins for American Couple Accused of Starving Adopted Ethiopian Girl to Death Ethiopia 4
rapchild Black Poetry : The search begins Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Bishop Black Poetry : Weapons of AZ Destruction - An Xtreme War Begins Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 55
A Black Events : Summer Akan (Twi), Yorùbá and Wölöf Class Session Begins Week of June 9th, 2008 Black Events 0
A Black People : Yoruba In Chicago Begins October 8, 2007!!! Black People Open Forum 0
Kemetstry Black People : THE BACKLASH BEGINS!!!! Black People Open Forum 2
G Black Authors : BATTLE POETRY, the battle begins Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
P Black Poetry : My Pain on Paper...and so it begins... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
Bishop Black Poetry : Where Love Begins (Haiku) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
H Black Poetry : Where November Begins...(November trilogy #1) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : New Emmett Till Memorial Will Be Made Bulletproof, Group Says African American History Culture 4
Kemetstry Black People : BLACK PEOPLE FOUNDED MEMORIAL DAY! Black People Open Forum 0
R Black Poetry : HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY On Sunday we pray the last Monday in May is Memorial // Day in a pastoral way cel Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
OldSoul Black People : Lynching memorial rewrites American history Black People Open Forum 4
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : This new lynching memorial rewrites American history African American History Culture 3
R Black Poetry : HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY On Sunday we pray the last Monday in May is Memorial // Day in a pastoral way ce Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
chuck Black People Politics : Any Comments About Obama's Memorial Day Speech In Japan? Black People Politics 6
R Black Poetry : HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
KingSango Black People : FBI orders new agents to see MLK Memorial Black People Open Forum 2
Alarm Clock Black Women : Memorial Day honor to Nana Harriet Tubman Black Women 5
Alarm Clock Black Men : Memorial Day honor to Minister Nat Turner Black Men 3
cherryblossom Black Ancestors : Memorial Day: Sankofa Honoring Black Ancestors 15
Ankhur Black People : Questionable OTHER Dedictions at the Dr Martin Luther King Memorial in DC Black People Open Forum 1
Ankhur Black People : NAACP to protest Confederate memorial celebration in SC Black People Open Forum 0
Ankhur Black People : First Americans Memorial Day today Black People Open Forum 6
Ankhur Black Entertainment : Memorial Day movie, "Miracle of St Anna" or "American Gangster"? Black Entertainment 0
Ankhur Black People : Memorial Day time of Tribute to Our Soldiers Black People Open Forum 1
cherryblossom African American History Culture : The Clayton-Jackson-McGhie Memorial, Duluth, MN African American History Culture 0
river Black People : Recording of Michael Jackson's Memorial Service Live Black People Open Forum 7
THE-GOD Black People : Anybody ever been to the George Washington Masonic Memorial? Black People Open Forum 0
R Black People : Confederate War Memorial Black People Open Forum 10
$$RICH$$ Quiet Poetry Lounge : REMEMBERING .......A MEMORIAL Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
Destee Pan Africanism : First Memorial to Black Victims of Nazi Genocide African American History Culture 0
D African American History Culture : Ithaca, NY Memorial pays honor to 26 African-American Civil War vets African American History Culture 0
O Black People : a memorial observance Black People Open Forum 5
Aaliyahmonet Black People : Ronald Reagan Memorial Black People Open Forum 14
D Black Poetry : Memorial to loved ones and friends Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Queenie Black Children : Alabama town plans memorial to black teens Black Children 1
E Black People : Should they rebuiid some new business where the WTC was or make it a memorial spot? Black People Open Forum 1
Aaliyahmonet Black Poetry : Memorial Day Loss Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : Memorial Day ! Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : Memories On Memorial Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 14
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Scientists say thousands of years ago West Africans migrated to east and southern Africa via Zambia Zané Lombard Science and Technology 0
Orisons Science and Technology : Africans have produced a reliable $1 US Corona virus testing kit. Science and Technology 0