Black People : Why Go Where You Are Mistreated?

Destee

destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Hello Family,

With all due respect to those who are in the midst of the boycott of that other discussion forum, i can't help but wonder ... why do you even go there if you are not being treated properly? Increasing their page views, post counts, advertiser views, making them money ... as you spend your precious time and energy fighting, pleading, for folk to treat you right, who have never treated you right. And then when they do give you some token of consideration as a result of the screaming you've done, do you think you've changed them?

Just being involved in these kinds of fights must affect one's health and well being to some degree, even if it's small. Is it not enough that we have to fight for respect and proper consideration on the job, at the grocery store, or where ever else we can't avoid going. Must we put this additional burden on our back, by supporting (with our presence) those places that obviously mean us no good.

I feel the same about their television programming, watching the videos and begging them to represent us more positively. Why do we continue to support them by tuning in? All we have to do is stop.

I don't understand why you'd be there, when you can be here, where none of that drama exists.

I just don't understand. Please help me.

Thanks Yall :)

:heart:

Destee

napturaltwistie

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 9, 2003
This is a good post.I don't know anything about what's going on with the other forum(whatever forum it is), but i will try to explain why black people fight so hard to make T.v. shows represent us in a more positive light.

the more we allow anti-black shows to stay on T.v., the more anti-black sentiment increases. You all may kick me for this, but this, but many whites who have very little contact with black culture only learn about black culture through the images they see in the media, and for many of them, this is the reason they see blacks in a negative light. this is one of the main reasons so many foreigners come to america with hate in their hearts for black people, even many of our own african brothers and sisters immediately come to america with contempt for African americans. Hatred for blacks is the REASON oppression still exists. Without hate, we wouldn't be oppressed. Believe it or not, media images have a lot of control over the mind,anti-black media images serve as a gateway to hatred, which leads to oppression.We wouldn't be able to watch T.v. at all if we just decided to not watch T.v. without forcing the media to portray us in a more positive light. we would still be stuck back in the step n fetch days in terms of the media. We should have the right to be comfortable, kick back, relax and watch t.V. just like everyonelse without feeling degraded. black children should have the luxury of watching t.v. just like anyonelse.

peace

happy69

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 3, 2002
Destee,
You are right on point. I don't know what it is! TBWT was a good site... run and owned by a black man---I forget his name, but the reporter for the Amsterdam -- Newspaper... he let his site get overrun with racists.... I left....others eventually left...but some just stayed (smart, bright brothers and sisters) and kept on trying to understand the mental deformities of others...trying to explain, and literally justify why we EXIST... TBWT is gone... I would get emails asking when I was coming back--- I never did...
The same thing will happen with BET...I left almost 2 years ago... recently in midst the "boycott" I checked back---they have a disclaimer stating that they will change things..... I don't think that it has...

But, can you apply our seeming inability to focus on us and our health... this hundreds of years of experience w/ trying to be accepted, of wanting and waiting for love---when we surely have and continue to give it to everyone but ourselves have failed...but we still trying...we are getting sicker by the day...

Why do we trample into stores in our communities where we are disrespected and humiliated...and where none of the profits come into the community...while we pay for better property values, schools and services in other communities and then cry that our own are in shambles?

There are some places in this country that we should stop going period...never return!

Okay, I will quit.

HODEE

Alonewolf
PREMIUM MEMBER
Jul 2, 2003
It may a desire to never give in. To feel like you never gave up the fight. I may be it started out good. Then when it got bitter. You stayed to try and change the flow of hate. Why do we stay? If it was a job.. you may want to quit.. but can't. Especially today. If it was a relationship.. you may have no place else to go. If the one that hates and divides would leave... relations would improve. So I support the boycott.

Everybody has something to contribute. A thought over here. A remark over there. Think about it. They are all relationships to a degree. It may be worth fighting for. Sometimes you find yourself in a battle. Not knowing how it happened. See that forum started without registering... by the time they started the registering.. It was full of the drag. I visited .. it is softening up. So it isn't what I left several months ago.

Most of the hate comes from the young. They haven't even gotten out of high school. It makes them feel good to say those words.. but words never hurt. I can ignore your words.

I think it gets better when we don't respond. I walk away from folks talking trash. I keep one eye on them... A ignore option or more of the members being moderators would be a good thing. The site admin.. taking positive stands against the threats and hate flying both ways would be another solution.

You don't quit. Some will fight until they are no longer standing. So I couldn't speak for others.. I don't always get it right. Even when I try. Some speak about not wanting us in the United States... so where do we go. You can't run. Should never run. Never quit. I think I have the right to be any where. Any time. I desire. I admire those that stay in the trenches. Without them.. it would be a losing battle.

Queenie

PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
Good post HODEE. But even the strong need to be revived; to go somewhere comforting, supportive and empowering in order to rebuild their strength. One has to ask whether the fight is worth the energy and what good will be gained by staying in places or around people whose only goal is to drain warriors of the best in them.

Let's face it, some people, including our people, are just like vampires. They only want to suck the life giving blood out of you and give you trash in return. I believe that energy should be spent in places where it will do the most good and some places are just not ready yet for the serious discussions and intellectual exchange of ideas that takes place here.

True, sometimes there will be battles to fight and many of us are not afraid of the challenge or to stand up for what we believe in. But if we're going to fight, let's do it with dignity and respect and for a good and worthy cause and not to constantly defend ourselves from the illnesses displayed by the sick and ignorant minds of our people.

Look at your tagline--there is power in those words and the meaning behind the words. Maybe the other discussion forum will come around eventually. But in the meantime, isn't it refreshing to have a place to visit each day and know that you are being taken seriously and treated with respect?

:)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Al D Science and Technology : The Race To Space ( Back To Where We Come From?) Science and Technology 0
HODEE Black Entertainment : Where is the Love? Black Entertainment 1
Fine1952 Black People : Where Are The Militia? Black People Open Forum 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Viola Davis Just Bought the Former Plantation Where She Was Born African American History Culture 1
Kemetstry Black Positive People : LEGALLY ARMED BROTHERS PATROL AREA WHERE ARBERY WAS KILLED Black People Doing Positive Things 1
HODEE Black People : I heard of this organization _ Saw on TV where they are seriously helping New York Black People Open Forum 0
J Black Poetry : In a vessel from my broken heart where my eternal love for you is stored, bloody ink of love of love of suffering, with red tears of sorrow I write ab Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Destee Black People : What / Where is Black Twitter? Black People Open Forum 9
OldSoul Black People : Black Teens Receive 11 Life Sentences in Crime Where No One Was Hurt Black People Open Forum 2
Angela22 Black People : Where's everyone? Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Egypt : Treasure Trove Discovered at Egypt’s Atlantis, Where Cleopatra Was Crowned Egypt 0
OldSoul Black People : Lisa Trotter - where that other movie came from Black People Open Forum 1
OldSoul Black People : Where in Africa? Black People Open Forum 1
Perfection Law Forum : In Context Series: Where the Guns Come from-- The Gun Industry and Gun Commerce Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
R Black Poetry : This stuff is digital up to snuff and visible which mean it can be seen, where your contact lens? f Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Clyde C Coger Jr The Police : Where does police brutality fit in America's first law enforcement museum? Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 4
K The Front Porch : where is the bible of africa ? The Front Porch 8
OldSoul Black People : Where did suburbs come from? Black People Open Forum 1
R Black Poetry : been in nations where inflation grew enough to do stuff Increase in prices scuff The market not up t Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : been in nations where inflation grew enough to do stuff to the buying power of the dollar took a sho Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Where Billy Graham 'missed the mark' Christian Study Group 3
Mister Aten Steals and Deals : Where can I purchase authentic Made in Africa Dashikis? Shopping - Steals and Deals! 13
D Black People : Where Do White People Come From? YouTube Series Black People Open Forum 5
Wec_Mez_Pescatarian Black Spirituality Religion : Where's brother blackroots/afrknroots? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 5
Clyde C Coger Jr Africa : Where is 'Nambia'? President Trump 'invents' African country All Things Africa 1
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : A founder of Black Lives Matter answers a question on many minds: Where did it go? African American History Culture 4
I Support : Where to start in IFA Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 1
Proud Biracial Law Forum : Where Is The Thread Covering This Travesty Of Justice Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Where is Black Political Leadership in America in 2017 and 2018? Black People Politics 10
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : WATCH: Confused 5-Year-Old Wants to Know Where Barack Obama Went Black People Politics 1
JenaBee63 Black People : Black women has a toddler stuck where? Black People Open Forum 1
Liberty Black Entertainment : New TV show where white actor Joseph Fiennes plays Michael Jackson Black Entertainment 5
K Black Poetry : WHERE YOU BEAN LIKE GARBANZO Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Al D Black People : Where are the #Oscars So White Voices Black People Open Forum 38
A Black Men : Where can I meet and greet anyone and learn more about the Nation of Gods and Earths. Black Men 1
chuck Black Jokes Humor : Where Do You Get Your Laff On These Days?!? Black Jokes Humor 0
Titoub Black Relationships : Where is Destee Personals? Black Relationships 4
chuck Violaters / Violations : Where Can I Air My Gripes To The Moderators?? Violators and Violations (Possible Ones) 26
Kemetstry Black Relationships : WHERE SAGGING PANTS CAME FROM Black Relationships 8
Black Phoenix Science and Technology : Girls to Men:The astonishing Dominican village where little girls turn into boys Science and Technology 3
Liberty Black People Politics : Meet Bernie Sanders: Where the Black Voter Fits Into His Ambitious Plan Black People Politics 5
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Travel : Think Before You Drink: Where in the World is Tap Water Safe Black Travel 2
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Live From the Apollo, AZ where the sun strips U Dry AACOOLDRE 0
Desert Storm Black Poetry : Where will the future take us? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
imhotep06 Black People : PRE-ORDER: Where is the love? How Language Can Reorient Us Back to Love’s Purpose Black People Open Forum 0
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : Where Love roams Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
SuperCerebralgal Health and Wellness : Where can I buy some incense? Black Health and Wellness 0
blazejay Black People : Where to now? Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul OldSoul : There are 620 million people in Africa without electricity. Here's where they live. OldSoul 8
Kadijah The Police : MO. State Police seize control of Ferguson (where Mike Brown murdered) from Local Cops Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 5