Black Short Stories : Why do Roses have thorns?

Qwamii

Jun 12, 2007
Why do roses have thorns

“Qwamii” my Ganama called out. “Comon! We gotta go get some berries!” I liked following Ganama through the fields I got to taste all the sweet fruits. I’d hold on to her the hem of her dress while she test what seemed to be like every berry for the perfect ness of size, color and smell. About once every stop she’d ask, “Do you think these are good enough?” That was my queue. “I done know Ganama,” She’d then give me a smile as if she knew I just wanted to taste one. “Here, why don’t you try this …?” “Okay!” I’d say before she could even get the whole statement out. “That one was good Ganama, I think they’d be OK”.

“Be careful!” she yelled out stopping me dead in my tracks. I was so taken by the taste of the berry I just had I didn’t realize that I almost walked into a rose bush. “You see you have to be more careful son. These flowers here are very precious”, she went on to explain. “Why?” I asked. She went on, “they are the most fragile but carry a lovely fragrance, a fragrance that gives hope to all that can smell”. “Can I try Ganama?” I anxiously asked. “Sure son but be careful”. I rushed in to get a smell of this beautiful flower. I couldn’t quite get close enough so I reached out and grabbed it. My eyes started to fill with water as I felt the sting in my little hand. My Ganama heard the whimper of a 3 year old. “You forgot to ask it if you could enjoy the pleasure of its smell Qwamii” she said as she held my hand. “Ganama, if the smell is going to give me hope why does it have knives?” I whimpered. “They all don’t have THORNS son”. They have a beautiful smell that everyone wants to themselves instead of sharing and when they’re done smelling them they toss them. One day just one rose bush was tired of being picked, used and thrown out. It grew thorns so that the wrong people would stay away. But when it grew thorns it hurt the bush that was next to it, so that one had to grow thorns. Soon just about every rose bush have thorns”. She then pointed to one particular rose bush and said, “Not all roses have thorns Qwamii”. That is the one that you have to nurture so that it can tell and show the rest of them that we truly love them. Soon they will heal and give hope to everything freely again.” I heard every word and could only reply “Ganama do roses talk?” She laughed and said “yes son, but you’re too young to know there language. You’re young now; one day when you get older you’ll find a special rose. If you do as I say that rose will help others to heal and give hope to all once again.”

Thank you Ganama
~Qwamii~

watzinaname

Oct 4, 2003
Northeast
Yes, what isn't nurtured grows a sharp shield of protection, what is nurtured reaches out and offers the same. A potent message, wrapped up in an endearing story. Much enjoyed!

queentswana

Jan 24, 2004
Brick City
Occupation
day care provider (own business)
First I must :bowdown: to your Grandma ...deep warrior Queen!!
Wow, I am speech-less ...not because I have nothing to say, but because it's hard to add to "Truth" .."Wisdon" and "Royality!!
Awesome piece poet, awesome indeed.

LovesDestiny

Dec 10, 2007
Midwest
Occupation
Finance & Endless Possibilities
For a man of few words you sure said a mouthful!!!! I agree with Sis. Watz, Sis Ssalaams89 and Queen. This was very profound. It made me think of myself...

Very "Interested"...LOL!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
$$RICH$$ Quiet Poetry Lounge : COPLAND gang of roses Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Poetry : Roses Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 37
KaHotep Black Poetry : Extreme Races and Roses Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
DymePlaya2g Black Poetry : Black stars...and...Translucent roses...Dedicated to the Destee Family!!! Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 13
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : Candles of Three and Three Roses Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 14
1poetsought Black Poetry : Her Day of Wine and Roses Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
N Black Poetry : Roses & Apple Tree Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
M Black Relationships : Receiving flowers/roses from a woman. Black Relationships 41
mistaliberator Black Poetry : PRETTY PEDALS OF ROSES Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
1poetsought Black Poetry : No Bed of Roses Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
A Black Poetry : Where Wild Roses Grow Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
$$RICH$$ Quiet Poetry Lounge : Ribbon locket & roses Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
J Black Poetry : ROSES FOR MOM Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
A Black Poetry : Raining Roses Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 17
A Black Poetry : Raining Roses Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
T Black Poetry : Red Roses for you.... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : There wasn't a card wit dem roses (Destee) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 13
Destee Black People : There Wasn't A Card With The Roses Black People Open Forum 10
1poetsought Black Poetry : Crown of Thorns Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
MzBlkAngel Black Poetry : A rose without thorns Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 16
D Black People : Is A Rose Meant to be Beautiful or Dangerous because of it's Thorns? Black People Open Forum 5
Destee Chat

Latest profile posts

Black and Latino custodial workers @ the Capitol Bldg said it was degrading to clean up the debris left by white supremacist who violently stormed the Capitol Bldg. They even had to clean up smeared feces. One staffer said they were used to cleaning up after white supremacist (referring to racist Congressional members). Those who were there that day feared for their life b/c they weren't given any protection.
Mother Jones posted a list of "law makers" nationwide who promoted/assisted in the insurrection on our government. ALL should be ousted, stripped of pensions, charged with sedition and felony murder.
If black folks are present at a crime, whether they participated or not, they're charged with as many violations as white folks can conjure up. Felony murder is top of their list. Why not for white domestic terrorist?
25,000 National Guardsmen are set up to protect for Biden/Harris inauguration! Authorities are AGAIN saying that white domestic terrorist are the largest threat in American and to the democratic process.
NOT Black Lives Matter protestors, NOT even foreign terrorist, but American grown white men who are angry about all the white privilege they have.
Twitter is now locking accounts for unusual activity when there is no unusual activity. Apparently if you post to much to soon, it triggers their spider hairs. Never mind that it's (or was) a platform to post information and opinions, now it's just a flat bed from the ghost-of-trump-past. Jack Dorsey/Twitter should be charged with giving trump the media to incite a resurrection against the United States government.