Black People : Why Couldn't Marissa Alexander Stand Her Ground in Florida?

Keita Kenyatta

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 7, 2004

What happened to Marissa Alexander sure sounds a lot like 'standing your ground': her abusive husband came after her, choked her, and when she finally broke free, she grabbed a gun fired a single warning shot into ceiling ... so why is she set to serve 20 years in jail?
RELATED: When 'Stand Your Ground' Laws Threaten Justice

Well, we imagine her prosecutor Angela Corey, who's also charging George Zimmerman, has the unfulfilling answers. The Florida Times Union's Charles Broward reported on April 21, "A judge denied [Alexander] immunity in a Stand Your Ground hearing. And after a jury found her guilty, she faces a mandatory term of 20 years in prison." Yes, there's the rage-inducing fact that Zimmerman who allegedly pursued and killed Trayvon Martin was allowed to walk free that night while Alexander is going to spend 20 years of her life in prison for a single warning shot. But it's also
http://news.yahoo.com/why-couldnt-marissa-alexander-stand-her-ground-florida-162546331.html

Corvo

navigator of live
May 9, 2003
LaLa land
Occupation
Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
It's more of the same we've been dealing with. The Man speaks from two sides of his mouth.

thePreacher

Banned
Dec 2, 2007
Dogville, USA
Occupation
Agent Of Change
She didn't break free, grab her gun, and then fire it. She broke free, left the house, went to the garage, got her gun, and then came back into the house where the perceived threat was before firing her gun. Worse, her stepsons testified that she pointed the gun at them before firing it. The Prosecutor did not grant her Stand Your Ground immunity because she could have left the house, walked away, and never fired her gun:

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...stand-your-ground-case-against-jacksonville-0

The injustice is not that she was denied Stand Your Ground protection but that Zimmerman was. Zimmerman also had the option to walk away, but, instead, went to where the perceived threat was before firing his gun.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Black Poetry : He was having fun in town saw a girl and spun around her skin black he couldn't begin a whack conve Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Mario William vitale Black Poetry : Couldn't Have Lived it Any Other Way Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Poetry : Baby birdie i i i couldn't save Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
W Black People : Marvin couldn't dance. Black People Open Forum 4
HODEE Black Poetry : I couldn't sleep Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
Destee Black People : Hillary Couldn't Manage Her Husband ... How She Gonna Manage The Country? Black People Open Forum 15
G Jails / Prisons : From prison, Dad couldn't save Desiray-other black fathers to learn from his mi Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Fish that couldn't save himself AACOOLDRE 0
queentswana Quiet Poetry Lounge : Couldn't lose, what I didn't have Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 23
B Black Poetry : They said I couldn't....now they want my baby!! Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
M Black Poetry : Even as a candidate couldn’t see straight and debate Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
S Black Poetry : couldn't find a title so this'll do(WASTE OF TIME) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 14
thatgirl74 Quiet Poetry Lounge : Untitled --- couldn't find a name for this one Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
watzinaname Black Poetry : I Couldn't Breathe Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 13
M Black Poetry : To My Sista's (for those who said, I couldn't and those who said I could) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 14
G Black Poetry : When You Couldn't Come Through...Love is all about being there. (please indulge me) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
DIIMOND Black Poetry : I couldn't sleep ( I need u...) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
D Black Poetry : The Fall of Our Summer (For Lovers Who Couldn't Get Past That 1st Step) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
T Black Poetry : when i couldn't scribe Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
blakverb Black Poetry : She said she couldn't be broken Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 18
T Black Poetry : that night i couldn't sleep* Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
N Black Poetry : I Couldn't Grow Today Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11
RAPTOR Black People : Black Preachers Say Marissa Alexander Should Cop a Plea Black People Open Forum 6
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : Marissa Alexander released from jail for Thanksgiving Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
legit-writer Black People : Update On Marissa Alexander Black People Open Forum 6
Alarm Clock Law Forum : Marissa Alexander Will Get A New Trial Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 5
Enki Jails / Prisons : Marissa Alexander, Florida Mom, Faces Mandatory 20 Years In Prison After Failed Stand-Your-Ground Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 33
Destee Black People : May December Souls by Marissa Monteilh Black People Open Forum 0
IFE Black Positive People : FIFTEEN-YEAR-OLD AMIYA ALEXANDER, BLACK ENTERPRISE TEENPRENEUR Black People Doing Positive Things 0
1poetsought Black Entertainment : Herbie Hancock protege, Joey Alexander Black Entertainment 1
Keita Kenyatta Jails / Prisons : Michelle Alexander: More Black Men Are In Prison Today Than Were Enslaved In 1850 Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
OldSoul OldSoul : Michelle Alexander, author of "The New Jim Crow" - 2013 George E. Kent Lecture OldSoul 0
S Black Men : "The Effects Of Fatherlessness On The African American Family", Lecture by Tim Alexander (2hrs) Black Men 20
cherryblossom Black Ancestors : Z. Alexander Looby Honoring Black Ancestors 3
S Black People : New Jim Crow - Michelle Alexander - Part 1 - Democracy Now! Black People Open Forum 19
RAPTOR Audio Video Web Conferencing : Alexander O'Neal - Fake Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Alexander O'Neal - "If You Were Here Tonight" Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Alexander O'neal - Sunshine Audio Video Web Conferencing 12
jamesfrmphilly Black People : michelle alexander dissects the "war on drugs" Black People Open Forum 4
cherryblossom Black Ancestors : Black Fashion Museum: Lois Alexander Honoring Black Ancestors 4