Black Short Stories : Where's the manual

Vincent Stacy Henry

Oct 30, 2012
I was a ghost! Three cheers for the afterlife! Woot! Woot! Woot! It was my time to travel the earth as a spirit, sometimes being benevolent but mostly I looked forward to being malevolent! I had a bunch of ex-girlfriends, ex-bosses, and just random a**holes that needed a to be taught a lesson or two!

Now what they don't tell you about the so called “after-life” is that there is no g**d*mn manual on what to expect and what to do next. So there I was floating above my lifeless body. It had taken me a minute or so to recognize this poor fool on the middle of Crenshaw and 54th. When the hell did I get so fat? That motherf**kah with half his brain leaking from a big crack in his cranium needed to lose a few pounds was me! It was sorta like that thing when you are in a store or mall and you see that weird looking not so attractive person from and distance and you are like “oh f**k” that's me when you realize it's you mirror! And there I was, sprawled out on the street with lifeless eyes, looking pretty dead and unfortunately pretty chubby and it dawned on me why I looked fatter than I really was. I was no longer holding my gut in!

I was pretty sure there was no coming back (not that I wanted to) when I noticed that none of the paramedics were urging me to “hang in there!”. It seemed more the case that I was already well beyond saving and that someone had already “called it in”. Such was life or non-life as it would be. Still, life as a ghost didn't appear to be that bad so far. I was floating 10 to 15 feet above everyone and I could hear and see things, which was odd because I didn't have eyes nor ears? Come to think of it, the old gray matter was down there about 10 feet below me growing colder by the second. Technically, I shouldn't be thinking...at least not in the traditional synapse to neuron configuration. Actually, I have no idea how the brain works but words like synapse and neuron seem to have to do with how the brain works so I thought I tossed them in because I'd heard them somewhere.

Now being able to hear, see, and even think was pretty **** cool in this ethereal form. However, floating above my lifeless corpse that had recently relieved itself (good thing my sense of smell wasn't part of my ghostly existence), I thought that I should probably be able to move or travel somehow but I had no idea how to do this (no **** manual). Being the slightly above average intelligence person I'd always fancied myself to be, I thought that maybe in order to travel, I had to “think” my way to a location. Man, that would be some bad a** sh*t. This way I could visit all the places I'd wanted to visit when I was alive. Unfortunately, this didn't make much sense even to my disembodied mind. Even if I could “think” myself to a new location, wouldn't it at least have to be somewhere I'd been before? I'd always wanted to visit Africa but Africa was a whole continent made up of many countries who's locations I had only seen on a map or on TV. “Thinking” myself to Nigeria or Cameroon or Timbuktu, no matter how much I wanted to go, wasn't gonna work.

How about I visit someplace I'd been? This made more sense. I'd simply think about where I wanted to go and I make sure it was a place I was already familiar with. So I thought about my childhood home. There was no place more familiar to me than that! So I tried and tried and tried and still I couldn't leave my current location of about 13 feet about my deceased body which was now covered with a stained white sheet and it looked like they were about to put him (me) on a gurney and shove him into the meat wagon for the long (or maybe short) ride wherever the street casualties usually go. Maybe this after-life thing wasn't going to be as good as I thought.

About an hour later, the street was cleared and people had gone on with there lives. Seems that a brothah getting hit by a bus on Crenshaw Blvd was only interesting for 45 minutes. However, much to my surprise, after they'd loaded my body into the ambulance and taken it to god knows where, I (spirit me) was still at this same spot 10 to 15 feet above the same spot where I had been kicked to the ultimate curb. I'd expected that my ghostly body would follow my earthly body wherever it went like an invisible tethered balloon. It didn't and I was glad. That body had only a couple stops to go (the morgue and the cemetery) and that would kinda suck if I had to spend eternity floating a few yards above the shell that had once been me.

It took a long while but I finally figured out what I needed to do about a week after dying and hanging out at 54th and Crenshaw blvd what I needed to do. (By the way, I gotta tell you that if you're people watcher like me, make sure you die and a public place because being able to observe people undetected is better than television! But that's another story.) Anyway, I was finally able to make it to the other side when I decided that I no longer existed! I know it sounds simple but once I determined that I wasn't suppose to be here, nor in Africa, nor my childhood home, nor the planet Neptune, that I just wasn't suppose to be here, I was able to go home. And man was it a better than any place I could've imagined! I'd finally gone home!

Consciousness Raising Online!

Destee Conference 1-866-4-DESTEE

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on candeesweet's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! :love: ... it's good to see you! I hope you and yours are all well and staying safe. I Love You! :kiss:
Nahshon wrote on Gracious's profile.
Gracious Queen I hope you do come back to destee...I see last time you were online here was 6 years ago on my birthday...I was probably probably taking a puff on that good 'ol stuff at the time...maybe sitting back sipping Coffee, Tea, or Wine...I just had to go back and read your previous posts.
Moved back to the Borough of my birth...Queens New York...Originally from SouthSide but now I live in Far Rockaway.
Clarity to pursue my mission in 2020
Destee wrote on Omowale Jabali's profile.
Hi Brother O! YAAAAAY! Good to see you! Hoping all is well with you and yours! Happy New Year! :heart: