Africa : What's The Difference Between This Forum & The PanAfrican Forum?

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Hello Family,

I'm just wondering ... what's the difference between this forum and the PanAfrican forum?

Is there a difference?

Are both needed?

Please share your thoughts on this.

Thanks a Bunch.

:heart:

Destee

toylin

May 17, 2004
Michigan
Occupation
Security Guard
I the purpose of this forum is to show us from whence we came, and help us figure out where we are going next. The Pan-African forum, in my opinion, shows us how we relate to other countries/cultures of darker-hued people.

JMO!

Toya

Isaiah

Jun 8, 2004
Sista Destee, this is a good question, and I will attempt to answer it without being too long winded... I think Sista Toylin gave a very good nutshell synopsis, and if might add to what she said, I would say that Culture is the all-encompassing essence of who a people are, why and how they do the things they do, what distinguishes us from one culture to the next....

For example, I presented an essay on the Talking Drum... To my knowledge, there is not another people on the planet who've evolved a musical instrument to such an extent... This should show us how important the drum is in our culture, yes, but it should also show us that it is not just a musical instrument in our culture... In the near future, I will be presenting some more information to that effect...

As I said, culture encompasses the gamut of activities which we engage in as a group, and as a society, so in the absence of a forum such as this, folk would naturally gravitate toward, for example, the Pan African Forum, or even the Sports and Entertainment forums, as those things are part of our culture, as well as, the general culture... What I want, personally, from the Culture forum is to show that it is, indeed, not stolen, but very much alive and disguised in many ways, because our ancestors had to think on their feet, in their efforts to keep those things African close to their busoms...

The other day, I was listening to the songs of the Cuban Santeria, and I realized something that I had not, heretofore, and that is from whence does the Call-and-Response come in African and African New World Culture??? It comes from participatory religious ceremony, where there is a lead caller, who leads the sacred chants, which are responded to, as if in conversation, by the audience of congregants. In essence, call-and-response in African song, or African conversation, is not some cute invention by African Americans, but is a common musical and oratorical trait of African people throughout the world... African people participate as a community in religious services, but also participate as a community at any event where we are gathered - including at the movie theatre(smile!)

Pan Africanism is much, much younger than African Culture(s), and is theoretically a movement designed to bring African peoples to a state of unity based on our commonalities. It does not encompass everything we DO, as does culture... It does not EXPLAIN what it is we do, or why it is we do it... It may point out that we do these things because we are African, but does not plumb the depths of whom we are, and why... One thing Pan Africanism does do, and I hope through an examination of culture we can give it some impetous and emphasis, is it seeks to bring us together as a global village, so to speak... I would hope that we can, through discussing the importance of our Culture, learn the importance of Pan Africanism...

Peace!
Isaiah

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
Pan Africanism is much, much younger than African Culture(s), and is theoretically a movement designed to bring African peoples to a state of unity based on our commonalities. It does not encompass everything we DO, as does culture... It does not EXPLAIN what it is we do, or why it is we do it... It may point out that we do these things because we are African, but does not plumb the depths of whom we are, and why... One thing Pan Africanism does do, and I hope through an examination of culture we can give it some impetous and emphasis, is it seeks to bring us together as a global village, so to speak... I would hope that we can, through discussing the importance of our Culture, learn the importance of Pan Africanism.

Good answer brother Isaiah! I specifically had questions about why these thread topics belonged under culture, and could not fit under the umbrella of PanAfricanism. However you gave an excellent case for why this doesn't have to be. :thanks:

Isaiah

Jun 8, 2004
Destee, What Do You Want From This Forum?

Thank you brother PanAfrica, I am pleased that you understand...

Now, Sista Destee... What I would like to know is what are your expectations for and from this forum? As culture is something we tend to do on a daily, and something which we do not often ask the "why?" about, it can seem unimportant... Asking oneself WHY African people talk the way we do, or why African males use elaborate handshakes, or why sistas crane their necks when they're making a particular point very plain, may not seem important at all, but understanding of oneself, I've learned, is integral to understanding others... Knowing our culture is important in demystifying it for others and for our children... Knowing our own culture also means others cannot distort and defame it in the way some of our own folks have done - as in purporting that the N word is Our culture... Garbage! From my vantage point, I want the young peops to read, and absorb, and feel comfortable within the context of their real selves, so I will presenting evidence of their Real Selves...

So many of our daily activities fall under the umbrella of culture...
Education/Music/Relgion/Song/Dance/Cuisine/Speech & Communications... Culture determines how Walter Moseley, Toni Morrison, August Wilson, and Spike Lee will write their books, plays, and films, and whom they'll seek as an audience for their art... Culuture has determined why each and every last one of us who are of African Descent, and have made a decision to post to this discussion board, as opposed to one which does not feature the things common to discourse in the African community...

Oh, yeah, peops, my grandmother made some blankets for the grandchildren in the 1950's, using African quilting patterns... My sister told me recently that those blankets are worth in the thousands of dollars... Why??? Because it is a dying art... The old folks tried to teach the young folks, but Macy's and Sach's 5th Avenue came a calling... No more blankets with the African patterns... That is how culture is lost, because folk don't think it is important enough to preserve... Hopefully this studying of our culture will render it greater in importance to us, and maybe we can get about the business of preserving it when we understand its importance... You see, Destee, you aint gonna find pieces on African Quilting and Cuisine on no Pan African Forum(smile!)

Peace!
Isaiah

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Joy Reid nails the difference between white and Black people after Capitol riots Black People Politics 4
Destee Black People Politics : What's the difference between the opiod epidemic and the crack epidemic? Black People Politics 2
Liberty Black Jokes Humor : The Difference Between Bougie, Boujee, and Bourgie/Bourgeois, Explained Black Jokes Humor 0
Lrae Black Sports : SNL explains the difference between black and white quarterbacks Black Sports 6
jamesfrmphilly Black People : kareem-abdul-jabbar-this-is-the-difference-between-donald-trump-and-bernie-sanders Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black People : Is there a Difference between either statement? Black People Open Forum 1
chuck Black People Politics : There Is A Difference: Between Conscious Raising--Education--And Indocrination! Black People Politics 0
Destee Black Education / Schools : What's the difference between a college and a university? Black Education / Schools 6
RAPTOR Black People : What's the Difference Between Teach For America and a Scab Temp Agency? Black People Open Forum 2
KaHotep Black Poetry : Difference between Music and Religion Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
MsInterpret Black People : Is there a difference between Afro-Centric and Conscious? Black People Open Forum 10
chuck Black People : Is There A Difference Between Race And Racism? Black People Open Forum 2
Keita Kenyatta Black People : What is the difference between field corn and maize? Black People Open Forum 0
chuck Black People : Do Your Know The Difference Between Accountability And Freedom? Black People Open Forum 33
river Black People : Difference Between Democracy and Freedom Black People Open Forum 21
legit-writer Black People : difference between woman looking sexy and looking trashy Black People Open Forum 3
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : There Is Not A Penny Worth Of Difference Between The Preacher, Professionals, And Bla Chief Elder Osiris 0
0 Black Spirituality Religion : what is the difference between religion and spirituality Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 20
cherryblossom Black Men : What's the Difference Between a "BOY" and a "Man?" Black Men 27
Ankhur Black People : What is the difference between a Leader and a Teacher? Black People Open Forum 7
Ankhur No difference? between Masculine and Feminine? Why post that here??? Black Men 5
Ankhur Black People : The Difference Between Federal Reserve Notes and Real Money Black People Open Forum 0
A Black People : What is the difference between pan-Africanism and Black nationalism? Black People Open Forum 4
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : There Is Not A Penny Worth Of Difference Between The Two!!! Chief Elder Osiris 0
S Black Spirituality Religion : Difference between Religion & Spirituality Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 14
Keita Kenyatta Black People : DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BLACK /WHITE PEOPLE Black People Open Forum 5
Destee Law Forum : Difference Between Civil & Criminal Law Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 5
Onyemobi Black Spirituality Religion : Whats the difference between the Orishas, Loa, Alusi, Neteru, etc Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 16
tyab14 Black Spirituality Religion : Difference between the Spirit and the Soul Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 54
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : THE FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE BELIEVER ANF THE Sivine THINKER. Chief Elder Osiris 0
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RELIGIOUS SPIRITUALITY AND DIVINE SPIRITUALITY. Chief Elder Osiris 1
B Black Poetry : Is there a difference between love and obsession? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : Difference between God & God’s power (the process of generation of world from God is Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Q Black People : What is the difference between Love and "IN" Love? Black People Open Forum 7
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : The Difference Between Menthology And Religion Chief Elder Osiris 0
PoeticManifesta Black Relationships : I asked some brothas, whats the difference between thick and fat..Response: Black Relationships 9
E Black Spirituality Religion : What is The Definitive difference between the MIND and the SPIRIT??? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 17
T Black Relationships : Is there a big difference between dating Latin VS. Black Men Or Woman Black Relationships 84
A Black Spirituality Religion : The difference Between Spirituality ,Religion,and Gods Plan... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 14
N Black Entertainment : Difference between Poetry and Spoken Word Black Entertainment 3
Poeticsoulsista Black Poetry : What's The Difference Between a Black Man and a White Man Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
I Black Spirituality Religion : What Is The Difference Between Egiptian Staues And Christian Statues ? Christianity Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
A Black Spirituality Religion : The Difference Between the Religion of Islam and the Nation of Islam Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 150
C Black People : There Is A Difference In Black Afrikan American And Black Afrikans In America Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : TThere Is A Fundamental Difference In Being A Civil Rights Advocate Than Being A Revolutionary Freedom Fighter Black People Open Forum 0
Kemetstry Black Relationships : WHY THE DIFFERENCE IS SO BIG Black Relationships 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Neandertal DNA Affects Modern Ethnic Difference in Immune Response Science and Technology 3
Al D Black People : What Can African/Black Folks Do To Make A Difference Black People Open Forum 63
Liberty Black People : The Difference That You Made Black People Open Forum 0
Liberty Health and Wellness : Medical Marijuana vs Recreational:What's The Difference? Black Health and Wellness 8