Black Spirituality Religion : Whats the difference between the Orishas, Loa, Alusi, Neteru, etc

Onyemobi

Jun 19, 2007
Washington DC MetropolitanArea
Occupation
Artist
In my studies, I have come across many traditions, and many different deities in each that not only share similar attributes, but also similar colors, whether its Heru of the Neteru, Shango of the Orishas and Amadioha of the Alusi, or Erzulie Dantor of the Loa, Het-Heru of the Neteru, and Osun of the Orishas. But over and over again, priests will say that the Orishas and the Neteru or Loa or whatever tradition are similar but NOT interchangable, which confuses me. If each of them is controls a certain aspect of our world, how can they all be different? What is the difference between the Neteru, Orishas, Loa, Alusi, etc?

Onyemobi

Jun 19, 2007
Washington DC MetropolitanArea
Occupation
Artist
A few examples:

obatala2.jpg

Obatala of the Orishas

Osiris3big.jpg

Ausar of the Neteru

SieteRayos1.jpg

Siete Rayos of the Nkisis

chango.jpg

Shango of the Orishas

horus.jpg.rZd.135642.jpg

Heru of the Neteru

oshun.jpg

Oshun of the Orishas

het_heru_2_2_-117x223.png

Het-Heru of the Neteru

100_0034.JPG

Ezili Dantor of the Loa

Blackbird

Jan 31, 2004
Da Desert, literally
Occupation
Professional Hitman
Freda always chastises me when she comes down. My daughter has a strong Freda around her - she cries for everything, is prissy as can be, I call her my lil fashionista, loves pink, green and blue and has a sarcastic wit about her. I believe Freda "cursed" me with her to torment me. LOL...

Blackbird

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PoeticManifesta Black Relationships : I asked some brothas, whats the difference between thick and fat..Response: Black Relationships 9
K Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III : Possession and Trance: Whats the Difference? Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III Study Group 13
Ndugu Black People : Whats the dif between NGA and AFRICOM, if they both take advantage of our lack of unity?? Black People Open Forum 12
AACOOLDRE Black Poetry : Whats happening Now ??????????? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
SouthsideIrish Food Discussion : Whats your favorite barbeque sauce Food Discussion and Recipes 2
Kemetstry Black Spirituality Religion : THE POPE ABDICATES, WHATS NEXT? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 60
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : SNOOP DOGG - WHO AM I (WHATS MY NAME) HD Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Keino Science and Technology : Whats going on with our sun? Science and Technology 23
Ankhur Black People : Dictatorship or Democracy/ whats best for the Black World? Black People Open Forum 6
Ankhur Black People : Standardized Tests or real Education? whats the Emphasis? Black People Open Forum 0
jamesfrmphilly Black Sports : whats haynesworths beef? Black Sports 1
tyab14 Black Spirituality Religion : No More Sunspots, Whats Going on in the Cosmos? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 14
tyab14 Black People : Whats the Deal with the Sun Black People Open Forum 26
D Quiet Poetry Lounge : whats your definition of love Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
A Black Relationships : whats up with young black men these days? Black Relationships 0
A Black People : Its whats needed . Black People Open Forum 1
T Black People : Whats Your Favorite Drink?? Black People Open Forum 39
T Black Relationships : Whats Sexier?? Natural Or Made Up Black Relationships 52
I Black Poetry : Whats happening? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
M Black Children : Whats up with the guys? Black Children 2
B Black People : just letting black people know whats out there !!! Black People Open Forum 1
C whats up Black Children 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : When it comes to welfare whats in a name? AACOOLDRE 0
F Black Short Stories : thats whats up: part one Short Stories - Authors - Writing 2
E Black Spirituality Religion : Whats the funniest thing you experienced in church Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 27
PoeticManifesta Black Relationships : Do you think you are sexy? Whats sexy to you? Black Relationships 218
U Black Relationships : Whats most important ? Black Relationships 9
Therious Black People : arafat whats up with that? Black People Open Forum 4
T Black Parenting : whats up Black Parenting 29
A Whats Rep Power? Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 2
Therious Black Entertainment : whats ur best screenplay idea? Black Entertainment 8
T Black Poetry : whats your song?? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
H Black People : Whats in a name? Black People Open Forum 17
B Black Poetry : Whats in a name? from Nimrod Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Whats the Word AACOOLDRE 0
N Black Poetry : Whats done can't be undone Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Joy Reid nails the difference between white and Black people after Capitol riots Black People Politics 4
C Black People : There Is A Difference In Black Afrikan American And Black Afrikans In America Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : TThere Is A Fundamental Difference In Being A Civil Rights Advocate Than Being A Revolutionary Freedom Fighter Black People Open Forum 0
Kemetstry Black Relationships : WHY THE DIFFERENCE IS SO BIG Black Relationships 2
Destee Black People Politics : What's the difference between the opiod epidemic and the crack epidemic? Black People Politics 2
Liberty Black Jokes Humor : The Difference Between Bougie, Boujee, and Bourgie/Bourgeois, Explained Black Jokes Humor 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Neandertal DNA Affects Modern Ethnic Difference in Immune Response Science and Technology 3
Al D Black People : What Can African/Black Folks Do To Make A Difference Black People Open Forum 63
Liberty Black People : The Difference That You Made Black People Open Forum 0
Lrae Black Sports : SNL explains the difference between black and white quarterbacks Black Sports 6
Liberty Health and Wellness : Medical Marijuana vs Recreational:What's The Difference? Black Health and Wellness 8
chuck Black People Politics : What Does It Take To Make A Difference In Your Community? Black People Politics 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People : kareem-abdul-jabbar-this-is-the-difference-between-donald-trump-and-bernie-sanders Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black People : Is there a Difference between either statement? Black People Open Forum 1