Black Parenting : What role do we play in helping our kids understand recent police killings and curbing their fears?

Cb_parent

Jan 4, 2015
Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about and trying to get feedback on how black parents are discussing/explaining Michael Brown, Brandon Tate, John Crawford, Antonio Martin, and the list goes on of the recent slew of police killings in America of black youth. I'm concerned about the effect that this has on their self-image, sense of security, and motivation to pursue their dreams with no reservations. I'm also concerned at the number of black parents that I talk to that barely keep up with the story so I know they are making a point to talk to their kids about it, unfortunately. How have you explained to your children and teens the "reason" that these young men were killed? How have these events flexed your parenting muscle?

Enki

The Evolved Amphibian
STAFF
Aug 27, 2010
The Third Plane of Existence
Occupation
Civil Eng.
Here something to help you also.

What Black Parents Tell Their Sons About the Police
A Tumblr quote floated over to me about around the time of Trayvon Martin's murder, from a Jonathan Lethem book that I've never read(The Fortress of Solitude). At this point, I don't really need to read it, because it's already asked me the most important question I've heard in a long time: "At what age is a black boy when he learns he's scary?"
http://gawker.com/what-black-parents-tell-their-sons-about-the-police-1624412625
Peace!

$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
STAFF
Mar 21, 2001
Da~WINDY*CITY //CHICAGO
Occupation
BUSINESS owner
While this a major concern to every community and the safety of teens , young men , blacks
I too been rivering the notion to what Black mind think of this and what can be done as well
how to teach the children the truth of corruption and law enforcement , I do talk to every
young man I see about how to not fear the badge but the one behind it which is often the person
of hate , jealousy and envy while I haven't really express why those young men was killed but
express how to stay alive out here in the street of corruption and greed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
blazejay Black Spirituality Religion : What role does religion play in society today? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 5
C Black Entertainment : Does Beyonce have to play EVERY black female biographical role? Black Entertainment 1
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : What Role Did African Play In The Slave Trade ? Chief Elder Osiris 3
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : What Role Did Africans Play In Chattel Slavery Chief Elder Osiris 0
M Black Poetry : ROLE PLAY Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
M Quiet Poetry Lounge : ROLE PLAY Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
ASHANTA Black Poetry : Who Is The Blackman An What Role Do He Play Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
D Black Poetry : Role Play - On Consignment Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 17
C Black People : Black Afrikans Professional Are No Role Model For Freedom, Justice, And Independence For Black Afrikans In America Not By Choice!!! Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : Why seeing a role model who looks like you is so powerful Black People Open Forum 0
Perfection Mali : In Context Series: The Recurrent Security Crisis in Mali and the Role of the African Union Mali 0
Perfection Black People Politics : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ The Role of the Queen Mother in Israelite Society Black People Politics 0
anAfrican Black Positive People : ‘They’ve been invisible’: Seattle professor studies role of black grandmothers in society Black People Doing Positive Things 1
tantric African Traditional Religion : Bantu TR for a role-playing game African Traditional Religion Study Group 8
Destee Black People Politics : Great Hillary Clinton Commercial - Role Models Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Race and its role in New Orleans' recovery 10 years later Black People Politics 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Role of basilides in the events of 69AD AACOOLDRE 0
$$RICH$$ Black Positive People : Going Strong at 77 and role model Black People Doing Positive Things 0
OldSoul OldSoul : Youth and teachers played a significant role in the Selma Movement OldSoul 0
S Black People : yeah.. all role models ain't modeling right roles.. #justsaying Black People Open Forum 0
RAPTOR Black People : Sy Hersh Reveals Potential Turkish Role in Syria Chemical Strike That Almost Sparked U.S. Bombing Black People Open Forum 0
RAPTOR Black People : Sy Hersh Reveals Potential Turkish Role in Syria Chemical Strike That Almost Sparked U.S. Bombing Black People Open Forum 0
RAPTOR Black People : Mandela: NSA, FBI, DIA Sued over Refusal to Disclose U.S. Role in Imprisonment of Mandela Black People Open Forum 1
Blackbird Black Spirituality Religion : Ori and its role in Black Self-Sufficiency Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 9
E Black People : If White people rule this world, what is their role in the evil of this world? Black People Open Forum 10
G Black People : Jill Scott Says Boys Don't Need Male Role Models Black People Open Forum 6
Frenemy Writing Discussion : Role Playing at Destee? Short Stories - Authors - Writing 224
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Will Smith Rejected 'Django Unchained' Because Role Wasn't Big Enough Black Entertainment 8
S Black People : American Soldier on the role of Racist ideology in warfare. Black People Open Forum 1
RAPTOR Black People Politics : As Obama Picks Up Union Endorsements, A Debate on Labor's Role in 2012 Campaign Black People Politics 0
C Black Spirituality Religion : The Role Of The Egbe Priest in Ifa Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
RAPTOR Black Entertainment : Protest/Petition against thandie newton playing the role of an igbo from a novel Black Entertainment 2
RAPTOR Black People : NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly Urged to Resign After Police Conceal Role in Anti-Muslim Documentary Black People Open Forum 1
S Egypt : Ancient Egypt's Role in European History By Dr Kwame Nantambu Egypt 48
W Black People : Study: Race plays a role in the pace of some romances Black People Open Forum 14
baller Quiet Poetry Lounge : i'm not a role model Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
S Black People : American Banks role in the drug trade.. Black People Open Forum 16
T Black People : The Shocking Jewish Role in Black Slavery Part I: What Jewish Historians Say Black People Open Forum 6
Istari Black People : What is the role and duties of an Elder Black People Open Forum 5
Amnat77 Uganda : RIck Warren exposed, his role in Uganda's death penalty for gays bill Uganda 126
MsInterpret Black Relationships : What is a wife's role? What is a Husband's role? Black Relationships 35
9 Black Spirituality Religion : The Role of Women in African Traditional Religion Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
abdurratln Black Spirituality Religion : The Role and Condition of Women in Islam Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 29
Amnat77 Benin : Benin women explain their kingdoms role in the slave trade Benin 9
Amnat77 Black Entertainment : Idris Elba defends Thor film role Black Entertainment 0
cherryblossom Black Children : Can A Pregnant Teen Be A Role Model? Black Children 19
L Black People Politics : Pres Carter: Race Plays Role In Obama Dislike Black People Politics 10
I Black Spirituality Religion : Beyond Ritual: Rethinking the Role of Patriarchy in African Traditional Religions Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 3
S African American History Culture : Role of Afrikan Languages in Afrikan Liberation African American History Culture 2
S Black Spirituality Religion : FREE LECTURE-The Role of Afrikan Spirituality Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 17