Black Men : What happened to passing down/sharing knowledge for living?

NyneElementz

Apr 6, 2006
Myrtle Beach, SC
Before you read this, I want everyone to know that I don't expect that everyone sees things as I do. This is actually about sharing general knowledge between generations of men, such as saving, deciding to buy a house or rent an apartment, ficing minor car problems, choosing a mechanic, you know, things that help us plan our lives out.

I ask this because it seems a lot of brothers younger than I am are hungry for this knowledge and often remarks that noone tells them about things like that. I personally was happy whenever I could sit at an elder's feet and learn some things. But lately, I've seen more judgment and platitudes-preaching than willingness to teach, and I'm wondering why this is.

Brothers? Care to discuss this?

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
Before you read this, I want everyone to know that I don't expect that everyone sees things as I do. This is actually about sharing general knowledge between generations of men, such as saving, deciding to buy a house or rent an apartment, ficing minor car problems, choosing a mechanic, you know, things that help us plan our lives out.

I ask this because it seems a lot of brothers younger than I am are hungry for this knowledge and often remarks that noone tells them about things like that. I personally was happy whenever I could sit at an elder's feet and learn some things. But lately, I've seen more judgment and platitudes-preaching than willingness to teach, and I'm wondering why this is.

Back in the day young Brothers learned some things you mentioned from their Fathers, Uncles and church or community Elders, as well as taking shop classes in school. We worked as apprentices to these Elders in various trades.

This is no longer our reality. Too many of our youth are raised by single moms and we know the rest.

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
Back in the day young Brothers learned some things you mentioned from their Fathers, Yncles and church or community Elders, as well as taking shop classes in school. We worked as apprentices to these Elders in various trades.

This is no longer our reality. Too many of our youth are raised by single moms and we know the rest.

By the way, as you may know, I am an educator, and as such, I often interact with my students on an intimate level discussing things with them that most of their teachers don't, because I am not in a public school setting. I share as much as I can while at the same time being careful not to overstep boundaries.

Asomfwaa

Nov 16, 2011

I think the knowledge is over abundant out there in books. Yet Black bookstores are so out of vogue that even though they are overstocked with this knowledge, that there's no longer a culture of visiting our bookstores, these bookstores go out of fashion before they come into it.

Case and point, you'd more likely see a class go to a European Library than an African Bookstore. But even the former is rare.

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
"This is actually about sharing general knowledge between generations of men"

Between generations of MEN.

This is KNOWLEDGE that can not be found in books because it is the knowledge of "GENERATIONS of MEN" it is generally passed through Oral History (storytelling), a set of written 'Instructions' and apprenticeship. I learned from all three methods and often my disconnect with other Black MEN has to do with experiences that are different. I was taught by Generations of Black Men , as well as Black women, but was fortunate because my Father was a Black Genius- a craftsman, master builder and engineer- by profession. My Dad was a 'true' Illuminator- not that Masonic ritual craft- He was a senior and master Lighting Engineer. He constructed African themed lighting fixtures, hand made Ashanti Chieftan stools, made clay and wood replicas of Ife, Benin and Nok artifacts. He also taught me painting, brick laying, housing constructing, drafting and architectural design, and I am talking about before the age of 14.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
OldSoul Black People : What Ever Happened to Hazel Scott? One of the most Brilliant Beautiful Black Women Ever! Black People Open Forum 1
R Black People : What Happened to all the Alcohol? Black People Open Forum 3
C Black People : What Has Happened To The Black Nationalist Pan Afrikans? Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Dark chocolate is now a health food. Here’s how that happened Black Health and Wellness 0
OldSoul Kenya : Mau Mau - What really happened in Kenya Kenya 0
Perfection Madagascar : In Context Series: Madagascar: A History of Arrivals, What Happened, and Will Happen Next Madagascar 0
R Black Poetry : WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS SITE ALL THE POSTS ARE MISSING Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Lunar Cycle Black People Politics : It's Almost As If This Never Happened Black People Politics 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : DID ST.PAUL GO ON A FAMINE RELIEF MISSION?: Did James, Jude & Revelations really know what happened? AACOOLDRE 1
Liberty Black People Politics : Whatever Happened to Black Lives Matter? Black People Politics 11
J Black People : What ever happened to Tom Pope of the Tom Pope radio show? Black People Open Forum 17
Liberty Black Short Stories : Here’s What Happened When Yahoo! Finance Tweeted, ‘Trump Wants a Much N–ger Navy’ Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
Liberty Black People : What happened to the Black Conscious Community and our Movement? Black People Open Forum 83
Chevron Dove Black Christians : WHAT HAPPENED BEFORE ADAM & EVE? Christian Study Group 11
nilevalley African American History Culture : Slavery officially ended in Washington, D.C. - It happened this day April 16th in Black History African American History Culture 0
Chaya Chaim Black Poetry : "Never happened to me" Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
Liberty The Police : So This Happened: Delaware Cops Beat Disabled Man After His Quadriplegic Wife Fails To Stand Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Liberty Black Entertainment : What in the world happened to the artist formerly known as Mos Def? Black Entertainment 24
Liberty Black Relationships : Whatever Happened To Courtship? Black Relationships 71
Liberty Black People Politics : What happened to the ‘hero mom’ of Baltimore’s riots? Black People Politics 0
Destee Support : What Happened to Our Shout Box?! :( Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 8
chuck Black People : Whatever Happened To Our Sensahumor Too?!? Black People Open Forum 0
MsInterpret Black Entertainment : What Ever Happened to Hip-Hop? Black Entertainment 186
AuthorLady Black People : What Happened to "Real Talent?" Black People Open Forum 55
S Black People : Ever wonder what happened to the dude that sang like Stevie Wonder in "School Daze"? Black People Open Forum 6
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : What Happened to Africa? - OldSoul Podcast Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
S Black People Politics : What Ever Happened To Sherry Peel Jackson Black People Politics 5
N Support : What Happened to twitter.. and the games.. and the private chat? Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 2
Chevron Dove Black Christians : What Happened to Nefertiti? ... Child Sacrifice in the 18th Dynasty Christian Study Group 3
E Black People : What Really Happened to Ron Brown And Many Others? Black People Open Forum 4
Ankhur Black People : What Ever Happened to the Black Agenda? Black People Open Forum 25
Luv_Doctor The Front Porch : WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!! The Front Porch 3
Ankhur Black People : What Has Happened to the Detroit Public School System? Black People Open Forum 5
Chevron Dove Science and Technology : NEWS REPORT~ Mysterious Earthquakes Rock Arkansas, But What Happened... Science and Technology 6
B Black People : What happened to bnvillage.co.uk? Black People Open Forum 1
N Black Entertainment : WHAT HAPPENED IN VEGAS Black Entertainment 3
Enki Black People : Scott Sisters Update..Why this happened. Black People Open Forum 9
Ankhur Black People : What ever Happened to Black Solidarity Day? Black People Open Forum 3
Ankhur Black People : What ever Happened to Dr Neely Fuller and his Legacy? Black People Open Forum 2
river Black People : It Finally Happened Black People Open Forum 0
R Black Poetry : Some Stuff That Happened on Valentine Day Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
1poetsought Black Poetry : WHATEVER Happened To Square Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
Ankhur Black Spirituality Religion : Whatever Happened to MAAT? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Ankhur Black People : Whatever happened to the RGB? Black People Open Forum 9
B Black People : DID MLK & MALCOLM X, DIE FOR NOTHING AND WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MESSAGE ?? Black People Open Forum 154
R Black Poetry : JUNK THAT HAPPENED Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
M Black People : What Happened? Black People Open Forum 1
P Black People : What ever happened to Progressive Democrats?? Black People Open Forum 0
P Black People : Some on Line Resources regarding what realy happened on 9/11 Black People Open Forum 0
P Black People : Swine Flu? Oh yeah, I heard about that back in 1976, what happened?? Black People Open Forum 3