Black People : What Experts Know About Men Who Rape

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
C2C4BEE5-E564-4BC5-8FA5-C72BF5B155BA.jpeg

He sat by his phone, skeptical that it would ring. “I didn’t think that anyone would want to respond,” said Samuel D. Smithyman, now 72 and a clinical psychologist in South Carolina.

But the phone did ring. Nearly 200 times.

At the other end of the line were a computer programmer who had raped his “sort of girlfriend,” a painter who had raped his acquaintance’s wife, and a school custodian who described 10 to 15 rapes as a means of getting even with “rich bastards” in Beverly Hills.

What Experts Know About Men Who Rape - The New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/30/health/men-rape-sexual-assault.html - - Cached - Similar pages

Oct 30, 2017 ... Scientists once thought men who commit rape and sexual assault were so diverse that common factors could not be found. ... What Experts Know About Men Who Rape ... The author suggested that they contribute to miscnceptions about rapists, most of whom do not appear in news stories or in court.

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
Men and Women View Sexual Assault Differently

It gets weird when we talk about sexual harassment—not because men and women define it differently (we don’t), but because women say they witness and experience it all the time and men tend to say they only hear about it. It gets weird when we bring up sexual violence—not because we can’t agree on what it means (we can), but because women think it’s happening far more frequently than men do.”

I’ll admit, I’ve been one of those men. And I struggle with the 1 in 4 women have been raped statistic, for two reasons:

• 1) Because it doesn’t square with what I have seen or experienced. I don’t expect all my female friends and relatives to tell me they’ve been assaulted, nor all of my male friends to admit if they’ve assaulted anyone. Still, it seems hard to process this figure when I can count on one hand the number of women I know about. Again, this doesn’t mean the statistic is wrong; it means that I have a different life experience.

• 2) Because even the limited study from which that statistic was drawn admits that the numbers aren’t accurate.
Now to be clear, ONE rape is one too many.

1. Men and Women View Sexual Assault Differently - Evan Marc Katz
    http://www.evanmarckatz.com/blog/sex/men-and-women-view-sexual-assault-differently/ - 437k - Cached - Similar pages
    In fact, men and women (mostly) agree on things…except for two areas fraught with a lot of emotion. Says the Esquire piece: “It gets weird when we talk about sexual harassment—not because men and women define it differently (we don't), but because women say they witness and experience it all the time and men tend to ...

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
Men and Women View Sexual Assault Differently

It gets weird when we talk about sexual harassment—not because men and women define it differently (we don’t), but because women say they witness and experience it all the time and men tend to say they only hear about it. It gets weird when we bring up sexual violence—not because we can’t agree on what it means (we can), but because women think it’s happening far more frequently than men do.”

I’ll admit, I’ve been one of those men. And I struggle with the 1 in 4 women have been raped statistic, for two reasons:

• 1) Because it doesn’t square with what I have seen or experienced. I don’t expect all my female friends and relatives to tell me they’ve been assaulted, nor all of my male friends to admit if they’ve assaulted anyone. Still, it seems hard to process this figure when I can count on one hand the number of women I know about. Again, this doesn’t mean the statistic is wrong; it means that I have a different life experience.

• 2) Because even the limited study from which that statistic was drawn admits that the numbers aren’t accurate.
Now to be clear, ONE rape is one too many.

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
Why men rape

It’s not a profound mystery, or explained by deep psychosocial complexity. For rapists, rape is easy. And that must stop

There is a simple and surprisingly durable myth about what causes men to rape women. It goes like this: if a man is too horny, from sexual deprivation or from being constitutionally oversexed, he will lose control in the presence of an unguarded woman. Through the early days of psychology as a science, this basic assumption remained the same. When Richard von Krafft-Ebing wrote Psychopathia Sexualis (1886), he assumed that rapists suffered from either ‘priapism and conditions approaching satyriasis’ or a ‘mental weakness’ that allowed lustful urges to escape their control. It was a simple matter of hydraulics. If the pressure was too great, or the vessel too weak, a horrifying crime would burst forth.

Until we treat rapists as ordinary criminals we won't stop them | Aeon ...
https://aeon.co/essays/until-we-treat-rapists-as-ordinary-criminals-we-wont-stop-them - 126k - Cached - Similar pages

Mar 30, 2017 ... These men were much less likely to have used violence or even physical force. Instead, the majority had assaulted women who were incapacitated by alcohol. When they did use force, it was almost always after an attempt at consensual sex had failed, the so-called 'date rape'. It seemed unquestionable ...

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
WHY MEN RAPE

A friend of ours once told us about her rape. The details hardly matter, but in outline her story is numbingly familiar. After a movie she returned with her date to his car, which had been left in an isolated parking lot. She was expecting him to drive her home. Instead, the man locked the car doors and physically forced her to have sex with him.

Why Men Rape
http://iranscope.ghandchi.com/Anthology/Women/rape.htm - 40k - Cached - Similar pages
A friend of ours once told us about her rape. The details hardly matter, but in outline her story is numbingly familiar. After a movie she returned with her date to his car, which had been left in an isolated parking lot. She was expecting him to drive her home. Instead, the man locked the car doors and physically forced her to ...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : 'Gross misjudgment': Experts say Trump's decision to disband pandemic team hindered coronavirus response Black People Politics 170
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Toxic waste from U.S. pot farms alarms experts Black People Open Forum 2
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : computer-science-experts-recommend-hillary-clinton-challenge-election-results Black People Politics 3
Liberty Black People Politics : 50 GOP national security experts oppose Trump Black People Politics 14
shaka64 Black People : to all you NBA experts Who you got? Black People Open Forum 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : U.N. experts grill U.S. on racial discrimination Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Experts: Cut trees to rescue Nero's fabled palace African American History Culture 17
KingSango Black People : @Self Proclaimed Black Experts. Black People Open Forum 0
Alarm Clock Black People : UN experts: U.S. needs to wrap up review of Trayvon Martin case and examine laws Black People Open Forum 2
Ankhur Support : Tech experts Should Volunteer their Security Knowledge for the Benenfit of this Site Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 4
S Haiti : Haiti: Experts say the disease was likely imported Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 20
Zulile Pan Africanism : Ending Famine, Simply by Ignoring the Experts African American History Culture 0
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Black People Have Become Experts In Defending Other People Religion Chief Elder Osiris 11
D More blacks going for gastric surgery, experts say Black Health and Wellness 0
T African American History Culture : Experts computer generated picture of what king tut looked like... African American History Culture 0
P Experts make flatulence-free bean Black Health and Wellness 3
K Black People : question for the experts (somali roots) Black People Open Forum 11
E Destee Network : Experts, consultants, advisers invited, immediate payment. Destee Network : 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Cardi B slams Candace Owens: ‘I’m not getting pimped out by White men’ Black Entertainment 0
S Black Men : FROM GROWN MEN TO GROWN BOYS!!! How did we get here? Black Men 0
G Black Men : Black men whatsapp group Black Men 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Ethiopia : 124 years ago, Ethiopian men and women defeated the Italian army in the Battle of Adwa Ethiopia 0
SwagII Black Relationships : Are Men & Women Sexually Greedy by Nature, Or What? Black Relationships 10
SwagII Black Relationships : Black Women Speak To Your Black Men! Black Relationships 0
Kemetstry Black Relationships : 10 REASONS TO DATE OLDER MEN Black Relationships 1
1 Health and Wellness : Sexual health academic survey (men who have sex with men (18+) Black Health and Wellness 1
Chyko Black Relationships : Black Women Should Allow Black Men To Have Side Chicks – Mo’Nique Black Relationships 4
OldSoul Black People : 1000 Black Men March in Chicago Black People Open Forum 6
F Black People : Is real empowerment truly possible if Black men and Black women are disconnected from each other? Black People Open Forum 6
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀White Women & Black Men: Different Responses in Reading Black Women's Texts Black Women 0
OldSoul Black People : Subliminal murder of Black men Black People Open Forum 7
Perfection Black Men : In Context Series: The Health of African American Men Black Men 0
A Black Spirituality Religion : What scriptures in the Old Testament support the belief that women are more emotional than men and m Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Black men arrested at Starbucks settle for $1 each and $200K for a nonprofit student program Black People Doing Positive Things 0
IFE Black People : Black Men Going Their Own Way (MGTOW) Black People Open Forum 30
Al D Black People : Black Men on Santa's Knee Black People Open Forum 1
IFE Black Men : Men who were sexually assaulted by women share their stories - and how their friends reacted Black Men 31
S Black People : White Women Are Dying Faster All Over America - As Are White Men Black People Open Forum 3
Destee Black People Politics : Give a black man a job (@BarackObama this time) and white men will get mad Black People Politics 1
HODEE Black Relationships : Men and Women Can't Be "Just Friends" Black Relationships 12
S Steals and Deals : Discover the world of Men's Sportswear Shopping - Steals and Deals! 0
Angela22 Black People : Men of Color and Attraction Black People Open Forum 61
Kemetstry Health and Wellness : MEN MUST EJACULATE 21 TIMES A MONTH TO PREVENT CANCER Black Health and Wellness 4
Liberty Law Forum : Texas bill would fine men $100 each time they masturbate Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 3
Destee Kenya : Rebecca Lolosoli founded Umoja Village - The Land of No Men : Inside Kenya's Women-Only Village Kenya 0
Queenie Law Forum : Heartbreaker--Black men in prison Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 4
Liberty Black People Politics : Donald Trump’s newest White House adviser accused of hiring white men to attack African-Americans in Black People Politics 0
C Black People Politics : Why did 13% of black men vote for Trump? Black People Politics 2
Djedefre Black People : Question to white feminist. If black men are so sexist why... Black People Open Forum 5
1 Steals and Deals : Fashion Magazine For Men Shopping - Steals and Deals! 1