Black Sports : What Do You Think Of Larry Bird's Comments?

Joyce

May 23, 2001
Florida
Occupation
people
I am not surprised that he think that, but I was surprised that he let it come out of his mouth. Whites are usually good about keeping this type of discussion "among themselves", rather than out in the open. Quite frankly, I'm glad he let it out for I belief it is a reflection how many whites feel. It a combination of envy and jealousy I believe. :bowdown: The brothas are truly gifted in the physical realm...yes lawd. This is one gift the white man has not be able to sucessfully duplicate nor...steal. :rolling:

Some of what Larry Said: In an interview for an ESPN special set to air Thursday at 7 p.m. ET, Jim Gray asks Bird: "Does the NBA lack enough white superstars in your opinion?"

"Well, I think so," Bird replies, according to an ESPN transcript. "You know when I played, you had me and Kevin (McHale) and some others throughout the league. I think it's good for a fan base because as we all know the majority of the fans are white America. And if you just had a couple of white guys in there, you might get them a little excited. But it is a black man's game, and it will be forever. I mean, the greatest athletes in the world are African-American."

Thus as Larry said, it will always be a black man's game. If he feels there are too many black men on the court and not enough whites, is that the black man's fault? Sure black man dominate the sport, but who owns it? Who's running it? Answer: The white man. I like what Magic said...Basketball needs more Larry Birds. So with that I say that white players are gonna have to step their game up if more of them are to be seen on the courts. After all, isn't that what they've been telling us in the job market and college entrance tests? You're not qualified enough??? Well then, how about a dose of your own medicine baby or better yet, get a (borrow some from Shaq) melanin transplant. Melanin is all natural and guaranteed to give you the "boost" you need in getting that ball to the goal. :D

What do yall think?
Larry Birds Comments - Click Here

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
Joyce said:
Jim Gray asks Bird: "Does the NBA lack enough white superstars in your opinion?" "Well, I think so," Bird replies, according to an ESPN transcript. "You know when I played, you had me and Kevin (McHale) and some others throughout the league. I think it's good for a fan base because as we all know the majority of the fans are white America. And if you just had a couple of white guys in there, you might get them a little excited. But it is a black man's game, and it will be forever. I mean, the greatest athletes in the world are African-American."[/B]

Historical backdrop: The NBA started to intergrate in the 1960s with Players like Bill Russell & Wilt Chamberlain. Russell led the Boston Celtics to 11 titles in 13 years (an unprecidented feat). It did not take long for the NBA to pick players for their talent over their color. With talent being the criteria....blacks were obviously going to dominate. By the 1970s the NBA was so black dominated that people were calling it the Negro Basketball Association (and they didn't use Negro). Durings these years rumors of drug abuse was widespread, and the black players were considered too militant & angry, as a result basketball was probably the least popular of the major sports. This changed when Larry Bird & Magic Johnson came into the league in 1980. Magic Johnson was the smiling, happy go lucky black man....Bird was the great white player that had been missing. Throughout the 80s & early 90s Bird drew white fans back to the NBA. Most NBA Fans are white....that's true, and they want to see athletes that look like them. Owners want to win though, so they pick the best players: black. It is definately true that Blacks are the best athletes in the world! :) No harm no foul. There are more white players in the NBA than the past 2 decades though (European players)...it should no longer be an issue. But as we all know, we don't live in a color blind society.

daroc

May 16, 2004
i agree wit ya. but whats funny is how Bird said he didnt like whites guarding him.

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
Let me correct one thing I said..the NBA started to integrate in the 1950s, but by the 60s Blacks were becoming more dominant in the NBA.

kente417mojo

Jan 22, 2004
It seems as though black players are the more dominate athletes. Also, as far as pure, natural talent. That's what makes the basketball such a great sport. Sometimes it seems as though white players are too pasive and not aggresive enough to compete on the same level. They'd rather sit outside the line and shoot 3-pointers all night instead of mixing it up inside, where the real damage is done. Take the Dallas Mavericks for instance. Bird was a great player as far as an understanding of the game and shooting, but he obviously was missing the physical part. His comments are an example of how most white NBA fans probably feel. One thing I didn't get was if he was saying it as something that was bothering him or was he stating that he aknowlegdes that black men will always rule basketball out of sheer talent and physical dominance needed to be a successful well-rounded basketball player?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
shaka64 Black Ancestors : Float On" singer Larry Cunningham of The Floaters dies Honoring Black Ancestors 1
Kenny Jones Black People : Conservative; Larry Elder. Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Larry Wilmore: Racial Reference to Obama Was 'Term of Endearment' Breaking News Black People Open Forum 5
jamesfrmphilly Black Entertainment : i-really-dont-like-larry-wilmore right now Black Entertainment 3
CosmicMessenger Black Entertainment : Larry McCray - "Blues Is My Business" Black Entertainment 0
CosmicMessenger Black Entertainment : Rick Braun, Larry Carlton, Kenny Garrett, Boney James, Kirk Whalum - ALWAYS THERE (Live) Black Entertainment 6
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : BROTHER LARRY WILMORE REPLACES STEPHEN COLBERT Black Entertainment 7
SeekingMaat Audio Video Web Conferencing : Fat Larry's Band - Act Like You Know Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : Larry Hagman, 'Dallas' and 'I Dream of Jeannie' Star, Dead at 81 Black Entertainment 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Larry Flynt offering $1 million for Romney's financial records Black People Politics 1
Ankhur Black Events : Today Newark Protest for Jobs/ Activist Brother Larry Hamm Black Events 0
cherryblossom Black Entertainment : Larry Graham Black Entertainment 3
Kemetstry Black People : Larry King Calls It Quits Black People Open Forum 6
P Black People : Who is Larry Summers? Black People Open Forum 9
T Black People : Talking to Larry King and Brad Pitt Black People Open Forum 0
S Black Sports : Larry Brown and Phil Jackson Black Sports 14
F Black People : LARRY ELDER AND MY DISLIKE FOR HIM Black People Open Forum 20
Destee Larry Neal Honoring Black Ancestors 2
R Black Poetry : Dodge potions the size of large oceans like an albatross at a loss for words and still a boss bird w Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
OldSoul Black People : Bird of the Iron Feather - A Special Consciousness Raising OnLine Black People Open Forum 4
R Black Poetry : My words speak, heard on streets and like a bird’s beak peck cats Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
OldSoul OldSoul : Bird of the Iron Feather OldSoul 0
Heartbeat Black Poetry : First Bird of Spring Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Bird and Diz; Hot House! Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Bird!!!, Ornithology Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : BenBen bird AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : One Bird Flew over AACOOLDRE 0
D Video: Its a bird its a plane... Black Health and Wellness 0
Destee Black People : Bird Flu Was a Total Scam Black People Open Forum 0
Destee Nigeria : First Bird Flu Death in Nigeria Nigeria 1
M Poetry Critiques : The bird and the lonely man Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : All the religions in the world are the feathers of the same bird Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
A Black Picture Image Gallery : Just me "Bird" Black Picture Image Gallery 10
L Black People : Re: The Avian 'Bird' Flu Scare Black People Open Forum 0
Passionfruit005 Poetry Critiques : mentality *The caged bird* Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
A Bird Flu's Impact Being Felt in U.S. Black Health and Wellness 0
Destee Nigeria : Deadly bird flu strain found in Nigeria, first case in Africa Nigeria 1
A Black Poetry : BIRD'S EYE VIEW Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
jamesfrmphilly Black People : bird flu flying our way.............? Black People Open Forum 11
D Black Jokes Humor : Modern Version of The Bird And the Bees Black Jokes Humor 5
E Black Poetry : The Caged Yelllow Bird Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
$$RICH$$ Quiet Poetry Lounge : song bird sings Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
P Black Poetry : This Enslaved Bird... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
E Quiet Poetry Lounge : The Caged Bird Sings Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
P Black Poetry : Releasing the Caged Bird Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
ASHANTA Black Poetry : Cage Bird Why Do You Cry? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
ASHANTA Black Poetry : The Cage Bird Cried Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
O Black Poetry : Black Bird Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
D Black Poetry : Sing Caged Bird, Sing (from A Tarheel Poet's master series) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Heartbeat Black Poetry : First Bird of Spring Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10