Phones and Apps : What Can a Smart Phone Do - That a Cell Phone Cannot Do?

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Peace and Blessings Family,

I'm one of those wondering, what exactly makes a smart phone smart, and what can it do that a cell phone cannot do?

I did a little searching, and it seems that the primary piece that makes a smart phone smart, is that it has its own operating system, unlike a cell phone.

Depending on which smart phone you have, it may be powered by any one of the following operating systems :
  1. Windows Mobile
  2. iPhone OS
  3. Google’s Android
  4. Symbian OS
  5. RIM’s BlackBerry
  6. Palm’s WebOS
  7. Linux
In addition to having its own operating system, it can load / edit documents, and send email.

Is that it?

From what i read, there is no industry standard for a "smart phone" and its capabilities are ever evolving.

Is there more that a smart phone can do, that a cell phone can't do, that makes it so much smarter?

Thanks in advance.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

Keita Kenyatta

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 7, 2004

I'm one of those wondering, what exactly makes a smart phone smart, and what can it do that a cell phone cannot do?

I did a little searching, and it seems that the primary piece that makes a smart phone smart, is that it has its own operating system, unlike a cell phone.

Depending on which smart phone you have, it may be powered by any one of the following operating systems :
  1. Windows Mobile
  2. iPhone OS
  3. Google’s Android
  4. Symbian OS
  5. RIM’s BlackBerry
  6. Palm’s WebOS
  7. Linux
In addition to having its own operating system, it can load / edit documents, and send email.

Is that it?

From what i read, there is no industry standard for a "smart phone" and its capabilities are ever evolving.

Is there more that a smart phone can do, that a cell phone can't do, that makes it so much smarter?

Thanks in advance.

Love You!

Destee

Yeah, it can do a lot that we unfortunately don't know about. It keeps track of you no matter where you are. The government can just sit and listen to you talking even when the phone is off. According to them, the only way around this is to take the batteries out. I guess before it's over, we really are going to need the "mark of the beast" (white man) in order to sell, buy or do anything. Amazing isn't it!? Everything that we've been looking for and dreading is already down here on the physical plane with us!

Gorilla

Jan 31, 2009
They're basically devices that combine more general purpose computing capability and mobile communications technology.

Wikipedia's article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

To see more specifics as to what they can do, I'd just check out mobile apps out there to get an idea.

skuderjaymes

Contextualizer Synthesizer
Nov 2, 2009
theory to application to discussion to percussion
Occupation
independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
A smartphone is really a general purpose computer that can be programmed to do many different things.. the phone service is just one of the many applications available for the computer platform. I rarely use the phone application on my iphone.. and I use the computer at my house a lot less since I got my iphone.. I have about 100 applications and access to all of my mail accounts.. digital books, my music library, etc.. a cell phone is just a cell phone.. but, technically speaking.. even cell phones have operating systems.. but they usually are smaller embedded operating systems customized specifically for that device.

Shikamaru

May 7, 2011

1. Windows Mobile
  2. iPhone OS
  3. Google’s Android
  4. Symbian OS
  5. RIM’s BlackBerry
  6. Palm’s WebOS
  7. Linux

Is that it?

Thanks in advance.

Love You!

Destee

What can it do that a cellphone cannot? Everything.

My smartphone is a camera, camcorder, alarm clock, stopwatch, GPS, web browser, wi-fi hotspot, e-book, gaming console, webtop, video player, jukebox, and more!

I boot-up and shutdown computers with my smartphone. I can even remote them.

There is literally nothing a smartphone can't do. Want new functionality? Download it!!

I'm waiting on Ice Cream sandwich (Android 4.0) for my phone. It just about approximates a desktop replacement.

There is talk of adding Ubuntu desktop to Android phones. Look out now!! It will replace Webtop.

I love my smartphone :).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Now even the FBI is warning about your smart TV's security Science and Technology 2
Al D Africa : Smart Gas Cooking Seeks to Break African Cities' Dirty Charcoal Habit All Things Africa 1
Senegal Black People : Smart Black People Kill US Christian Missionary Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Science and Technology : Aduro Capacitive Smart Touchscreen Gloves for iPhone, iPad, Android (Black) Science and Technology 0
A Black People : Is It Smart For Blacks To Have Babies With The White Races? Black People Open Forum 0
Alarm Clock Science and Technology : “Occupy Your Home”: Confronting “Electro Pollution” and Smart Meter Toxification Science and Technology 2
Kemetstry Black People : PROOF BEING RICH DOESNT MAKE YOU SMART Black People Open Forum 18
jamesfrmphilly Black People : if we are so smart….. Black People Open Forum 7
jamesfrmphilly Black People : if we so smart why ain't we rich? Black People Open Forum 155
R Black Poetry : Just Smart Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
jamesfrmphilly Black People : if we so smart why ain't we rich? Black People Open Forum 41
A Black Entertainment : Anne Hathaway finally got smart Black Entertainment 1
4 Black Jokes Humor : Smart Blond Black Jokes Humor 2
1 Black Jokes Humor : " What A Smart Girl" Black Jokes Humor 3
M Black Poetry : Squirrels Are Smart In Life Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
P Black Poetry : Smart And Good Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
R Black Poetry : They kiss at the table but this fable is concerned with a cake date that went wrong so he spent time at home thinking about it alone now on the phone Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Kemetstry Black Parenting : BEING CONSTANTLY ON THE CELL PHONE IMPACTS YOUR CHILD Black Parenting 1
R Black Poetry : "knew this girl that was home yall up against a stone wall because of a wrong phone call now this boy want some and could fall in love after he break Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Bored and lonely? Blame your phone Science and Technology 0
R Black Poetry : My style maybe wild and wrong in hummers when I dial phone numbers just to rap to chicks and be sli Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Perfection Health and Wellness : In Context Series: Tinnitus and mobile phone use Black Health and Wellness 0
R Black Poetry : HE SAID: COX CABLE wasn’t able to replace my phone doggone a fake visit it's black HIPHOP chow dinn Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
Continuous Broadcast Black People Politics : How President Obama Warned Putin: The Red Phone....NOT Black People Politics 0
Senegal Phones and Apps : Automate Your Android Phone Science and Technology 2
rapunzal24 Black Money Business Jobs : Tips about Phone Interviews Black Money Business Jobs 2
Kemetstry Black People : CELL PHONE INVENTOR Black People Open Forum 17
Alarm Clock Black People : If they tapped Merkel's phone, they cant coverup how many African prez phones were tapped Black People Open Forum 0
Gorilla Phones and Apps : Ubuntu Edge - Linux powered phone looking for backers. Science and Technology 1
AACOOLDRE Black Short Stories : On the Phone Part 3 of 3 all praises are due Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
Kamau47 Black People : Cell Phone vs Your Life Black People Open Forum 7
R Black Poetry : Phone call terminated Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Trayvon Martin Exclusive: Friend on Phone with Teen Before Death Recalls Final Moments Black People Open Forum 2
legit-writer Black Jokes Humor : Phone Conversation Between Me And My Mom Black Jokes Humor 1
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Vigilante Jamming Cell Phone Calls On City Buses To Help Preserve Peace And Quiet Black People Open Forum 1
rapunzal24 Phones and Apps : I finally broke down and got an Android phone, I think I want to marry it. What are some good apps? Science and Technology 8
Ankhur Black People : I Phone, has it's Eye on Your Whereabouts Black People Open Forum 4
river Black People : Sista Destee, You Want My New Phone Number? Black People Open Forum 1
S Phones and Apps : Gmail now requires a phone number to register new accounts. Science and Technology 0
Gorilla Phones and Apps : DefCon fun: Hacker Spoofs Cell Phone Tower to Intercept Calls Science and Technology 0
Son of RA Phones and Apps : Block your hell phone!!!! Science and Technology 3
J Audio Video Web Conferencing : Convert online swf to 3GP for cell phone Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Ankhur Black People : 9/11 Phone calls from planes, real or fake? Black People Open Forum 0
M Black Entertainment : WHAT'S UR PHONE NUMBER? Black Entertainment 1
H Black Poetry : The Phone Call Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
watzinaname Black Poetry : ET, The Phone # You've Just Dialed is not in Service Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
Mad Skillz Black People : white *supremist* publish phone numbers of Jena Six families Black People Open Forum 2
G Black People : CELL PHONE (FBI can listen even when phone is turned off) Black People Open Forum 6
1poetsought Black Poetry : Prepaid Phone Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Bishop Black Poetry : Waiting For Another Phone Call Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3