Black Spirituality Religion : What are the Basic Requirements to be the Pope?

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Peace and Blessings Family,

Are there some basic prerequisites that must be attained before being considered for the position? Do you know them?

I'd imagine that it's not a bad job if you can get it ... and maybe one of you or our youth coming up may be interested in preparing themselves for it.

Anyone know what goes into choosing a Pope? I guess you first gotta be Catholic, right?

*gotta feeling this isn't gonna go well, but a Sister can always hope*

Love Yall and Thanks in advance!

:heart:

Destee

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
I found the following at this link (doesn't seem like it takes a lot) :

For a person to be papabile, which in this case means "one who meets the requirements to be elected to the papacy of the Catholic Church," the person must satisfy the following:

must be male
must be baptized
must be a Catholic, ie. a faithful member of the Church

Note: Many think that it is a requirement that a person be a Cardinal, or a Bishop or even a Priest to be elected pope. This is untrue. While it is preferable that such is the case, it is not a requirement. A true pope can make priests, bishops and cardinals. If a layman were elected pope, that pope could have another bishop or priest supply Holy Orders to the newly-elected pope.

Destee

cherryblossom

Feb 28, 2009
...The Conclave

At least 15 days (and no more than 20 days) following the death of the pope, the church's cardinals gather in Rome for a conclave to elect a new pope. Unless circumstances prevent it, the conclave takes place in the Vatican palace, where the cardinals gather and vote in the Sistine Chapel. Officially, the cardinals are forbidden to discuss possible papal successors before the death of a pope, although private conversations do occur.

Once in Rome, the cardinals stay at the Casa di Santa Marta in the Vatican Grounds, located several hundred yards from St. Peter's Basilica. John Paul II's Universi Dominici Gregis ("Of the Lord's Whole Flock") provided for such modern accommodations -- a far cry from the spartan rooms in the Papal Palace issued to the cardinals in earlier conclaves.

Secrecy is of utmost importance during the conclave. No cardinal may leave without consent, and all the telephones are disconnected and the TV sets taken away. Radios, recording devices, newspapers and cameras are all forbidden, and no letters or documents are allowed in or out unless they are inspected by both the secretary of the conclave and a commission charged with guarding its integrity. The cardinals take an oath to observe the rules laid down by "Romano Pontifici Eligendo," which enjoin secrecy and forbid the electoral interference by civil authorities. The church holds these rules of secrecy in the highest regard: The penalty for disclosing anything about the conclave that must be kept secret is automatic excommunication.

Papal Qualifications

Contrary to what many people think, there are surprisingly few qualifications for someone to become pope: The cardinals can elect any baptized male to the papacy. Actually, even the requirement of baptism is negotiable -- although once a man accepts election to the papacy, he must be willing to be baptized, ordained a priest and consecrated bishop of Rome (and meet the qualifications of those positions). In recent centuries, however, church practice has been to elect someone from among the College of Cardinals.

Voting

Only cardinals under the age of 80 are eligible to vote, and only voting cardinals are allowed into the Sistine Chapel for the election. The first vote is taken in the afternoon of the first day of the conclave. In the following days, they will vote twice each morning and once each afternoon until a pope is selected. If no one is elected within the first nine votes, then they may devote up to a day for prayer and discussion before resuming. They may do the same every seven unsuccessful votes after that.

In order to be elected, a candidate must receive two-thirds of the vote. However, in accordance with a change to papal electoral policy initiated by John Paul II in 1996, if the College of Cardinals is deadlocked after upwards of 12 or 13 days, they can decide to alter the voting process to allow for election by an absolute majority -- 50 percent plus one. The rule change also stipulated that the only method of electing the pope is by scrutiny, i.e., silent ballot -- thus excluding election by acclamation (which almost never happens) and by committee (a technique sometimes used to settle deadlocks).

The actual process of voting is quite elaborate. One at a time, in order of precedence, the cardinals approach the altar while holding up their folded ballots -- rectangular cards with the words "Eligo in Summum Pontificem" ("I elect as supreme pontiff") printed at the top. The elector kneels in prayer before the altar for a short while, before rising. He says, "I call to witness Christ the Lord who will be my judge, that my vote is given to the one who before God I consider should be elected," and places his ballot on a thin, flat plat called a paten. Then he uses the paten to drop the ballot into a chalice.

After everyone has voted, scrutineers count the ballots before they are unfolded. If the number of ballots does not match the number of electors, the ballots are burned without being counted and another vote is immediately taken. If the number of cards does match the number of electors, the scrutineers, who sit at a table in front of the altar, begin counting the votes. The first scrutineer unfolds the card, notes the name on a piece of paper and passes the card to the second scrutineer. He then notes the name and passes it to the third scrutineer, who reads it aloud. The last scrutineer uses a threaded needle to pierce each card through the word "eligo."

After all the ballots have been counted, the ends of the thread are tied and the joined cards are placed in an empty receptacle. Then the scrutineers add up totals votes for each candidate.

After the vote, the secretary of the conclave and the master of ceremonies burn the ballots, adding special chemicals to make the smoke appear white or black to those waiting in St. Peter's Square. Black smoke signifies that no one received enough votes to be elected pontiff, while white smoke signifies the election of a new pope.

The New Pope

After the winner of the papal election is announced, the dean of the College of Cardinals asks the pope-elect, "Do you accept your canonical election as supreme pontiff?" After the prospective pope accepts, the dean asks him what name he would like to go by. Assuming he is already a bishop, he immediately becomes the new pope. The Dean of the College of Cardinals then steps onto the main balcony of the Vatican and declares: "Habemus Papam." ("We have a Pope.") The new pope then appears and delivers his Apostolic Blessing.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,59245,00.html#ixzz2NNTho2Zu

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Peace and Blessings Family,

Are there some basic prerequisites that must be attained before being considered for the position? Do you know them?

I'd imagine that it's not a bad job if you can get it ... and maybe one of you or our youth coming up may be interested in preparing themselves for it.

Anyone know what goes into choosing a Pope? I guess you first gotta be Catholic, right?

*gotta feeling this isn't gonna go well, but a Sister can always hope*

Love Yall and Thanks in advance!

Destee

What are the Basic Requirements to be the Pope?

Male, preferably a White Male

Papal Qualifications

Contrary to what many people think, there are surprisingly few qualifications for someone to become pope: The cardinals can elect any baptized male to the papacy. Actually, even the requirement of baptism is negotiable -- although once a man accepts election to the papacy, he must be willing to be baptized, ordained a priest and consecrated bishop of Rome (and meet the qualifications of those positions). In recent centuries, however, church practice has been to elect someone from among the College of Cardinals.
http://destee.com/index.php?threads...equirements-to-be-the-pope.75158/#post-786715

*gotta feeling this isn't gonna go well, but a Sister can always hope* ... I'd imagine that it's not a bad job if you can get it ... and maybe one of you or our youth coming up may be interested in preparing themselves for it. :rofl:

Cardinals locked into Sistine Chapel to pick pope
2013-03-12T171305Z_1_LOVE92B1BTS63_RTRMADP_BASEIMAGE-960X540_VATICAN-CARDINALS-ROUGH-CUT-O.JPG

Cardinals prepare to elect pope for troubled Church
Reuters Videos 0:59Roman Catholic cardinals prepare to elect a pope who will face one of the most difficult periods in the …
http://destee.com/index.php?threads...waves-through-church.74908/page-7#post-786666

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Shibboleth Black Spirituality Religion : True Religion meets the SIX basic needs of Human Spirituality Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 6
Enki Black Education / Schools : Basic Electrical Wiring.. Black Education / Schools 113
blazejay Black Money Business Jobs : Some insightful,basic questions Black Money Business Jobs 0
P Black Poetry : It's Basic Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
T Black People : basic QUESTIONS to address Black People Open Forum 12
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : Knowledge is the basic foundation, above which the walls of devotion have to raise Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : Knowledge is the basic foundation, above which the walls of devotion have to raise Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : God will not mistake the pure soul asking for the basic needs of the life Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Basic facts of Vodoun for the Afrikan Diaspora Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 3
W Black People : 10 Basic Things We All Can Do Right Now Black People Open Forum 4
watzinaname Black Poetry : Basic Necessities Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
I Black Spirituality Religion : basic beliefs of afrocentric faiths Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 6
P Black Poetry : Not The Basic Love Poem Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Poetry : What are the requirements? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Destee Ghana : Legal Requirements for Doing Business / Buying / Importing From Ghana to USA ? Ghana 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : 44,000 Catholic Women Demand Answers From Pope Francis Over Sex Abuse Crisis Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
J Black People : What ever happened to Tom Pope of the Tom Pope radio show? Black People Open Forum 18
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : THE FICTIONAL POPE LINUS BASED ON AN EGYPTIAN SONG & OR ORPHEUS BROTHER? AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Pope & incest from the start AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Pope's Hit list (Revised) AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : A Pope Hit lists AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Who was the 2nd Pope & involved in incest? AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Why the Pope hates Trump's Wall ?????? AACOOLDRE 1
frankster Black People Politics : Pope minders Fingers little Girl accidental or purposeful. Black People Politics 1
jamesfrmphilly Black Spirituality Religion : Pope-Francis-Many-powerful-people-don-t-want-peace-because-they-live-off-war Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
RAPTOR Black People : Abdul-Jabbar Responds to O’Reilly on Muslim Violence: Like Making Pope Responsible for IRA Black People Open Forum 0
Fine1952 Black People Politics : President Obama Appeals 2 Pope Francis Black People Politics 6
OldSoul OldSoul : Assata Shakur's Letter to the Pope OldSoul 29
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : How did we get Two different Pope List ??? AACOOLDRE 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Pope warns church must find new balance or fail Christian Study Group 53
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : The Pope Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 4
dunwiddat Black Spirituality Religion : The Pope Is Only Human Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 3
RAPTOR Black Spirituality Religion : Pope Francis’ Junta Past: Argentine Journalist on New Pontiff’s Ties to Abduction of Jesuit Priests Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 23
Destee Black Spirituality Religion : New Pope - Argentina's Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio - takes the name Pope Francis Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 36
Keita Kenyatta Black People : All the Pope's Secrets Are Beginning to Leak Out Black People Open Forum 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Lightning Strikes St Peter's Basilica as Pope Resigns 2013 Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 20
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : The Black Pope Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
Destee Black People : The Pope Should Return Africa's Stolen Treasures Before He Retires Black People Open Forum 11
Kemetstry Black Spirituality Religion : THE POPE ABDICATES, WHATS NEXT? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 60
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Pope's sudden resignation sends shockwaves through Church Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 50
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : Well I'll Be Dagon - Something Sure Smells Fishy - copycat evolution of the Pope's mitre Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Dre Money Black Hebrew Israelites : The Pope Who Okay'd Slavery Black Hebrew Israelites Study Group 20
RAPTOR Black Spirituality Religion : Pope Creating New Vatican Office To 'Re-Evangelize' The West Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : From The Pope To The Queen To Obama They Lie To The People Chief Elder Osiris 0
N Black Spirituality Religion : The Poop I Mean Pope In Africa, Your Thoughts? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 7
$$RICH$$ Black Spirituality Religion : Africa Cardinal can a black be the next POPE ?? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 19
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : Pope's Title Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
info-moetry Black People : Pope distorted evidence on condoms Black People Open Forum 1
I Black Jokes Humor : A jokey joke in honor of the Pope! Black Jokes Humor 6
Zulile Black Jokes Humor : Hillary and the Pope Black Jokes Humor 3