Black People : Wet Seal to pay $7.5 million to settle race discrimination suit

asmith161718

Dec 31, 2009
NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund.

The firm represented plaintiffs in a national class-action effort filed against the struggling Foothill Ranch company in July in federal court in Santa Ana.

The lawsuit alleged that former top Wet Seal executives denied equal pay and promotion opportunities to black store managers or removed them outright, replacing them with white employees.

In December, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission found that company honchos had discriminated against Nicole Cogdell by removing her from her manager's role at a Pennsylvania store.

The EEOC’s three-year investigation determined that Wet Seal sought an "Armani look" featuring workers who looked more like Barbie and Ken than Cogdell, who is black.

Quiz: How much do you know about Internet sales taxes?

Much has changed in the last year for the company and its 526 Wet Seal and Arden B. stores.

Amid sliding sales, Wet Seal purged its board and replaced Chief Executive Susan McGalla in January with John D. Goodman.

The new leadership team has agreed to shell out $7.5 million to settle the lawsuit, according to the NAACP firm. At least $5.58 million of the amount will go into a fund to cover damages to black current and former Wet Seal managers.

The company has also agreed to make "numerous changes," promising to track applications to ensure hiring diversity, expand its human resources department to allow for better investigation of discrimination complaints and maintain a council of advisors for guidance on equal employment tactics, according to NAACP LDF.

13bias-pic-articleLarge.jpg

No boycott? I guess they love those bodysuits too much.

crissy27

Jul 17, 2013
What the heck is an "Armani look"?
What is that even suppose to mean?
Didn't or doesn't Armani have multi-cultural looking folks in its campaigns? Idiots! Thought they were clever trying to go around the Equal Opp. Laws.

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
It's like when Citibank wanted only "all-American" types in their managerial and executive staff.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Black Poetry : Well I'm wet got class like velvet grass my choice prevail, like a horse tail fast to be whipped around I got hips and they renown and round, erase Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : Emotions strong and like oceans roam in wet places while he get laces at home alarm is the reason in a girl's arm every season, the worst is fear then Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : Its a dumb start but it from the heart and bona fide now I'm gonna ride home with this boy a kiss he can enjoy so lets get under way gonna be wet thun Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : Its a pleasure to measure and find the size the treasure is wine and pies write in his ledger the day they met her thing stay wet this is all habit re Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : She have butter breasts for other guests her mother suggests she wear a bra one boy in a car tried to get some normal thing for a wet one but she let Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : HE SAID: “This stuff smack lions and attract iron like a magnet right my dew rag wet hair growing wi Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
R Black Poetry : HE SAID: “This stuff smack lions and attract iron like a magnet right my dew rag wet hair growing w Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
R Black Poetry : I'm a wet one here to get stuff done boys wanna huff and puff be alert Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : Her quotes are fiery like notes in diary they get read and spread on wet bread her dress is down and Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : her cake wet today and she can't make a getaway here in VIRGINIA BEACH Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : Got wet flows and a set of clothes made from same fabric have a lame habit when he dress to impress Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
R Black Poetry : Got wet flows and a set of clothes made from same fabric have a lame habit when he dress to impress Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : Desire stats in a dryer habitat now too wet to get attention // Grow knowledge and go to college Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : SHE SAID: I flirt and my skirt too wet to lift but you can get a sniff Of my deep perfume that I kee Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : SHE SAID: fine got class and like an assigned task accomplish missions wet // got pride but set asid Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
R Black Poetry : the fireworks under her skirt may explode her wet pound cake ready ate on a plate my car is nice but Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
R Black Poetry : HE SAID: look boo you menu got me so into you like onions in hot stew // and my plot is to get a wet Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
R Black Poetry : Got a wet thirst and things could get worse in this car, a honey // with charm not a funny farm pan Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : NAW PLAYER: my wet hormones grow galore then go shore like ships on trips you wanna float your boat Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : Got a wet thirst and things could get worse in this car, a honey // with charm not a funny farm pant Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Cold, wet weather may help spread deadly pig virus: USDA Black People Open Forum 1
1poetsought Black Poetry : On the Loose Wet Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Ankhur Black Entertainment : the movie "RED" omen of future of legal wet ops? Black Entertainment 0
cherryblossom Black Poetry : Wet Lips Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
D Black Entertainment : beyonce-gets-wet-for-vibe Black Entertainment 0
A Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Trimming wet/damp hair Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 0
R Black Poetry : A WET DREAM Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : Sticky & Wet (extreme) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
D Black Poetry : A Wet Dream Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 15
D Black Poetry : A Wet Dream Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
D Black Poetry : A Wet Dream Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
M Black Poetry : Panties Wet Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
D Black Poetry : A wet Dream Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
T Black Poetry : Wet Panties & Sweet Dreams Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
N Meat Recipe : Wet Burritos Food Discussion and Recipes 4
R Black Poetry : Wet Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : STICKY WHEN WET Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 18
E Black Poetry : Wet Dream Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : Sticky N' Wet Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
A Black Poetry : Slippery When Wet Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
alyce Quiet Poetry Lounge : lunch with a little wet chimichunga Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
I Black Poetry : Let me get my feet wet Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11
K Black Poetry : Quills - Can I Make You Wet? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Bishop Black Poetry : Wet Teddy Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
Heartbeat Black Poetry : Wet Panty's...from The Penis Papers Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
J Quiet Poetry Lounge : Wet Punani Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 15
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Biblical King's Royal Seal Unearthed Near Temple Mount Christian Study Group 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Pastor caught lying about ‘black robber’ busted again for pretending to be a Navy SEAL Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
RAPTOR African American History Culture : ON THIS DAY (1966) HUEY NEWTON AND BOOBY SEAL FOUNDED THE BLACK PANTHERS African American History Culture 10
skuderjaymes Black People : Active-duty Navy Seal & Ex-Marines supply firepower to racist street gangs. Black People Open Forum 4