Nigeria : Wesley Snipes invests in Nigerian Film!

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
Riada said:
Pan, I hear what you’re saying. Thanks. You’re truly wise beyond your years! I checked out the first thread. All I can say is Lawdy, Lawdy!! Yes, you have covered it all and then some up in here! I’ve met Africans of all types—ones who thought AAs were superior and ones who thought we were inferior, but mostly ones who just don’t know what to think about us. I don’t know what the big deal is. I’ve always wondered why people were so closed off to other people. I’ve found there are usually many cultural equivalences between cultures of people.
If you thought the 1st thread was something, check out the second one...that one got really heavy! By the way, how do you know what my years are? :wink:

Riada

May 14, 2005
Well, I have my ways of finding things out. LOL!! Seriously, however old or young you are, your wisdom comes shining through in your posts.

Re that 2nd thread, no thanks, not today. One of those a day is enough!!

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
Riada said:
Well, I have my ways of finding things out. LOL!! Seriously, however old or young you are, your wisdom comes shining through in your posts.

Re that 2nd thread, no thanks, not today. One of those a day is enough!!
Thank you for the compliment!

river

Watch Her Flow
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
Y'all know that in the past I have raised the same points that Karmashines raises in this thread. While I still stand by all that she and I have said, I do see brotha Samurai's point that there is a marked difference between saying ain't none of them no good and saying there are many of them who are not suitable. I can find no defense for the sista walking around People's drugstore cussing in a loud voice at some man on her cell phone. And you better not say nothing to her about self respect or you'll get cussed out too.

I know too that people are people whatever continent, island or country they reside in. Anyone who thinks they can go to Africa or the Ceribbeans or somewhere and not still have to shop around is setting themselves up for disappointment. I cannot think that being born in Africa has an inevitable effect on a man's coomitment to family when I know a woman whose Nigerian husband left her and their two children ater 11 years of marriage when it turned out he already had a family back in Africa! I can't use that as evidence that ALL African men are dogs but by it I know that there are dogs in Africa just like there are in America. People are people.

SAMURAI36

Banned
Mar 3, 2005
Bay Area
Our Sister presents some very pertinent points here.

Indeed, there is the issue of shedding one set of problems, when considering the pursuit of non-American Blacks, for the acquiring of a whole new set of problems.

Most of this, I think, comes with the lack of exposure to a new "culture" (while there is an inherent cultural universality amongst all blacks, it cannot be denied that differences due to climate, religion, language, socio-political structuring, and even exposure to the white man exsists between various facets of the Black diaspora). I think that a person should have it already well within mind, that they will have to adopt a wider array of thinking, if they hadn't already, prior to their new relationship.

The same premise should be taken into consideration when dating anyone of any other besides one's own.

To expound further upon RIVER's point, I myself have been told to steer clear of various groups within the Black Diaspora, both on a practical and romantic level.

The admonishment I received about Nigerians seems to mirror RIVER's statment, that Nigerian women are opportunists. The same/similar was said about Liberian women.

From what I understand, many South African women (and people in general) have not shaken the racial identity issues that have plagued them for the past several decades.

However, East African women are apparently the most venerated.

Women from Ghana are said to be more "sexually uninhibited" (take that to mean whatever you wish) than other African women.

SAMURAI36

Banned
Mar 3, 2005
Bay Area
Continued.....

In one of PAN's threads, there was a KONGOLESE sister, that mirrored many positives that I had heard about Central African people.

I say all of this, because even though there may very well be some truth and/or accreditation to these reputations, an individual would still need to examine each person they meet (especially those who would be considered as potential mates) on an individual level.

Nigerian Men may be "royal oats sowers", and Nigerian women may be "gold diggers' by and large, but I am more than certain that there are quite a few that are decent, loving Black people.

Just as, while Ethiopian woman may be the proverbial "jewel of the Nile", there may be a couple of harlots and Jezebels from that culture".

The very same principle applies with our people here in the West.

Remember, when seeking out a potential mate, all a person SHOULD be concerned with, is that ONE special person.

PEACE

river

Watch Her Flow
Mar 22, 2004
Occupation
Author
SAMURAI36 said:
In one of PAN's threads, there was a KONGOLESE sister, that mirrored many positives that I had heard about Central African people.

I say all of this, because even though there may very well be some truth and/or accreditation to these reputations, an individual would still need to examine each person they meet (especially those who would be considered as potential mates) on an individual level.

Nigerian Men may be "royal oats sowers", and Nigerian women may be "gold diggers' by and large, but I am more than certain that there are quite a few that are decent, loving Black people.

Just as, while Ethiopian woman may be the proverbial "jewel of the Nile", there may be a couple of harlots and Jezebels from that culture".

The very same principle applies with our people here in the West.

Remember, when seeking out a potential mate, all a person SHOULD be concerned with, is that ONE special person.

PEACE
I second that emotion.

No people is free from stereotyping,

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
river said:
I know too that people are people whatever continent, island or country they reside in. Anyone who thinks they can go to Africa or the Ceribbeans or somewhere and not still have to shop around is setting themselves up for disappointment. I cannot think that being born in Africa has an inevitable effect on a man's coomitment to family when I know a woman whose Nigerian husband left her and their two children ater 11 years of marriage when it turned out he already had a family back in Africa! I can't use that as evidence that ALL African men are dogs but by it I know that there are dogs in Africa just like there are in America. People are people.
River:

Although I do like to point out that certain behaviors & attitudes are common within some cultures. You are absolutely correct in pointing out that not everyone in that society is going to behave in a certain way.

river

Watch Her Flow
Mar 22, 2004
Occupation
Author
Maybe the issue of panafrican dating deserves its own thread. We have hi-jacked the thread about Wesley Snipes.

Who the man is dating or chose to marry is totally irrelevant to the efforts he is making for all of us. It is well about time that we benefited from the cultural influence we have. High time that we profited from our own creativity as every other group has profited off of us.

The only problem I would have with Snipes is if his dating preferences spilled over into his hiring practices. If there aren't too many sistas on his team I would have a problem with that.

But on a personal note he is not my man. My man doesn't date non black women. My man dates me. If he is dating a non black woman then he is not my man--he's her man and their relationship is not my business.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
Implementation and Sustainment
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.
It's okay to admire otherz, but first, love self. ELEVATE your self-image by having a healthy love & respect for yourself. ✍