Black Spirituality Religion : Wearing Black to Funerals

truetothecause

Feb 26, 2007
In the fantasy of Afreekan Unity
Occupation
The~rapist
Couple things I'm finding out...

"The color black and its relationship to funerals dates back to England. The color black in English history represented dignity, respect, and spiritual reflection. The relatively recent funeral of the Queen Mother in England was a reminder of the continued tradition in England of the country wearing black as a symbol of respect. During the Middle Ages, in the Christian religious tradition, the color black symbolized the earth through the biblical interpretation of the phrase "ashes to ashes and dust to dust"." (http://www.milso.com/about/about_pgs/funeral_serv_faq.html#Anchor-Why-56991)

Continental Europe
"Mourning dress" redirects here. For the daytime form of men's formal dress, see morning dress.

The custom of wearing unadorned black clothing for mourning dates back at least to the Roman Empire, when the Toga pulla made of dark-colored wool was worn during periods of mourning.

Through the Middle Ages and Renaissance, distinctive mourning was worn for general as well as personal loss; after the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre of Huguenots in France, Elizabeth I of England and her court are said to have dressed in full mourning to receive the French Ambassador.

Women in mourning and widows wore distinctive black caps and veils, generally in a conservative version of the current fashion.

In rural areas of Mexico, Portugal, Spain, Italy and Greece widows will wear black for the rest of their lives. The immediate family members of the deceased will wear black for an extended period of time. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mourning)

Having come to KNOW, that everything the E.D.(european descendants) people's "know", they obtained from US........the Blackness.....never say die.....keepa keep on!

I'm seeking information from OUR Cultural, Spiritual, MetaPhysical, Universal...way out there somewhere.....deeper....KNOWledge.....[/FONT]

Can you help me with that:?:

M.E.
:hearts2:

truetothecause

Feb 26, 2007
In the fantasy of Afreekan Unity
Occupation
The~rapist
I suppose not:10500::bye:

M.E.
I have to wonder why:?:
This is something we've ALL participated in and shall continue to do.
It's a "Ritual"
Do ya'll all continue to practice the way we've been taught to do by white folk:?:
Oh yes...some Black Mama/Papa/Sista/Brother is crying this very moment...as a loved one just made their transition.

but...seems this topic is :censored:off limits....depressing....dark and dreary....sad....so let's not talk about it....

OR...

did I forget my "shower to shower" today:?:

M.E.

Zulile

Jun 24, 2007
Occupation
HR/Finance
;)

Sister true :heart:

I have attended only one funeral outside of SA and the widow wore Black - other than that I havent really "seen" it, outside of TV. I have never worn Black as sign of mourning (or to a funeral) and most funerals that I have attended people mostly wear their "sunday clothes"

At funerals of ''prominant folk'', I often see the Shembe (oldest African Independent/Indigenous Church in South Africa) wearing white... and much traditional clothing representing the tribe of the deceased.

I simply havent ever given it much thought. Funerals are often 'festive' - celebrating the passing of a loved one to what we assume is a better place, and celebrating the time they shared with us, here. As a youngster there was no better free party to crash than a funeral bash. Sounds nuts, but true.

Anyway, clearly I cannot help you with the wearing of black significance..

I will, however, give it more thought now!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Destee Black Spirituality Religion : Wearing Black @ Funerals Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 10
R Black Poetry : She sweet and black with a tremendous street act boys carry her books even the dairy is shook over the milk in her breasts she's wearing a silk dress Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : 'I'm not coming here to conform': Black women on why wearing their natural hair at work matters Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : He Got the Right One! Black Woman Chases Down Confederate Flag-Wearing Teen Calling Her the N-Word Black Entertainment 0
Liberty Black People Politics : Ohio lawyer may spend five days in jail for wearing a Black Lives Matter pin Black People Politics 2
HODEE Black People : ‘Mask mouth is a seriously stinky side effect of wearing masks Black People Open Forum 0
R Black Poetry : She sweet and blackwith a tremendous street actboys carry her bookseven the dairy is shookover the milk in her breastsshe's wearing a silk dress Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
jamesfrmphilly Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : whoopi-goldberg-says wearing weave-is cultural appropriation Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 35
Liberty Black Women : Shocking History: Why Women of Color in the 1800s Were Banned From Wearing Their Hair in Public Black Women 4
OldSoul OldSoul : Why Women of Color in the 1800s Were Banned From Wearing Their Hair in Public OldSoul 2
Angela22 Black Women : Wearing Your Natural Face Black Women 35
legit-writer Black Relationships : Wearing Your Heart on Your Sleeve Black Relationships 3
Destee Black Women : Do You Have any Tips or Tricks for Wearing High Heels - Stilletos ? Black Women 4
Chevron Dove Black People : I Didn't Know They Have a Law Against Wearing Saggy Pants Now~ Black People Open Forum 92
MsInterpret Black People : Are you against wearing Furs and Leather? Black People Open Forum 18
Amnat77 Black People : 40 Women Bodyguards Gadhafi 's Secret Weapon? Highly Trained, High-Heel Wearing Virgi Black People Open Forum 5
G Black Poetry : I’M NOT WEARING ANY PANTIES Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
H Black Entertainment : *VIDEO* | 40 Glocc From G-Unit Knockouts A Bum For Wearing Blood Color Rags! Black Entertainment 1
G Black People : Are Blacks Proudly Wearing the Badges of Slavery? Black People Open Forum 1
D Black Entertainment : Christian Organization Targets 50 Cent for Wearing Cross Around His Neck Black Entertainment 0
K Black Poetry : A thugged out timberland boot wearing do anything for his woman type of brother Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 17
M Black Poetry : let me rock sick about the chop sticks eat rice on the street nice wearing ice and bl Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Our Black Party Black People Politics 0
C Black People : There Is No Victory For Black Afrikan People Black People Open Forum 0
Don Fletcher Black Poetry : Black Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Short Stories : New book reveals Malcolm X secretly met the KKK to discuss setting up a ‘separate state’ for Black Americans Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Ice Cube Helped Develop a New ‘Black Trump Platform’ and Fans Are Calling Him Out Over It Black People Politics 7
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Money Business Jobs : Killer Mike's majority Black and Latino owned online bank already has 'tens of thousands' on the waiting list Black Money Business Jobs 0
C Black People : The Mind Of Black Afrikan Americans Black People Open Forum 1
OldSoul Black People : BLACK PARADE- Beyonce by Jene Marie Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black People : JPMorgan Chase is making a $30 billion commitment to help address U.S. wealth in equality, in underserved Black and Latino Communities Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black People Politics : LACK OF SUPPORT FOR DEMOCRATS ( BLUE STATES ) IS BECAUSE REPUBLICANS DON'T WANT TO HELP THE BLACK ( DEMOCRATIC ) COMMUNITY Black People Politics 0
OldSoul Black People : What it means to be Black in Brazil Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING ONLINE - Oct 4, 2020 - Say their names - Black Women Killed by Police Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : Black Afrikans Must Learn Again Black People Open Forum 0
SwagII Black People Politics : The Black Experience is Still a Tragedy, Yet Some Blacks Support Our Oppressors! Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : 'Blatant disregard and disrespect of Black people': Virginia district apologizes for segregated schools - 53 years later Black Education / Schools 0
C Black People : A Disorganized Black Afrikan People Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : Black Afrikan Sacrifice Black People Open Forum 0
Energy Black Spirituality Religion : Don't Forget, The BIBLE is the ULTIMATE Black History book Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Al D Black People : The black-owned coffee firm that became a bestseller Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black People Politics : JOE BIDEN’S AGENDA _ FOR THE BLACK COMMUNITY Black People Politics 4
C Black People : If Black Lives Matter Is So ProBlack Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : Black Leaders Discussion feat. Angela Davis, Kwame Ture & Fannie Lou Hamer (1973) Black People Open Forum 0
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : ?Did Black Women Author The Bible? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : Pull Out of the Kentucky Derby? Pressure on a Black Owner Mounts Black Sports 1
C Black People : Are There Any Black Afrikans Interested In Freedom? Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : 19 Black families purchase 96 acres of land to create a 'safe haven' for Black people Black People Doing Positive Things 3
A Black People : Gossiping about Black Folks. Black People Open Forum 2
Kemetstry Black Money Business Jobs : BLACK MAN WINS INNOVATIVE PATENT Black Money Business Jobs 0