Nigeria : Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Spend $225 million on Private Jets

Amnat77

Dec 11, 2006
UK..not for long
Occupation
professional.
They should've used that money to help out the poor before even thinking about buying private jets.
They're just doing what Jesus would have done...he rode around on a pimped out camel, and wore robes lined with gold threads before he was crucified apparently..

Amnat77

Dec 11, 2006
UK..not for long
Occupation
professional.
The (Big) Business of Faith – Black Megachurches…

Rock climbing walls, kids’ spaces that resemble small Disneylands, bookstores and state-of-the-art sound systems represent today’s Black church – supersized. Black mega churches draw huge numbers of worshippers and receive millions in collection plates. Black Mega churches are successful corporate entities that seek to service all the spiritual and social needs of their communities.

Black mega churches’ pastors are major corporate CEOs shepherding large business bases. Mega churches are characterized by congregations of from 10,000 to 25,000 and spectacular buildings which house sanctuaries, day-care centers, bookstores, and health centers. Most resound with crowds and activities seven days a week,

and own businesses, subdivisions, and separate community activity buildings. Almost all mega churches have TV pastorates, feature high-tech video along with foot-tapping music. There are less than 50 nationwide, but Dallas-based Bishop T.D. Jakes, Houston’s Kirby Caldwell, Atlanta’s Eddie Long, Creflo Dollar and Charles E. Blake have grown their memberships by preaching material success and sales their books, festivals, and movies. Their congregations have expanded into businesses such as: schools, assisted living facilities and ex-offender re-entry programs. Some African Americans leaders find the growth of these congregations worrisome; saying these pastorates focus on messages of personal prosperity and turn their backs on the struggle for civil rights.

The typical mega church is suburban, has a total budget of over $5 million and often more than 50 full-time staff. These churches tend to have a charismatic senior minister and an active array of social and outreach ministries. The average salary for a lead pastor in a mega church is $147,000. Salaries for lead pastors go as high as $400,000 to as low as $40,000. Executive pastors at churches that have a weekend attendance of 2,000 or more persons earn, on average, $99,000 a year. Generally, staffing costs average between 40 and 50 percent of many churches’ budget. A church with a budget of $1-1.99 million provides, on average, the senior pastor with a salary of $91,000. The average salary for a senior pastor at a church with a $10 million, or more, budget is $189,000. The median age for a mega churches’ senior pastor is 49.

In a survey conducted by the Leadership Network, churches with week end attendance of 2,000 or more provide their full-time staffers with medical insurance. Ninety-three percent of churches with week end attendances of 1,000, or more, offer their workers medical insurance. Forty percent offer medical coverage for employees’ dependents. Other benefits provided by a majority of mega churches include dental insurance, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, a retirement account and a technology/cell phone allowance. Four in five typically contribute to a retirement plan for staff.

http://thyblackman.com/2011/05/05/the-big-business-of-faith-black-megachurches/

abstract219

...standing on the shoulders of giants
Sep 21, 2005
Philadelphia PA
Occupation
Behavioral Health
Im just sayin....

There is a mini-mega church on Lehigh Ave in Philly. Now, Im not defending the religion and all that, but this church does hire from a predominately black neighborhood. They have outreach services in the community to aid the elderly and working poor, financial and home renovation services, offer classes and free meals.

yes, the pastor is a little extravagant, but they are probably the only entity that hires us...from the community....for like 50 blocks!

Naw, pastor aint got a jet, probably lives in the burbs, I dont know.

But they are doing something.

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
There is a mini-mega church on Lehigh Ave in Philly. Now, Im not defending the religion and all that, but this church does hire from a predominately black neighborhood. They have outreach services in the community to aid the elderly and working poor, financial and home renovation services, offer classes and free meals.

yes, the pastor is a little extravagant, but they are probably the only entity that hires us...from the community....for like 50 blocks!

Naw, pastor aint got a jet, probably lives in the burbs, I dont know.

But they are doing something.
I wont knock those who not only preach/teach the "prosperity gospel" but spread around the wealth.

Those who have viable outreach services are practicing what they preach so I wont knock them either.

The on-ground work some folks did in providing relief to Hurricaine Katrina/Rita victims changed some of my opinion in this regards, for example giving me another perspective on Bishop Jakes and Potter's House.

So, like you said, "But they are doing something."

peace!

skuderjaymes

Contextualizer Synthesizer
Nov 2, 2009
theory to application to discussion to percussion
Occupation
independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
They should've used that money to help out the poor before even thinking about buying private jets.
Are you sure that they aren't also helping the poor? The Article only said that
they bought jets.. and it bunched them all together based purely on nationality.
It didn't really speak to whatever else they have done/are doing...​

skuderjaymes

Contextualizer Synthesizer
Nov 2, 2009
theory to application to discussion to percussion
Occupation
independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
So Nigeria is not worth saving?
not sure what my comment has to do with his.. my comment was about
private air travel versus public air travel.. nothing to do with saving Nigeria..

but while we're talking.. saving Nigeria from what and for what.. ? And is
it really a money thing?.. or is it a power thing.. ? Poor people can't eat
money.. if we really are talking about lasting solutions, I think we have to
realize that they will not be realized through an exploitive economic system..
it's like trying to put out a fire with fire.. Billionaire's amass their billions through
exploitation.. direct or indirect.. why then would an exploiter give a sh** about
the exploited.? except maybe to temporarily ease his conscience or to
maintain his golden goose..​

ManicRaider

Jan 15, 2011
Are you sure that they aren't also helping the poor? The Article only said that
they bought jets.. and it bunched them all together based purely on nationality.
It didn't really speak to whatever else they have done/are doing...​
Did I ever say they weren't helping the poor?

not sure what my comment has to do with his.. my comment was about
private air travel versus public air travel.. nothing to do with saving Nigeria..

but while we're talking.. saving Nigeria from what and for what.. ? And is
it really a money thing?.. or is it a power thing.. ? Poor people can't eat
money.. if we really are talking about lasting solutions, I think we have to
realize that they will not be realized through an exploitive economic system..
it's like trying to put out a fire with fire.. Billionaire's amass their billions through
exploitation.. direct or indirect.. why then would an exploiter give a sh** about
the exploited.? except maybe to temporarily ease his conscience or to
maintain his golden goose..​
It was a bad posting day for me yesterday. Let's pretend it didn't happen. :qqb019:

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

I'll be honest. I like black culture forums, so I've signed up for this one, BX, and Lipstick Alley. I won't post too often, only on things that I'm really interested in. Nice to meet you. :)
Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
Implementation and Sustainment
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.