Nigeria : Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Spend $225 million on Private Jets

Amnat77

Dec 11, 2006
UK..not for long
Occupation
professional.
A few wealthy Nigerians spent at least $225 million acquiring private jets between March 2010 and March 2011, a Nigerian newspaper reported on Monday.

According to the report published by the Punch Newspaper, a couple of the acquisitions were made by billionaires Aliko Dangote and Mike Adenuga. Last year, Dangote acquired a US$45 million Bombardier jet as a gift to himself on his 53rd birthday, while Mike Adenuga purchased a Bombardier Global Express XRS. Both Dangote and Adenuga own at least two private planes each.

Apart from wealthy business tycoons, Nigerian clergymen and spiritual leaders are also joining the very elite league of jet owners.

In March this year, David Oyedepo, a Nigerian cleric generally believed to be Africa’s wealthiest gospel preacher, acquired a Gulfstream V jet for US$30 million. Oyedepo, who presides over the Winners Chapel, one of Africa’s largest churches, now owns a private collection of four aircraft. In addition to his latest acquisition, he previously owned two Gulfstream planes and a Bombardier Challenger Aircraft. He is also reportedly creating a private hanger to accommodate his flying toys.

Oyedepo is not the only Nigerian clergyman to own a jet. Pastor Enoch Adeboye, the revered overseer of Nigeria’s largest congregation, The Redeemed Christian Church of God, is also a proud jet owner. In March 2009, the great man of God spent $30 million on a Gulfstream jet amidst widespread criticism. Pastor Sam Adeyemi, another cleric and founder of the Daystar Christian center, a flourishing Pentecostal congregation which repeatedly preaches financial prosperity, is also a jet owner.

It’s not cheap to own a private jet. On average, it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars annually to maintain a personal plane. The majority of Nigerians frown at such flagrant displays of opulence, particularly on the path of their clergymen, given that 60% of Nigerians still live below the poverty line.

http://blogs.forbes.com/mfonobongns...ns-pastors-spend-225-million-on-private-jets/

skuderjaymes

Contextualizer Synthesizer
Nov 2, 2009
theory to application to discussion to percussion
Occupation
independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
why do they call private jets toys? seems like a good idea if you want to be
in control of your travel.. 30 million.. if you got it.. and I'm sure they retain
quite a bit of their value.. If I was a billionaire, I think I would buy my way out
of public air travel also.. I'd buy me a plane with an eject button.. make
survival possible.

info-moetry

STAFF
STAFF
Dec 20, 2004
The rotten Apple
Occupation
A+ technician
peace

I think the problem is more with the pastors/clergymen, like T.D. Jakes, they are supposed to be feeding the people and not themselves...

They could be a big part of the reason 60% of the population is still below the poverty line if they can afford private jets!

Ankhur

Oct 4, 2009
Brooklyn
Occupation
owner of various real estate concerns
peace

I think the problem is more with the pastors/clergymen, like T.D. Jakes, they are supposed to be feeding the people and not themselves...

They could be a big part of the reason 60% of the population is still below the poverty line if they can afford private jets!
Manifestation of Wisdom!!!!!!!!!!!

Why they fronting in the air while there is so much suffering on the ground

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Atlantic slavery left its mark not just in wealthy city centres, but among the rural poor too African American History Culture 0
Liberty Black Education / Schools : Meet the DeVos family — super-wealthy right-wingers working with the religious right to destroy publ Black Education / Schools 74
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Top 50 Ludicrously Wealthy Pastors Christian Study Group 0
jamesfrmphilly Black Spirituality Religion : should any spiritual leader b wealthy? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 54
Destee Black People : Can You Name Some Wealthy Black Nationalists? Black People Open Forum 1
Knowledge Seed Black People : What we really need: Wealthy Black Nationalists Black People Open Forum 89
Ankhur Black People : The Tax cuts benefit not just the Wealthy but their Corporations get a New Bail Out Black People Open Forum 0
Ankhur Black People : Welfare for the Wealthy Black People Open Forum 2
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : 700 Billion Is For The Wealthy Corporations. Chief Elder Osiris 0
Destee Black People : Blacks Born Rich / Wealthy ? Black People Open Forum 2
Isaiah Black People : WHAT OBLIGATIONS DO WEALTHY BLACKS HAVE TO THE BLACK COMMUNITY?? Black People Open Forum 18
KWABENA Black People : SEPARATING WEALTHY FROM PHILANTHROPIC Black People Open Forum 3
S Black Poetry : pondering wealthy trappings Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Nigeria : Who Likes President Trump? In Africa, Nigerians are Big Fans of the Donald Nigeria 2
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : Nigerians? Happy People yet so Stupid! and Gullible! Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
A Black Entertainment : Nigerians Are Quick To Claim Famous African Americans as Their Own Black Entertainment 58
S Nigeria : Nigerians have the highest level of education in the U.S. Nigeria 0
Amnat77 Nigeria : Nigerians angry at oil pollution double standards Nigeria 6
P Nigeria : Nigerians re-living the highlife Nigeria 0
K Nigeria : Nigerians Nigeria 34
P Nigeria : Nigerians wary of corruption crackdown Nigeria 0
P Nigeria : UK visa delay for young Nigerians Nigeria 10
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Lynching preachers: How black pastors resisted Jim Crow and white pastors incited racial violence Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Cashing In On Church: The Richest Mega Pastors in America Christian Study Group 2
Enki Black People Politics : Trump is using black pastors to mislead the black race. Black People Politics 8
Liberty Black People Politics : African-American pastors plan boycott of Emanuel MLK breakfast Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Black Pastors Tell Trump Their Meeting With him on Monday is Not an Endorsement Black People Politics 38
legit-writer Black Spirituality Religion : Pastors and Money Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 4
Therious Black People : Pastors Perform 7-11 Sit In For Treyvon M Black People Open Forum 1
chuck Black Spirituality Religion : Have You Forsook Your Faiths Or Are Your Pastors Etc. Failing You? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 9
RAPTOR Black People Politics : SOME BLACK PASTORS TELL FLOCK NOT TO VOTE Black People Politics 3
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Faith Eric Holder and IRS Administrators Due to Advise Hundreds of African-American Pastors on How t Black People Open Forum 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Black pastors bash NAACP for endorsing gay marriage Black People Politics 133
cherryblossom Black Christians : Women Pastors...(from Oceolo) Christian Study Group 27
Destee Black People : White Pastors Failing to Speak Against Racism Black People Open Forum 6
G Black Spirituality Religion : Documentary On 'False' Pastors is Out Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
G Black Spirituality Religion : From Church to a burning hell mega-churches, Million dollar pastors... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Black Pastors Meet In Secret Concerning Afrika!!! Chief Elder Osiris 2