Benin : Voodoo Day celebrated in Benin

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
Thousands of followers have gathered in Benin in the seaside town of Ouidah to celebrate National Voodoo Day. They met at a beach called the point of no return, where slaves left on ships for the Americas centuries ago, taking their religion with them.

Followers of the once-banned religion have been dancing, drumming, praying as animals are slaughtered in ceremonies.

Of Benin's seven million citizens, 65% believe in Voodoo. The day has been a national holiday for a decade.

Evil

"There is little resembling the popular western imagination on show - no dolls with pins stuck in them and certainly no zombie-like creatures lumbering around," described the BBC's James Copnall, who is at the festival.

"Instead there were speeches praising the religion, emphasising the positive impact it has on people's lives."

One of the many revellers who count their ancestors as slaves, Faith McDouglas, 37, a nurse from Nebraska in the US spoke of being, "very moved," explaining, "I've understood many things regarding my origins, because I'm a descendant of slaves."

Voodoo followers believe that all life is driven by spiritual forces of natural phenomena such as water, fire, earth and air and that these should be honoured through rituals like animal sacrifices.

Followers acknowledge the existence of both a supreme being and many smaller gods which can intercede with the supreme being on behalf of humans.

Martine De Sousa, a former curator of the Voodoo Museum in Benin and an expert on the religion rejects criticism of Voodoo from many Africans.

"People have a negative image of voodoo because of some of the bad practices, a sort of a witchcraft, where you can put a bad spell on someone when you are jealous of that person."

Adding that, "That [bad practice] is totally different from Voodoo."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4599392.stm

Dual Karnayn

Nov 5, 2005
I didn't know Voodoo was banned in any African countries.

Was this because of colonialism or something?

I knew most slaves were forbidden from practicing their traditional beliefs, but I didn't think it extended to African nations.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DjajiPrime Benin : History and Culture of Benin Republic (Home of VooDoo) Benin 3
RAPTOR Black People : Fayetteville man with Voodoo beads again clashes with judge Black People Open Forum 0
CosmicMessenger Audio Video Web Conferencing : Jimi Hendrix Experience - Voodoo Child (Slight Return) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
CosmicMessenger Audio Video Web Conferencing : Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Keino Audio Video Web Conferencing : JAY ELECTRONICA - VOODOO MAN Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
legit-writer Black Spirituality Religion : Believing in VooDoo Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 39
Ankhur Black Spirituality Religion : Presentation on Voodoo, on Haert of Mind now on WBAI Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
H Black People : The Ugly Union Of VooDoo And Prostituion Black People Open Forum 12
Ankhur Black Women : Erikah Badu; dropping Science at the Voodoo festival, New Orleans 2008 Black Women 7
P Black Spirituality Religion : Obama reacts to Voodoo in the White House Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 12
S Black Spirituality Religion : Voodoo Seasons Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 7
A Benin : Benin's Voodoo Children Benin 31
T Black Spirituality Religion : Meet the Pharaoh on Voodoo Science Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
D Black People : Blaming 'voodoo' for throwing child down flight of stairs Black People Open Forum 5
Queenie Black People : White American Scientists Search for Secrets of Voodoo Medicine Black People Open Forum 2
T Black Poetry : My Mind Possess Voodoo 4 Jackasses & Roodipoo's Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 15
P Black Spirituality Religion : Voodoo Priestess Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 5
C Black Spirituality Religion : The voodoo theory of women cooking spaghetti for men Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 63
Isaiah African American History Culture : EWE SLAVES AND VOODOO IN AMERICA African American History Culture 11
MzBlkAngel Poetry Critiques : Sweet VooDoo Child (2) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
MzBlkAngel Black Poetry : Voodoo Child...Vision Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
MzBlkAngel Black Poetry : Sweet Voodoo Child pt 2 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 14
MzBlkAngel Black Poetry : Sweet Voodoo Child Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 17
D Black Poetry : ~*VOODOO CHYLDE*~ Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
B Black Poetry : Madness of the Voodoo Queen Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
P Black Spirituality Religion : Can someone tell me about Voodoo? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 10
I Black Poetry : Voodoo Chile Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Mary J. Blige Celebrated Her 48th Birthday With A Bikini Picture Black Entertainment 0
Chevron Dove Black Christians : MAJOR NEW MOON OCTOBER HOLIDAY CELEBRATED in the US & WHITE HOUSE~ Saturnalia Christian Study Group 1
Kemetstry Black Positive People : NASA MATHEMATICIAN CELEBRATED Black People Doing Positive Things 2
Liberty African American History Culture : African-American festival of Kwanzaa celebrated with 2 parades African American History Culture 14
Black Phoenix South Africa : Black Excellence: Phenomenal African Women Celebrated in Posters for South Africa’s National Women’s South Africa 0
Destee Black People : THANKSGIVING - How Would You Feel If Native Americans Celebrated Slavery? Black People Open Forum 43
Perfection Benin : In Context Series: Images of the Queen Mother in Benin Court Art Benin 2
Amnat77 Benin : Benin women explain their kingdoms role in the slave trade Benin 9
naija-man Benin : Oba of Benin:& the captured city Benin 0
G Benin : Title: Journey to the Motherland: From San Francisco to Benin City Benin 0
Sekhemu Benin : Cosmology of Ancient Benin Benin 5
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Benin's dark past of slavery Chief Elder Osiris 7
P Benin : Benin Soccer Star, Yessouffo 'Campos' Samiou, killed in attack! Benin 3
A Benin : BENIN ASKS FORGIVENESS IN SLAVE TRADE... Benin 22