African Traditional Religion : Vodun: The Seven African Powers

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Reaction score
The Global Early Religion of the Global Early Civilization was probably similar to IFA, the indigenous religion of Africa, the place of origin of Humanity. Most likely, ALL Human Religions evolved from IFA, sometimes introducing special characteristics based on Local/Regional cultures after the breakup of the Global Early Civilization.
IFA, whose divination system seems to be based on the same 256-dimensional Clifford Algebra Cl(1,7) as the D4-D5-E6-E7-E8 VoDou Physics Model, is probably not only the source of all Human Religions, but also divination systems such as I Ching (64-dimensional), Tarot (78-dimenisonal), etc., and the abstract structures of the Natural Physical World such as Elementary Particle Physics, Quantum Consciousness, Cosmology, etc.
Here is an Introduction to VoDou Physics.

http://www.tony5m17h.net/VodouFA.html
FA, the god with 16 eyes,
brought a system of learning to the people of the Cradle of Civilization based on the 2^4 = 16 Tetragrams or Quadruples of sets containing either 1 or 2 elements (such as nuts, shells, beans, calabash, metal (brass, copper, aluminum, silver, lead, iron, etc.), wood, ivory, pangolin or crocodile scales, fish or turtle bones or shells, etc.).

The Orisha FA is also known as IFA, as Orunmila, and as Orunla. The system of learning was brought to Humans by the messenger Orisha known as Legba and as Eshu.

Another Orisha, Ogun, brought technology such as iron and steel to Humans to help them improve their society, When Ogun saw that Humans used the technology for war and oppression, Ogun withdrew from contact with Humans and Human society stagnated.

The Original God Oludumare, also known as Olurun, did not like that and sent other Orishas to convince Ogun to resume contact with Humans. Many Orishas failed, but the beautiful Oshun, the Orisha of Rivers, persuaded Ogun resumed contact with Humans.

Oshun really loved Chango, the Orisha of Fire, Thunder, and Lightning, but Chango married Oya, the Orisha of Winds. Ogun married Oshun's sister Yemaya, the Orisha of the Sea.

There is a lot more to the relationships among these Orishas, and there are other Orishas.

Here is the traditional Yoruba sequence of Tetragrams, in which:
  • the greenfour corrspond to East, Light, Fire, Yang;
  • the bluefour correspond to West, Dark, Water, Yin;
  • the black four correspond to North, Heaven, Yang;
  • the red four correspond to South, Earth, Yin.
Note that in divination practice, 1 nut = 2 marks = odd = binary 1 and 2 nuts = 1 mark = even = binary 0, a practice that not only looks "right" from the point of view of pure mathematics, but came about because FA (knowing that Legba liked to do the opposite of what he was told) put one palm nut in Legba's hand when FA wanted Legba to open two of FA's eyes, and put two palm nuts in Legba's hand when FA wanted Legba to open one of FA's eyes.
1 2 3 4

o oo oo o
o oo o oo
o oo o oo
o oo oo o

6 7 8

o oo o oo
o oo oo oo
oo o oo oo
oo o oo o

10 11 12
o oo oo oo
o o o oo
o o oo o
oo o oo oo

14 15 16
o o o oo
oo o oo o
o oo o oo
o o oo o

Here are the 16 Tetragrams in a binary number sequence:

o
o
o
o

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

o o o o o o o
o o o oo oo oo oo
o oo oo o o oo oo
oo o oo o oo o oo

8 9 10 11 12 13 14

oo oo oo oo oo oo oo
o o o o oo oo oo
o o oo oo o o oo
o oo o oo o oo o

oo
oo
oo
oo

The 16x16 pairs of the 16 Tetragrams form 256Odu.
Since 256 = 2^8, each of the 256 Odu can be represented by an Octagram.
The Opele chain with 8 two-sided medallions represents the 256 Octagrams and the 256 Odu.
If each of the 256 is represented by a small square in a 16x16 matrix of squares,
a given Opele sequence, where + = oo and - = o,
| +/- | +/- | +/- | +/- | +/- | +/- | +/- | +/- |
corresponds to a given Odu small square as follows:
If the 1st Opele element is +, go to the red diagonal set of 128 small squares;
If the 1st Opele element is -, go to the blue off-diagonal set of 128 small squares;
If the 2nd Opele element is +, go to the dark upper 64 small squares of the 128;
If the 2nd Opele element is -, go the the light lower 64 small squares of the 128;
Then use the 3rd and 4th Opele elements similarly to get down to 16 small squares;
Then use the 5th and 6th Opele elements similarly to get down to 4 small squares; and
Finally, use the 7th and 8th Opele elements similarly to get down to the 1 small square Odu that corresponds to the given Opele sequence of 8 +/- elements.The 256 Octagram Odu represent the Wisdom of FA.

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Reaction score
The Wisdom of FA is the Original Wisdom of the Cradle of Human Civilization that included the Global Early Civilization of the Abyssinian Highlanders of the African Nile Region .
The People of the Cradle of Civilization included people who are now known as the Fon people of Benin (Dahomey), in whose language it is called FA; the Yoruba and Benin Edo of Nigeria, in whose language it is called IFA; and the Ewe of Togo, in whose language it is called AFA. IFA is the oracle god who directed creation, formed the universe, formed the Earth, taught humans about divination, medicine, and language. From the Cradle of Civilization it spread to:
  • the Arabs of North Africa, who called the process Ilm al Raml (Science of Sand) or Khatt al Raml (Lines in Sand) and who identified FA with the Islamic Prophet Idris;
  • the Malagasy people of Madagascar, whose version of the process is called Sikidy;
  • the African people of the USA, West Indies, and South America, where the process is related to Vodou. The word "Vodou," meaning "sacred," was borrowed into Haitian Creole from the Fon language of West Africa, according to an earlier version of one of the web pages of the UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural History. According to another UCLA Fowler web page, it seems that present-day Haitians use the term IWA.
  • Another possible indicator that present-day African people may have received the wisdom tradition of the Global Early Civilization of the Abyssinian Highlanders of the African Nile Region is the knowledge of the Dogon people of East Africa that the star Sirius has a binary star companion, Sirius B; that the orbital period of Sirius B is 50 years; and that Sirius B, a white dwarf star, is small and dense, much more dense than iron. The first European to observe that Sirius was a binary star was Bessel in 1844, who saw that Sirius was an astrometric binary (compare the astrometric multiple star Mizar B) because of the wobble of its apparent path through the night sky. In 1862, Clark telescopically resolved the Sirius binary star system. According to Robert Temple's 1997 book The Sirius Mystery, Second Edition, Chapter I, The Sirius Mystery Today, as quoted on a website of Michael Bara and Richard Hoagland: "... in 1976 .... the Dogon tribal tradition insisted upon the existence of a third star in the system of Sirius which modern astronomers could not confirm. Some critics said this proved the hypothesis of the book to be false. ... In1976 and in the years immediately following I predicted on numerous occasions that the existence of a small red dwarf star would be verified in the Sirius system, to be called Sirius C according to the standard naming schemes of astronomy (there already being an A and a B). This has now happened. In 1995 the French astronomers Daniel Benest and J. L. Duvent published the results of years of study in the journal Astronomy and Astrophysics stating that a small red dwarf star, Sirius C, seems to exist in the system of the star Sirius.2 They have detected a perturbation which cannot be explained by any other means. ...".
  • The Dogon also know that Saturn has rings; that beyond Saturn is the interstellar space of the Milky Way, which is made up of stars more distant than the immediate solar neighborhood; and that Jupiterhas 4 major moons and orbits the Sun much slower than Venus. As the Maya also knew, the synodic period of Venus is about 584 days. Since 584 = 512 + 72 = 256 + 256 + 64 + 8 = 256 x (2 + 1/4 + 1/32) = 256 x 2 x (1 + 1/8 + 1/64) = 8 x 73 = 64 x (8 + 1 + 1/8), the IFA number 256 and related numbers such as 64, 8, etc., could be useful for astronomical and divinatory calculations.
  • Still another indicator that Africa might be the source of most human traditional belief systems is the occurrence among the Lemba People, not only of customs related to Judaism, but also the genetic marker known as the Kohen Gene, which has been traced back by genetic dating techniques to a divergence from Middle Eastern Jewish populations around 3,000 years ago, which is around the time of the exodus from Egypt, the lifetime of Aharon HaCohen. FreeRepublic.com has a web page discussing the genetic tests of the Lemba People.
One way to follow the history of IFA is to look at the sequence of the 16 Tetragrams. The traditional Yoruba sequence shown above corresponds to the following 16 Odu:.......

http://www.tony5m17h.net/VodouFA.html
One way to follow the history of IFA is to look at the sequence of the 16 Tetragrams. The traditional Yoruba sequence shown above corresponds to the following 16 Odu:
0 Ogbe - light - birth of Orunmila (wisdom)
15 Oyeku - dark - Oludumare's Earthly creations
9 Iwori - ask diviner for advice
6 Edi - watch out for obstacles
12 Irosun - crouch and wait and plan
3 Owonrin - weather storms
14 Obara - cooperate (each hand washes the other)
7 Okanran - follow plans
8 Ogunda - Ogun - use technology wisely
1 Osa - overcome fear
13 Ika - you reap what you sow
11 Oturopon - raise children well
2 Otura - govern wisely
4 Irete - if you refuse to sacrifice something,
you may lose it anyway
10 Ose - truth protects good and destroys evil
5 Ofun - Oludumare creates Earth, the 16 Odu,
the Orishas, and humans​
The number before each Odu is the binary number corresponding to the pattern of that Odu. The descriptions of each Odu are not at all complete, they are just some characteristic ideas that it is sometimes useful to associate with each Odu. Each Odu has other very important aspects that are not described here, as you can see, for example, by clicking on the links at Ogbe, Edi, and Irosun, which links describe some other aspects of those Odu.

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Reaction score
"The system of learning was brought to Humans by the messenger Orisha known as Legba and as Eshu."

In Haitian Vodou, Papa Legba is the intermediary between the loa and humanity. He stands at a spiritual crossroads and gives (or denies) permission to speak with the spirits of Guinee, and is believed to speak all human languages. He is always the first and last spirit invoked in any ceremony, because his permission is needed for any communication between mortals and the loa - he opens and closes the doorway[1]. In Haiti, he is the great elocution, the voice of God, as it were. Legba facilitates communication, speech and understanding. In the Yoruba pantheon, honored in Nigeria, Cuba, Brazil, and elsewhere in the Yoruba diaspora, Ellegua is mostly associated with Papa Legba since both share the role of being the god of the crossroads. In contrast to Papa Legba, however, Eleggua is a trickster child. Legba also shares similarities to Orunmila, the orisha of prophesy who taught mankind how to use the mighty oracle Ifá. He usually appears as an old man on a crutch or with a cane, wearing a broad brimmed straw hat and smoking a pipe, or sprinkling water. The dog is sacred of him. Because of his position as 'gate-keeper' between the worlds of the living and the mysteries he is often identified with Saint Peter who holds a comparable position in Catholic tradition. He is also depicted in Haiti as St. Lazarus,[2] and St. Anthony. [3]
In Benin and Nigeria, Legba is viewed as young and virile, is often horned and phallic, and his shrine is usually located at the gate of the village in the countryside.
Alternative: Legba, Legba Atibon, Atibon Legba, Ati-Gbon Legba.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papa_Legba

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Reaction score
In New World Vodou, the spirits (or lwa) with whom believers interact are divided into three main families, Rada, Petro, and Ghede. Lwa can be viewed as forces of nature, but they also have personalities and personal mythologies. They are extensions of the will of Bondye, the ultimate priciple of the universe.
Rada Loa

Rada lwa have their roots in Africa. These were spirits or deities honored by slaves who were brought to the New World and became the major spirits within the new religion synthesized there. Rada lwa are generally benevolent and creative, and are associated with the color white.

Rada lwa are often considered to also have Petro aspects, which are harsher and more aggressive than their Rada counterparts. Some sources describe these different personalities as aspects, while others depict them as separate beings.
Petro Lwa

Petro (or Petwo) lwa originate in the New World, specifically in what is now Haiti. As such, they do not appear in African Vodou practices. They are associated with the color red.

Petro lwa tend to be more aggressive and are more often associated with darker subjects and practices. To divide up the Rada and Petro lwa in terms of good and evil, however, would be highly misrepresentating, and rituals dedicated toward assistance or harm of another can involve lwas of either family.
Ghede Lwa

Ghede lwa are associated with the dead and also with carnality. They transport dead souls, behave irreverently, make obscene jokes and perform dances that mimic sexual intercourse. They celebrate life in the midst of death. Their color is black.

http://altreligion.about.com/od/mythologicalfigures/a/loa.htm

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Reaction score
There are many families or "nanchons" (nations) of Loa - Rada (also Radha), Petro (also Pethro, Petwo), Nago, Kongo and Ghede (also Guede, or Gede) to name but a few.
Rada Loa

The Rada Loa are generally the older, more beneficent spirits, and are associated with the gods of Africa. They include Legba, Loko, Ayizan, Anaisa Pye, Dhamballah Wedo and Ayida-Weddo, Erzulie Freda, La Sirène, and Agwe. Their traditional colour is white (as opposed to the specific colours of individual Loa).
Petro Loa

The Petro Loa are generally the more fiery, occasionally aggressive and warlike Loa, and are associated with Haiti and the New World. They include Ezili Dantor, Marinette, and Met Kalfu (Maitre Carrefour, "Master Crossroads"). Their traditional colour is red.
Kongo Loa

Originating from the Congo region of Africa, these spirits include the many Simbi loa, it also includes the much dreaded Marinette, a fierce and much feared female loa.
Nago

Originating from Nigeria (specifically the Yoruba speaking tribes) this nanchon includes many of the Ogoun spirits.
Ghede Loa

The Ghede are the spirits of the dead. They are traditionally led by the Barons (La Croix, Samedi, Cimitière, Kriminel), and Maman Brigitte. The Ghede as a family are loud, rude (although rarely to the point of real insult), sexual, and usually a lot of fun. As those who have lived already, they have nothing to fear, and frequently will display how far past consequence and feeling they are when they come through in a service - eating glass, raw chillis, and anointing their sensitive areas with chilli rum for example. Their traditional colours are black and purple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loa

bingiedred

Reaction score
Yes, I have done so before, as suggested to me once by brother Sekhemu, but I cannot do so in my present living situation. However, there is a small section in my Aunt's garden where I go to meditate and study. This is the best that I can do for now.

Peace!
Wow, I'm in a similar predicament right now since I've been traveling back and forth between the US and Africa, I haven't had the stability to set up my shrine once I left my apt. in NY. All I know is, it feels like a piece of me is missing since I haven't had it set up. I don't get the deep dreams or the visions as frequently as I used to anymore. Dang, I miss my shrine,....I can't wait to get it set up again...:(

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Reaction score
Ezili Dantor or Erzulie D'en Tort (also spelled Erzulie with Danto or Danthor) is the Petro nation aspect of the Erzulie family of lwa, or spirits in Haitian Vodou. Ezili Dantor is considered to be the lwa of motherhood, single motherhood in particular. She is most commonly represented by the image of Black Madonna of Częstochowa whose origins are believed to be in copies of the icon of the Black Madonna of Częstochowa, brought to Haiti by Polish soldiers fighting on both sides of the Haitian Revolution from 1802 onwards.[1] Other depictions of Ezili Dantor include the Black Madonna, as well as Our Lady of Lourdes and Our Lady of Mount Carmel.
Ezili Dantor is associated with the black creole pig of Haiti, her favorite animal sacrifice, and the colors gold and blue, sometimes green and also red to signify that she is a Petro lwa.
Her favorite offerings include: a fried pork dish known as griot, creme de cacao, rum, Florida Water perfume, and strong unfiltered cigarettes.

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Reaction score
Wow, I'm in a similar predicament right now since I've been traveling back and forth between the US and Africa, I haven't had the stability to set up my shrine once I left my apt. in NY. All I know is, it feels like a piece of me is missing since I haven't had it set up. I don't get the deep dreams or the visions as frequently as I used to anymore. Dang, I miss my shrine,....I can't wait to get it set up again...:(
Goodspeed on re-establishing that stability. Most definitely a piece of you is missing and hopefully you will be able to re-store that balance. Myself, I have been struggling on that front for almost 4 years now. I am just now inner-standing more thoroughly my situation. I alluded to this in an older thread with the statement, "Its the Erzulies. I started to realize this while in ATL and now that Im back home in Kali...well... the name speaks for itself."

http://destee.com/index.php?threads/sex-with-demons-are-incubus-and-succubus-real.52870/

In my present situation it is difficult to meditate, and forget about divination.

However, my dreams have started coming back with more frequency, without the dream paralysis. My inner-standing of IFA is also greater than before, but my health (physical) has suffered because of an inability to do any consistent (virtually none outside of specific dietary paractice) "rootwork".

If you are following my last few posts, I guess that explains why I finally mentioned the Lwa, specifically "Dantor".

Peace!

bingiedred

Reaction score
Goodspeed on re-establishing that stability. Most definitely a piece of you is missing and hopefully you will be able to re-store that balance. Myself, I have been struggling on that front for almost 4 years now. I am just now inner-standing more thoroughly my situation. I alluded to this in an older thread with the statement, "Its the Erzulies. I started to realize this while in ATL and now that Im back home in Kali...well... the name speaks for itself."

http://destee.com/index.php?threads/sex-with-demons-are-incubus-and-succubus-real.52870/

In my present situation it is difficult to meditate, and forget about divination.

However, my dreams have started coming back with more frequency, without the dream paralysis. My inner-standing of IFA is also greater than before, but my health (physical) has suffered because of an inability to do any consistent (virtually none outside of specific dietary paractice) "rootwork".

If you are following my last few posts, I guess that explains why I finally mentioned the Lwa, specifically "Dantor".

Peace!
Can you elaborate on the line I bolded about your health? What kind of "rootwork" and why would your health suffer because you are unable to do it? If you can elaborate....

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Reaction score

Peace!