Black Entertainment : Understanding "Beale Street", from Baldwin's political view

Please Donate

I need your help. destee.com will be 25 years old in October and I don't know that we'll make it. It is hard to keep us alive right now. Our costs have only increased over the years. We have all put our love into this community, but love is not enough to keep the lights on. destee.com needs your financial help too. We are the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world. Please help us remain. Click the Donate button below or CashApp $8664destee - Thank you.

Ndugu

REGISTERED MEMBER
Nov 18, 2016
Though a good friend of Malcolm, James Baldwin had a strong aversion towards the Yacub Theory, and the "Oroginal Man concepts of the Nation of Islam and hence the Street Culture of Harlem of the 60s through 80s, the Nation of Gods and Earths.
From his viewpont, and opinion he saw , that concept and paradigm as an ideology of Black Supremacy, which he saw , just as wicked and just as dangerous ans White Supremacy, and that was his view , and he should not be judged or hated by it !
The bitter irony is that , when the book came out , "If Beal Street could Talk" no one talked about it basically most of us never heard of it ! and the reason of the irony is that it was the NOGE street culture, that promoted Black youth from the 60s to the 80s to rad all Black literature fiction and mostly non fiction as well as books on Black philosophy and Political focus !
Everyone read "Daddy Was a Numbers Runner" , "The Spook Who Sat By the Door" "The Autobiography of Malcolm X", "Manchild in the Promised Land", "Native Son" , Invisible Man, and of course Baldwin's most famous book "Go Tell it on the Mountain", but when it came to "The Fire Next Time" many where shocked , when he revealed his views regarding the Black first ideologies of the Nation of Islam and Nation of Gods and Earths!
So the movie in fact , bears no resemblance whatsoever to the culture of the time , other then the clothing! You see Harlem , regardless of the ills that still plagued the community of heroin, and the recession of the 70s, had a cultural vibration of Black pride and Black Power still resonate within most men and women in the community those who were active or not !
View the movie in this context, that it was a work of fiction, written by a brother who was living in France since 1970, and had distanced himself both physically and ideologically!
bookstore-300x199.jpg
, from the realities of the dominant Culture in the community, in 74! ( Michaux Bookstore, 1973)

Ndugu

REGISTERED MEMBER
Nov 18, 2016
when you say you were in the trenches of Harlem what years was that, and as someone familiar with Malcolm , I am sure you are aware that both the Black Panther Party , and the 5% culture stemmed from his influence on the Harlem community youth?? the BBP was created in 66, the book was written in 74, the period the movie takes place, and a time when the NOGE street culture was viral

Ndugu

REGISTERED MEMBER
Nov 18, 2016
But surely you saw the impact that the 5% street culture had on the youth?? sure s someone around my age you know things didnt look pretty, and folks were poor and heroin was ravaging Harlem, but you cannot deny the fact, that the 5% had ended the gang killings in Harlem and Brooklyn (Bronx was another story, nd still is ) Even Djoruba Bin Wahad, and Professor Smalls could tell you today 1/31/2019, the impact that the street culture had on a Black first mindset among the youth ! fact the NOGE, was something taken from the NOI, but was not the NOI! Clarence 13X took the 120 Lessons into the streets , like Prometheus bringing light from the gods to those in darkness! And from what I saw in Brooklyn the youth , were better for it , better then what we saw in Brooklyn in the 90s , with all the youth drug dealing and gang killings ! My point was Baldwin totaly leaves that culture our of the book and as well the movie leaves that out as well! Yes there was a environment of apathy, but did you see that apathy in the youth you spoke to???

Latest profile posts

2022 Has started and I hope everyone is having a safe and protected journey as we navigate this game of life
during this pandemic. We are not easily defeated so protect your momentum at all times. One Love.
Kemetstry wrote on Cindy's profile.
Why are you following me?
Destee wrote on Jahari Kavi's profile.
Hi Brother @Jahari Kavi ... Welcome Home! Good to see you! YAAAAAY Us! :love:
Destee wrote on Orisons's profile.
Hi Brother @Orisons ... good to see you in the house, stay safe always please :heart:
Destee wrote on Ms Drea's profile.
Hi My Dear Darling Sister! :kiss: :love: :kiss: