Nigeria : UK visa delay for young Nigerians

panafrica

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
10,227
191
The Diaspora
Britain has imposed a ban on entry visas for young Nigerians aged between 18 and 30 who intend to visit the UK for the first time.
The British High Commission in Nigeria says it cannot deal with the high number of visa applications, which have nearly doubled in the last two years.

The temporary ban will remain in force until next year, while the office is reorganised to improve visa service.

But an official at the Nigerian presidency said it was "very unfair".

"We enjoy a close relationship with the United Kingdom," said Femi Fani-Kayode, special assistant to the Nigerian president on public affairs

"I don't think this is the way to strengthen ties between the two countries."

Forged documents

The visa refusal rate is particularly high in Nigeria, where about 80% of applications from young people are turned down.

Some are rejected because they have forged documents, says the BBC's Anna Borzello in Lagos.

The UK Foreign Office said it will improve the service offered to applicants.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4425079.stm
 

AHMOSE

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Feb 6, 2005
877
9
Educating the Diaspora
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
This really makes you think. What are the british leaders thinking? It seems to me that they affraid that these Nigerian brothers are going to come in and take over. All they seek is refuge and a chance to be free...
 

panafrica

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
10,227
191
The Diaspora
The difference between our country & the UK is that the UK knows these Nigerians aren't coming over to cut the grass and clean the dishes!
 

havilandks

Banned
MEMBER
Mar 7, 2005
44
2
Think this is where part of the problem comes in

Godssoulja said:
This really makes you think. What are the british leaders thinking? It seems to me that they affraid that these Nigerian brothers are going to come in and take over. All they seek is refuge and a chance to be free...

Those studying in the UK, or members of Business Express - a scheme for large companies with strong UK links - will not be affected.

And first-time visitors who are married to someone with proof they have travelled to Britain in the last five years can also still apply.

Cases will also be considered in a "genuine emergency or on urgent compassionate grounds", the Foreign Office said.

The British High Commission in the Nigerian capital, Abuja, and the Deputy High Commission in Lagos deal with 23,000 visa applications a month.

The spokeswoman said the Foreign Office did not want to stop all applications and welcomed Nigerians to the UK.


All sounds good so far right:


"First-time visitors, particularly within that age group [18 to 30], are particularly time-consuming, each has to be interviewed and obviously an intention to return has to be verified."

They are not applying to immigrate! they are applying to visit, and then stay. Same problem here with lots of other nations, they come for school, vacation, etc, then just don't leave. Maybe they should be applying for residency visa's,



Demand for visas has risen by a third in the last five years to reach roughly two million a year.

"The Public Accounts Committee found recently that one in five posts could no longer cope with daily demand for visas."
 

indya

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Aug 4, 2004
608
22
panafrica said:
The difference between our country & the UK is that the UK knows these Nigerians aren't coming over to cut the grass and clean the dishes!
Pan you wrote this on another post, isn't this a reason why the UK may be scrutinizing Nigerian visitors more??

Nigerians have a reputation for fraud & corruption worldwide. In America they are famous for email & banking scams. They are notorious for similar scams in Europe. Even the Africans I know caution people about doing business with Nigerians, They have unfortunately earned a reputation for not being trustworthy. That does need to be addressed.
__________________
 

panafrica

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
10,227
191
The Diaspora
indya said:
Pan you wrote this on another post, isn't this a reason why the UK may be scrutinizing Nigerian visitors more??
Maybe…maybe not…white people don’t really need logical reasons to deny one immigrant group while accepting another. An example of this would be the US policy regarding Haitians & Cubans….Africans & Mexicans!
 

havilandks

Banned
MEMBER
Mar 7, 2005
44
2
Not a great example

panafrica said:
Maybe…maybe not…white people don’t really need logical reasons to deny one immigrant group while accepting another. An example of this would be the US policy regarding Haitians & Cubans….Africans & Mexicans!
Very few countries are allowing Haitians, This includeds the Bahamas, Turks/Calico's. Read this somewhere will look for the link later and post, but its not only the US. Canada is also not accepting them and easily as they used to. http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGAMR360112004
Where as the rule with Cubans is once they hit land they can stay, 1 foot in water they are shipped back. This was mainly due to the political power in FL.
Haitians were allowed to stay prior to Aristead being put back into office in 98?. after that they were returned as they were nolonger classed as a repressive regime.
 

panafrica

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
10,227
191
The Diaspora
havilandks said:
Very few countries are allowing Haitians, This includeds the Bahamas, Turks/Calico's. Read this somewhere will look for the link later and post, but its not only the US. Canada is also not accepting them and easily as they used to. Where as the rule with Cubans is once they hit land they can stay, 1 foot in water they are shipped back. This was mainly due to the political power in FL. Haitians were allowed to stay prior to Aristead being put back into office in 98?. after that they were returned as they were nolonger classed as a repressive regime.
This is not a good example only to those who do not know their history. The reasons why Cubans are allowed to remain in the US is because they are "deemed" to be fleeing political & religious repression. Haitians are not allowed to stay because they are "deemed" to be fleeing poverty. If you ask any Cuban why they left the country in today's time (not after Batista was overthrown in the late 1950s), they will tell you because there is not enough food to eat. In other words, they are fleeing poverty, like Haitians are!

Your belief that Haitians were allowed to stay prior to Aristead being put back into office in 1998 is completely false! The Reagan Administration in the 1980s was notorious for refusing Haitian immigrants asylum. During the Bush & Clinton administrations Haitians were sent to neighboring countries (Belize, Trinidad, Honduras, and Venezuela instead of being granted asylum in the US. Your account is not historically accurate, and there is still no logical reason why a difference was made between them & Cubans. By the way the article you provided a link for doesn't disprove anything I stated.
 

havilandks

Banned
MEMBER
Mar 7, 2005
44
2
So sorry you did not agree but it do follow history

panafrica said:
This is not a good example only to those who do not know their history. The reasons why Cubans are allowed to remain in the US is because they are "deemed" to be fleeing political & religious repression. Haitians are not allowed to stay because they are "deemed" to be fleeing poverty. If you ask any Cuban why they left the country in today's time (not after Batista was overthrown in the late 1950s), they will tell you because there is not enough food to eat. In other words, they are fleeing poverty, like Haitians are!

Your belief that Haitians were allowed to stay prior to Aristead being put back into office in 1998 is completely false! The Reagan Administration in the 1980s was notorious for refusing Haitian immigrants asylum. During the Bush & Clinton administrations Haitians were sent to neighboring countries (Belize, Trinidad, Honduras, and Venezuela instead of being granted asylum in the US. Your account is not historically accurate, and there is still no logical reason why a difference was made between them & Cubans. By the way the article you provided a link for doesn't disprove anything I stated.

strip from the article

"It is particularly worrying that while the number of people fleeing the country is increasing, governments persist in taking stronger measures in order to prevent them from reaching other countries, leaving hundreds of Haitians without access to any form of human rights protection", Amnesty International stressed.

At least one group of Haitians claiming to be fleeing persecution by Haitian government authorities was yesterday denied entry to the Dominican Republic. They reportedly were forced to go into hiding this morning when the border area where they were waiting was attacked by armed rebels. Their whereabouts are currently unknown. Another group of 12 Haitians, all of whom had reportedly requested asylum, were returned to Port-au-Prince earlier this week from the Bahamas.

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees and other sources reported that around 30 Haitian asylum-seekers have arrived in Cuba, 103 in Jamaica, 300 in the Bahamas and up to 300 in the Dominican Republic.

The Bahamas have also stationed troops off its southern islands and has said it would return asylum seekers intercepted at sea.

Meanwhile, more than 500 Haitians who have been intercepted at sea this week are reportedly being held on US coast guard ships.

May not disprove you, but it does back what I said up. And prior to Aristead they were allowed to stay until their case had been evaluated not just sent back. After they got on land, if intercepted at sea they went home or go Guantanamo Bay for evaulation. Sorry that you don't agree with what I posted but the view point is correct, and it is not my belief, just quoting what I read.

Do you always have a problem with counter points? having lived long enough to have seen this develop, seen it not just read about it.

Will not debate the point about the cubans, but the orginial idea was they were escaping a repressive communist gov. not poverty, and accordng to law thats still the way it is.

Cuba should never have been put on embargo, my belief also.

I just stated to begin with that we are not the only country that bars haitians immigration.

another link http://www.crf-usa.org/bria/bria10_2.html please read in total.

This is probably a waste of both of our time. Needs moved to another thread anyway as it's off subject
 

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

It's okay to admire otherz, but first, love self. ELEVATE your self-image by having a healthy love & respect for yourself. ✍
1619+400=2019 Jamestown Virginia...end of slavery. (Yes modern miseducation and injustices count as slavery) But no proper reparations will be given since the amount of contributions beyond humanity transcends generations. Our people have history that is equal to trillions of dollars including Melanin research and its supernatural power.
I want my people to be aware of this dilemma regarding the upcoming election... I know politics. Yes Trump is admitting the truth about Black People building this so called country corporation (The United States). But you must understand that what they're planning on doing is to divide and conquer. This is all just for him to get re-elected. He's going to promise reparations and reneg at the last minute.
Ifypedro334 wrote on Jasica Adam's profile.
The best gift to give a baby boy is ??
Lon
Trying to find my way around on this forum. It's not User Friendly
Top