Email This Page

Print This Page

Visit The Publisher's Site

The Monitor (Kampala)

April 29, 2005
Posted to the web April 28, 2005

Hussein Bogere
Kampala

The British government has withheld about Shs17 billion in aid to Uganda since last month citing concerns about the handling of several aspects of the country's political transition.

A statement from the British High Commission says Britain was also particularly unhappy with the progress made towards establishing a level playing field for parties in the country.

"When our last release of the budget support fell due in March we were concerned by several aspects of the transition, including that insufficient progress had been made towards establishing a fair basis for a multi-party system. We withheld 5 million pounds," the statement signed by Mr Nikesh Mehta, the 2nd Secretary External Political at the British High Commission, Kampala says.

Mehta's statement was in response to calls by the opposition Forum for Democratic Change for donors to freeze aid to Uganda.

FDC was prompted to write to the diplomatic community asking for a freeze on aid after the arrest of two MPs Reagan Okumu and Michael Ocula, a week ago. The two were arrested and charged with the murder of Alfred Bongomin, the LC 3 council chairman of Pabbo sub-county in Gulu in February 2002.

When The Monitor probed further this week about the British government's stand

on the FDC request, Mr Mehta said further that the next tranche of aid due in September will also be subject to an assessment.

"Britain provides budget support that is linked to government performance in implementing the Poverty Eradication Action Plan (PEAP), including governance issues.

The next tranche falls in September when there will be an assessment of performance against an agreed set of indicators (derived from the PEAP) that cover the process of political transition alongside macro-economic and sector policy," the statement said.

After writing, FDC met several officials from several embassies including Denmark, Norway, US, the European Union, Britain, Ireland, among others last Friday.

In their letter FDC requested for a temporary suspension of foreign aid to prove to President Museveni that democracy is the only option and that terror will not be tolerated.

FDC's spokesman Mr Wafula Oguttu told The Monitor last Monday that the diplomatic community was hesitant to freeze aid to Uganda abruptly because it had a moral obligation towards the people of Uganda.

He said donors pledged to cut aid to a bare minimum in the next budget. The donors contribute more than 52% to Uganda's budget. As the former colonial power with the longest association with Kampala, Britain's actions towards Uganda tends to guide other donors in assessing their relationship with the country.

The donors have increasingly come out to criticise several aspects of the transition including the proposed constitutional amendments especially about lifting of presidential term limits to allow a third term for President Yoweri Museveni. They have also criticised the need for a referendum, which would cost about Shs 30 billion yet both sides, the government and the opposition, are going to campaign for the same thing - allowing multipartyism.

Relevant Links

East Africa
Legal and Judicial Affairs
Aid and Assistance
Uganda
Europe and Africa

The president has on several occasions shot back at the donors' interest in the country's politics. Museveni at one time told a donors meeting in Kampala on May 16 2001 that he would not entertain them meddling into his government affairs.

He warned that Africa is witnessing conflict, but could unite and fight [donors] "like we fought" the colonialists. "I don't know why you want to recreate all this tension all the time. So much of this arrogance, I find very annoying. It should not be there. I advise you against it," Museveni warned, adding that he could afford to reject donor handouts.

panafrica

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
10,227
193
The Diaspora
And they say colonialism is over! The only way Africa will truly be independant is for them to free themselves from foreign aid.

pdiane

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Jul 1, 2003
519
20
So true Pan, that is the next step, and the devils are fighting Africans all the way. May God and the Ancestors bless these African leaders to see the light.

Perfection Uganda : In Context Series: Maps for the Study of Uganda Uganda 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Uganda : Lawmakers brawl in Uganda parliament for second day over presidential age limit Uganda 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Uganda : How to Avoid Getting Ill: Uganda President Hasn't Been Sick in 31 Years and Has Some Advice Uganda 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Uganda : Buyers 'beware' Uganda housing boom Uganda 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Uganda : Africa's Deadwood: The gold rush is on in Uganda Uganda 0
KingSango Uganda : Example of a Royal Ladies Club in an Uganda Kingdom. Uganda 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Uganda : Uganda takes on the chocolate market Uganda 0
jamesfrmphilly Uganda : Solar Eclipse from Uganda Uganda 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Uganda : Culture war: Film links U.S. Evangelicals to intolerance against gays in Uganda Uganda 7
Clyde C Coger Jr Uganda : Uganda loses wetland to rose farming business Uganda 0
Gorilla Uganda : The Less Than 1%: How Uganda’s Atheists Are Fighting Back Uganda 1
Queenie Uganda : Mysterious Nodding Syndrome in Uganda Uganda 14
Clyde C Coger Jr Uganda : Officials: Ebola breaks out in Uganda Uganda 2
jamesfrmphilly Uganda : Lawsuit: US pastor runs anti-gay effort in Uganda Uganda 2
Ankhur Uganda : Uganda/ It's all about the OIL Uganda 3
Ankhur Uganda : Bolivaran revolution from North Africa to Uganda? Uganda 2
Amnat77 Uganda : RIck Warren exposed, his role in Uganda's death penalty for gays bill Uganda 126
Destee Uganda : Uganda newspaper publishes 'gay list,' calls for their hanging Uganda 1
Ankhur Uganda : Uganda in Iraq Uganda 1
abdurratln Uganda : TFG & Uganda Target Civilians Uganda 10
Ankhur Uganda : What is really going on in Uganda? Uganda 4
Ankhur Uganda : Washington seeks to block Fascism as a crime, at the ICC , in Uganda Uganda 5
Amnat77 Nigeria : Homophobia in Nigeria, Uganda, Malawi And Over-sexed South Africa Nigeria 76
MsInterpret Uganda : Uganda crowns 'youngest royal' Uganda 0
HODEE Uganda : UGANDA'S KING Uganda 0
P Uganda : Uganda virgins offered university Uganda 5
anAfrican Uganda : Internet/Telephony Access in Uganda Uganda 2
P Uganda : Uganda in court over DRC claims Uganda 1
tzevi1278 Black Poetry : Uganda? (what's that) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Student files lawsuit accusing teacher of shaming her for not standing for the Pledge of Allegiance Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 5
Mister Aten Science and Technology : “Inner”-standing Technology.... Science and Technology 6
R Black Poetry : HE SAID: In an affair see white walls standing bright and tall and they // Shock my crew and block Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
RAPTOR Black People : Video Shows Planned Parenthood Director Standing Over Dead Fetuses Discussing Prices Black People Open Forum 2
OldSoul OldSoul : Black Men Standing with Ali OldSoul 7
CosmicMessenger Black Entertainment : The Temptations Feat. Rick James - Standing On The Top 12 - Inch Black Entertainment 0
Aluku Black People Politics : Congress Gives Standing Ovation For Execution Of Unarmed Black Female Black People Politics 3
Destee Black People : Standing Up For People You Do Not Know - Ever Done It? Black People Open Forum 29
cherryblossom Audio Video Web Conferencing : Rick James and the Temptations - Standing on the Top Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
river Black People : River Receives Standing Ovation Black People Open Forum 13
ckoolbreez The Front Porch : Why Aren't We Standing Up For OBAMACARE? The Front Porch 35
cherryblossom Black Christians : Standing on the Promises of God Christian Study Group 3
MzBlkAngel Black Poetry : I am broken but still STANDING! Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
queentswana Black Poetry : A standing ovation to you DESTEE Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
OldSoul OldSoul : The Rules of Racial Standing by Derrick Bell OldSoul 6
DymePlaya2g The Front Porch : OH MY GOD...The house is still standing The Front Porch 13
A Black Events : LIVE ONLINE CLASS: DR KAMAU KAMBON THE LAST BLACK MAN STANDING Black Events 0
A Black Poetry : Standing & Facing Life Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
N Black People Politics : RACIST, JUDAS-MEDIA ATTEMPTS TO POLITICALLY CRUCIFY OBAMA FOR STANDING UP FOR AMERICA Black People Politics 0
I Black Poetry : Standing Water Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
jamesfrmphilly Black Entertainment : i was standing on the corner when 50 cent rolled by Black Entertainment 11