Phones and Apps : Ubuntu Edge - Linux powered phone looking for backers.

Gorilla

Jan 31, 2009
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

Promo video:

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room. Say hello to the Ubuntu Edge, the first smartphone to use open source Ubuntu Touch software as well as Android -- and the people behind it want your help with a multi-million-dollar crowdfunding campaign.

Ubuntu creator British company Canonical wants to bring the dual-booting Edge to fruition by raising a whopping 21.5 million pounds ($32 million) in a month on Indiegogo. It claims this is the biggest target ever for a crowdfunded campaign. The campaign intends to produce 40,000 units; if you want to own an Edge of your very own, you'll get a handset if you pledge 394 pounds ($600) today, or 532 pounds ($830) thereafter.

You will have to wait until May 2014 to actually get your hands on the Edge, however.
If the Edge raises the money, Canonical will be "delighted" and could repeat the experiment as "a regular thing." But if it doesn't raise the ambitious full amount before August 21, the Edge won't happen at all, and Canonical will merrily continue to develop Ubuntu mobile software for carriers and manufacturers to add to their own phones.

Canonical says it's adopted crowdfunding to see which technologies early adopters are interested in paying for, without a manufacturer having to spend millions on developing a product that then proves to be a flop. The company highlights the Edge's battery and scratch-proof screen as technologies that would be adopted more widely if they could be proved by this project to be the sort of things people want from their phones. But Canonical insists this is not a full move into the phone hardware market.

The Edge promises "the latest, fastest processor," with at least 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage. It has a 4.5-inch, 720p screen covered in pure sapphire crystal, which Canonical claims to be "the hardest natural substance after diamond."

Full C-Net article: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13763_3-57594855/ubuntu-edge-dual-boots-android-seeks-$32m/

It hope both Ubuntu Touch and Mozilla's mobile operating system turn out to be some viable alternatives to Android.

houserunner

Feb 12, 2010
Did not know Ubuntu was going this route, I love it as an OS (free and extremely functional!!!) and I am a Mozilla browser user. Plus and plus.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : $99 ARM-based PC runs either Ubuntu or Android Science and Technology 1
Shikamaru Computers - Software Hardware : Ubuntu on Android Science and Technology 23
anAfrican Science and Technology : FYI: Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference Science and Technology 1
prokoro Science and Technology : Using plantronics mic headset in ubuntu 8.10 Science and Technology 6
anAfrican Science and Technology : The Perfect Desktop - Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn Science and Technology 2
anAfrican Science and Technology : OS Combat - Ubuntu Linux Versus Vista Science and Technology 4
ManicRaider Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Fellow men: Can I ask my barber to not give me an edge up? Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 2
Black Phoenix Science and Technology : Cutting Edge: The Lexus Hoverboard Science and Technology 0
Black Phoenix Science and Technology : Cutting Edge: China is Building The World's Largest Telescope Science and Technology 2
asimplepoet Black Poetry : Teetering on the edge of destiny Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : Jagged Edge - He can't love you Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
PurpleMoons Audio Video Web Conferencing : Jagged Edge - Let's Get Married ft. Reverend Run Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Jagged Edge - I Gotta Be Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
howardtsu Black Poetry : At the Edge of Love Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
R Black Poetry : Living on the Edge Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
mizjoice Black Poetry : The Edge Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
R Black Poetry : Livin on the Edge Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
T Black Spirituality Religion : The Beauty of Being on The EDGE! Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 6
T Black Entertainment : Do you like Jagged Edge new joint Black Entertainment 0
watzinaname Black Poetry : The Edge of My Love.... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
D Quiet Poetry Lounge : at an edge of insanity Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11
MzBlkAngel Quiet Poetry Lounge : over da edge Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 15
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : cutting edge Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Bluewater Black Poetry : From the Edge Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 20
G Black Entertainment : new Jagged Edge Black Entertainment 4
S Black Poetry : On the edge of a cliff Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
N Black Poetry : Walk Me To The Edge Of Love Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
alyce Quiet Poetry Lounge : too close to the edge....lookin ova into tha blackhole Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
F Black Entertainment : Prophet Jones vs.112 and jagged edge Black Entertainment 2
Heartbeat Black Poetry : On Henry's Edge Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
D Black Poetry : On the Edge of Know-Ledge Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
N Black Poetry : The edge of tommorrow Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
crwn Science and Technology : Linux is Not Windows Science and Technology 19
crwn Science and Technology : Notable Penetration Test Linux distributions of 2014 Science and Technology 7
Gorilla Science and Technology : Critical crypto bug leaves Linux, hundreds of apps open to eavesdropping Science and Technology 6
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : Manjaro - Linux Distro Based on Arch Science and Technology 0
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : 60 Commands of Linux : A Guide from Newbies to System Administrator Science and Technology 1
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : Overview of Linux Kernel Security Features Science and Technology 0
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : One man writes Linux drivers for 235 USB webcams (Older Article, 2007) Science and Technology 0
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : International Space Station to boldly go with Linux over Windows Science and Technology 0
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : Kali Linux - A Security-focused LiveCD Science and Technology 1
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : Mageia - A Linux distro forked from Mandriva Science and Technology 0
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : DistroWatch - A Linux Distribution News/Directory Site Science and Technology 2
anAfrican Science and Technology : Adobe Flash on Linux Science and Technology 0
G Science and Technology : BeagleBoard: Linux System Science and Technology 0
MANASIAC Computers - Software Hardware : Linux Distros and Unix OS's you love and and are not fond of :-) Science and Technology 19
anAfrican Computers - Software Hardware : Choosing a Desktop Linux Distro Science and Technology 1
anAfrican Science and Technology : Does anybody want to explore linux? Science and Technology 12