Black Spirituality Religion : To all practitioners of Ifa Orisha, Vodun, Akan, or any other Traditional African Religion

JDS

Jul 25, 2018
I have a few questions that no one can ever seem to answer regarding the spirits (Orishas, Voduns, the Abosom, Ancestors, etc.) One common theme that comes up when people mention the spirits is “Protection.” Protection from evil, protection from negative energy, protection from enemies etc. So here is my question.

Why didn’t any of these spiritual powers protect our ancestors from being kidnapped, imprisoned, raped, enslaved, mutilated and more by the white man? Where was the protection then? Where were the spiritual warriors then? If our ancestors were serving these spirits then why were they defeated? By white men at that. Where were the spirits of the Ancestors then? Why are we as a people so messed up on a world wide scale? Economically, politically etc. Where are the spirits? Look at the U. S. prison system alone. We as blacks are the majority inside prison walls. Where are the ancestors? Where are the spirits at to protect us from all the injustices we face as a people? Somebody please help me understand.

jamesfrmphilly

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Jun 18, 2004
north philly ghetto
Occupation
retired computer geek
Law of Herukhuti

Know that God neither punishes nor rewards nor protects, that you will have the comfort of controlling these for yourself.

METU NETER.jpg

jamesfrmphilly

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Jun 18, 2004
north philly ghetto
Occupation
retired computer geek
I have a few questions that no one can ever seem to answer regarding the spirits (Orishas, Voduns, the Abosom, Ancestors, etc.) One common theme that comes up when people mention the spirits is “Protection.” Protection from evil, protection from negative energy, protection from enemies etc. So here is my question.

Why didn’t any of these spiritual powers protect our ancestors from being kidnapped, imprisoned, raped, enslaved, mutilated and more by the white man? Where was the protection then? Where were the spiritual warriors then? If our ancestors were serving these spirits then why were they defeated? By white men at that. Where were the spirits of the Ancestors then? Why are we as a people so messed up on a world wide scale? Economically, politically etc. Where are the spirits? Look at the U. S. prison system alone. We as blacks are the majority inside prison walls. Where are the ancestors? Where are the spirits at to protect us from all the injustices we face as a people? Somebody please help me understand.
you have touched on a key issue. i don't have a good answer.
my best guess is that without struggle and challenge there is no development.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Omowale Jabali African Traditional Religion : Questions for ATR Practitioners African Traditional Religion Study Group 30
pamelab The Front Porch : Introduction on to forum - Know of any Yoruba practitioners in Louisiana? The Front Porch 16
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : AFRIKAN THEORETICIAN AS OPPOSE TO BEING BLACK PRACTITIONERS Chief Elder Osiris 0
D Black Spirituality Religion : Yoruba & BaKongo practitioners? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 9
N African Traditional Religion : Learning/adopting Ifa African Traditional Religion Study Group 1
I Support : Where to start in IFA Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 1
Knowledge Seed Black Spirituality Religion : Ifa Speaks Against Whites in ATRs Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 65
KingSango African Traditional Religion : IFA v.s Buddhism. African Traditional Religion Study Group 46
Phylecia Black Spirituality Religion : Video of IFA Ogun Priest Facing a Racist Antagonist Radio Host Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
Kongolini Zulu Mau Black People : LET'S TALK ABOUT GODPARENTS IN IFA AND ORISA Black People Open Forum 2
river Black Spirituality Religion : Ifa Symbol for Male/Female Principles Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 6
Fagunda African American History Culture : Odu and the Ifa Concept of History: The Historical Record African American History Culture 7
C Black Spirituality Religion : The Role Of The Egbe Priest in Ifa Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
O African Traditional Religion : Qs Traditional Ifa. African Traditional Religion Study Group 2
A African Traditional Religion : Osun and the Origins of the Ifa Divination African Traditional Religion Study Group 0
imhotep06 Egypt : Our Lineage - Egypt, The Bible, Ifa and the African-American Egypt 10
A African Traditional Religion : Odu Ifa: the ethical teachings, by Maulana Karenga African Traditional Religion Study Group 43
A African Traditional Religion : Getting Started With Ifa African Traditional Religion Study Group 18
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Elehan: Priestly initiation in Ifa Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
A African Traditional Religion : Odu Ifa discussion African Traditional Religion Study Group 215
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : 16 cosmological tenets of the Odu Ifa Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
river Black Spirituality Religion : Where Can I Find the Ifa Corpus? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 14
T African Traditional Religion : The 16 Truths of Ifa African Traditional Religion Study Group 5
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Ifa concept of prayer and sorcery Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 10
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Ifa Creation Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 4
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Dafa: Ifa Divination Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 10
river Black Spirituality Religion : Sexism in Ifa? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
L Black Spirituality Religion : Odu Ifa: the ethical teachings, by Maulana Karenga Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Orunmila and the Ifa Corpus Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Yoruba Beliefs (spiritual tenets of Ifa) Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 6
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Ara Ifa: Ijo Orunmila Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Codes and Conduct of Priest/Priestess and non-priest in the Oracle of Ifa community Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
A Black Spirituality Religion : IFA Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 25
AHMOSE Destee Network : the Ifa Foundation of North America Destee Network : 10
Blackbird Black Spirituality Religion : Sista Destee, Ifa Say.... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 13
K Black Spirituality Religion : Ifa/Yoruba Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Poeticsoulsista Black Spirituality Religion : IFA: To practice or not to practice Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 5
Liberty Black Entertainment : Esosa E., Tim Reid Board Nosa Igbinedion's Rio de Janeiro-Set 'Rise of the Orisha' Black Entertainment 0
candeesweet Black Spirituality Religion : Allowence to my orisha Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
S Black Spirituality Religion : The “Orisha” (part 1) Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
river Black Spirituality Religion : Yoruba: The Orisha of Fatherhood? Is there One? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
Ra Nehem Black Spirituality Religion : Abosom (Orisha, Vodou - Deities) Do Not Ask For Money Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
river Black Spirituality Religion : I am Looking for Information about the Orisha Named Oya Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 4
A African Traditional Religion : Santeria herbs and Orisha African Traditional Religion Study Group 4
Ankhur Black Spirituality Religion : Should folks say The ORISHA and NETERU never existed?? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
T African Traditional Religion : Orisha's ebos and days African Traditional Religion Study Group 19
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : The Seven chakras and their corresponding Orisha Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 8
P Black Spirituality Religion : Orisha Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 7
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Orisha: Angelic forces of Nature Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
D Black Spirituality Religion : Orisha's food and spiritual concerns - Brazilian Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1