Black People : THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Keita Kenyatta

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 7, 2004
The first question which the priest and the Levite asked was: "If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me"?...But...the good Samaritan reversed the question: "If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him"?

Martin Luther King

cherryblossom

Feb 28, 2009
Memphis, TN-April 3, 1968
Martin Luther King: "I've Been To The Mountain Top"

..."Let us develop a kind of dangerous unselfishness. One day a man came to Jesus, and he wanted to raise some questions about some vital matters of life. At points he wanted to trick Jesus, and show him that he knew a little more than Jesus knew and throw him off base....

Now that question could have easily ended up in a philosophical and theological debate. But Jesus immediately pulled that question from mid-air, and placed it on a dangerous curve between Jerusalem and Jericho. And he talked about a certain man, who fell among thieves. You remember that a Levite and a priest passed by on the other side. They didn't stop to help him. And finally a man of another race came by.

He got down from his beast, decided not to be compassionate by proxy. But he got down with him, administered first aid, and helped the man in need. Jesus ended up saying, this was the good man, this was the great man, because he had the capacity to project the "I" into the "thou," and to be concerned about his brother. Now you know, we use our imagination a great deal to try to determine why the priest and the Levite didn't stop. At times we say they were busy going to a church meeting, an ecclesiastical gathering, and they had to get on down to Jerusalem so they wouldn't be late for their meeting. At other times we would speculate that there was a religious law that "One who was engaged in religious ceremonials was not to touch a human body twenty-four hours before the ceremony." And every now and then we begin to wonder whether maybe they were not going down to Jerusalem -- or down to Jericho, rather to organize a "Jericho Road Improvement Association." That's a possibility. Maybe they felt that it was better to deal with the problem from the causal root, rather than to get bogged down with an individual effect.

But I'm going to tell you what my imagination tells me. It's possible that those men were afraid. You see, the Jericho road is a dangerous road. I remember when Mrs. King and I were first in Jerusalem. We rented a car and drove from Jerusalem down to Jericho. And as soon as we got on that road, I said to my wife, "I can see why Jesus used this as the setting for his parable." It's a winding, meandering road. It's really conducive for ambushing. You start out in Jerusalem, which is about 1200 miles -- or rather 1200 feet above sea level. And by the time you get down to Jericho, fifteen or twenty minutes later, you're about 2200 feet below sea level. That's a dangerous road. In the days of Jesus it came to be known as the "Bloody Pass." And you know, it's possible that the priest and the Levite looked over that man on the ground and wondered if the robbers were still around. Or it's possible that they felt that the man on the ground was merely faking. And he was acting like he had been robbed and hurt, in order to seize them over there, lure them there for quick and easy seizure. And so the first question that the priest asked -- the first question that the Levite asked was, "If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?" But then the Good Samaritan came by. And he reversed the question: "If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?"
.....http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkivebeentothemountaintop.htm

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
directlite Black Poetry : I thought about posting this to my IG but today's my first day (my account just got approved) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : VIKINGS MAY NOT BE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE, DNA STUDY FINDS Black People Open Forum 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : The true age of Earth's core has been discovered – and it's younger than previously thought Science and Technology 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : Humans reached the Americas 11,000 years earlier than previously thought, archaeologists discover Black Education / Schools 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : The Day a Native American Tribe Drove the KKK Out of Town The North Carolina Klan thought burning crosses would scare the Lumbee tribe out of Robeson Black People Open Forum 2
S Black Spirituality Religion : THE MOST SATANIC SONG YOU ALWAYS HEARD BUT NEVER THOUGHT WAS!!! Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : The true story behind the name 'Black Friday' is much darker than you may have thought Black People Open Forum 0
panafricanalliance Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III : Which is correct - Memphite, Hermopolitan, or Theban Schools Of Thought? Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III Study Group 4
A Black Poetry : You are my sexy thought Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Authors : 24 Of The Most Thought-Provoking Pieces Of Writing By People Of Color In 2017 Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Ancient Fossils Reveal the First Humans Emerged 170,000 Years Earlier than We Thought Science and Technology 0
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Poetry : Outlaw: Starts At Home...I Thought You New.... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
freddie419 Black Entertainment : 'I thought I sold that MF' Black Entertainment 0
blazejay Black Money Business Jobs : What are your views and thought about the economic future of our people? Black Money Business Jobs 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : russia-hacking-is-bigger-than-anyone-thought Black People Politics 9
Liberty Black People Politics : Civil Rights Leaders Confront Korean Store Owner Who Choked Black Woman Because He Thought She Was S Black People Politics 4
Senegal Black Men : Thought Provoking Advice For our Girls and Women Black Men 0
Kemetstry Health and Wellness : CDC: ZIKA VIRUS WORSE THAN THOUGHT? Black Health and Wellness 1
R Black Poetry : Grab my hair give it a perm then live and learn far as music thought I could use it drank a crew of Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Lrae Black Spirituality Religion : I thought about it and...Thoth is not always reasonable!... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Liberty Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : “School of Thought” Clothing Line Imagines Black Leaders as University Namesakes Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 0
Angela22 Black Poetry : Bet You Thought... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : How blacks were thought of in the Declaration of Independence AACOOLDRE 0
RAPTOR Black Education / Schools : Colleges Train for Work, Not Thought Black Education / Schools 10
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : A change of heart, cholesterol may not be as bad as once thought Black Health and Wellness 2
Kemetstry Health and Wellness : CIGARETTE SMOKING WORSE THAN THOUGHT Black Health and Wellness 5
RAPTOR Black People : Bob Law: History of Black Radio and the Removal of Black Militant Thought Black People Open Forum 0
KPITRL Black People : Ever thought you were right to find out years later you were wrong? Black People Open Forum 10
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : What early historians thought of Christianity AACOOLDRE 0
Flavia Black People : Names ... do you like your first name? Ever thought about changing it? Black People Open Forum 36
baller Black Poetry : She Thought Him... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
candeesweet Black Poetry : The thought out, you this you that, bore me to dealth Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Destee Destee Network : Are you interested in owning your own web site? Have you ever thought about it? Destee Network : 28
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : 5 Foods You Thought Were Unhealthy – But Aren’t Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Porsha Stewart Thought the Underground Railroad Was a Real Train: How Did the Real Housewives of Atl Black People Open Forum 82
Angela22 Black Short Stories : I thought you loved me... Short Stories - Authors - Writing 10
J The Front Porch : Soup for thought The Front Porch 3
Alarm Clock Black People Politics : Why deos the president need a new war every five minutes? I thought after W we were done with that! Black People Politics 12
Alarm Clock Black People : Lee Daniels at an HIV center; "So many Black woman, I thought I walked into a welfare office" Black People Open Forum 84
MsInterpret Black Poetry : I Got a Dirty Thought Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Neanderthals Died Out Earlier Than Thought Science and Technology 5
Omowale Jabali Omowale Jabali : Just A Thought - Does Jesus approve of President Obama authorizing drone strikes? Omowale Jabali 52
S Black People : Derrick Belcher, Man Behind Alabama Secession Petition, Looks exactly like you thought he did. Black People Open Forum 2
Enki Science and Technology : Is "Thought" a Force? And does it Create Reality ? Science and Technology 105
Kemetstry Black People : Categorizing Mass Murderers - Food For Thought Black People Open Forum 20
1poetsought Black Poetry : i thought Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
S Egypt : Ancient Egyptian observation of a variable star made 3000 years earlier than was previously thought Egypt 4
Ankhur Black People : Thought Provoking Excerpt from John Sayles "Sunshine State" Black People Open Forum 0
RAPTOR Black People : Umar johnson: expressing his garvey school-of-thought Black People Open Forum 0
cherryblossom Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Black Men: Food for thought: Johnny Taylor - Who's Making Love Audio Video Web Conferencing 1