Black Spirituality Religion : Thirteen Guidlines for Yoruba Self-development

Sekhemu

Jul 9, 2003
new jersey
Occupation
priest
1. There is to be No Practice of Wickedness.

2. There is to be No Stealing.

3. There is to be No Selfishness.

4. There is to be No Covenant Breaking Nor Falsehood.

5. There is to be No Hypocrisy.

6. There is to be No Acts of Atrocity committed against one's neibhbors.

7. There is to be Honor and Respect to the Elders.

8. There is to be Protection of the Women.

9. There is to be Truthfulness and Uprighteousness.

10. There is to be Kindness and Generosity

11. There is to be Sensitivity in respect to person-to-person relationships

12. There is to be Chastity in respect to vows to mates.

13. There is to be Hospitable Directives.

river

Watch Her Flow
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
Brotha Sek,

Thanks for educating. You know I was interested in Yoruba and vodum systems.

cursed heart

Jan 12, 2006
Sekhemu said:
1. There is to be No Practice of Wickedness.

2. There is to be No Stealing.

3. There is to be No Selfishness.

4. There is to be No Covenant Breaking Nor Falsehood.

5. There is to be No Hypocrisy.

6. There is to be No Acts of Atrocity committed against one's neibhbors.

7. There is to be Honor and Respect to the Elders.

8. There is to be Protection of the Women.

9. There is to be Truthfulness and Uprighteousness.

10. There is to be Kindness and Generosity

11. There is to be Sensitivity in respect to person-to-person relationships

12. There is to be Chastity in respect to vows to mates.

13. There is to be Hospitable Directives.
Very interesting!
Correct me if I'm wrong but were there originally 66 commandments?
I do believe I read this somewhere that there were.

awo dino

Sep 11, 2009
in florida for now
Occupation
carpenter, anthropologist, teacher. Right now I te
In Ifa/Orisa we don't have commandments. The Odu Meji that you refer to with the #16 reference are not commandments in any way shape or form. Brother Sekhemu's list are social directives more than commandments. However, in Yorubaland, religion, like economics, is embedded in social life. they are not separated.
ire

cherryblossom

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
Very interesting!
Correct me if I'm wrong but were there originally 66 commandments?
I do believe I read this somewhere that there were.

In Ifa/Orisa we don't have commandments. The Odu Meji that you refer to with the #16 reference are not commandments in any way shape or form. Brother Sekhemu's list are social directives more than commandments. However, in Yorubaland, religion, like economics, is embedded in social life. they are not separated.
ire

Thank you, Brother Awo for correcting Cursed Heart's terminology of "commandments."

Where does the 66 fit in, if anywhere, or was that number incorrect as well?

44Reasons

Sep 7, 2008
What if somebody deliberately wrongs you and you have the means to make them pay do you a make them suffer or b let them slide. I am so used to letting it slide but in this point in my life I cannot due to the knowledge I am receiving plus it was an act of Sorcery.

Continue Right or go Left.....

Sekhemu

Jul 9, 2003
new jersey
Occupation
priest
What if somebody deliberately wrongs you and you have the means to make them pay do you a make them suffer or b let them slide. I am so used to letting it slide but in this point in my life I cannot due to the knowledge I am receiving plus it was an act of Sorcery.

Continue Right or go Left.....
I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but did two wrongs ever make a right.

You have all the license in the world to protect yourself.

What price will you have to pay by making them "pay?"

When and where does it end?

awo dino

Sep 11, 2009
in florida for now
Occupation
carpenter, anthropologist, teacher. Right now I te
Thank you, Brother Awo for correcting Cursed Heart's terminology of "commandments."

Where does the 66 fit in, if anywhere, or was that number incorrect as well?
Sister Cherryblossom,
I am not familiar with that number having any significance.

44 reasons (not sure brother or sister),
There are no clear cut guidelines to answer your question. Ifa/Orisa is grounded in our earthly life, so one must do what one must do to protect self and family. But vengeance for the sake of vengeance is frowned upon. It is said in Odu (the beauty of Odu is that it is an oral corpus, so it is new everyday, unlike written scriptures frozen in time), wish your enemies a long life, so that they may witness your success, which was made possible by your good and gentle character. This doesn't mean you must be a punk. If you are familiar with Orisa, you know that they are capable of destruction. Ogun, for example, is a nurturing, protective Orisa, but he will also rip your lungs out.
What this means on a metaphysical level is that we are all capable of good and evil. The most beautiful thing that you imagine you are capable of, you are capable of also doing an horrific act of equal magnitude. All of us are. You can't separate "good and evil." This is the lie of the Judeo-Christians and Muslims, etc. (let me have it), who would separate the unseparable, creating humanity's greatest travesty, the idea of "sin."

If someone deliberately wrongs you, but you are able to handle it peacefully, then that's what you do. But if you have put a cap in their *** to protect your family, then that's what you do.
This is my interpretation of Odu, so it is only my humble opinion.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

It's okay to admire otherz, but first, love self. ELEVATE your self-image by having a healthy love & respect for yourself. ✍
1619+400=2019 Jamestown Virginia...end of slavery. (Yes modern miseducation and injustices count as slavery) But no proper reparations will be given since the amount of contributions beyond humanity transcends generations. Our people have history that is equal to trillions of dollars including Melanin research and its supernatural power.
I want my people to be aware of this dilemma regarding the upcoming election... I know politics. Yes Trump is admitting the truth about Black People building this so called country corporation (The United States). But you must understand that what they're planning on doing is to divide and conquer. This is all just for him to get re-elected. He's going to promise reparations and reneg at the last minute.
Ifypedro334 wrote on Jasica Adam's profile.
The best gift to give a baby boy is ??
Lon
Trying to find my way around on this forum. It's not User Friendly