Black People : Think Tank Hosted By Tavis Smiley...

uzoka

Sep 4, 2003
Australia
Occupation
writer
Yeah good post, but people...powerful as it is, it isn't as if you didn't know this last week or last month.

You at least knew blacks have it bad, people 50 years ago knew that blacks had it bad, yet we STILL have it bad.

What are you going to do with it?

Peace

uzoka

Sep 4, 2003
Australia
Occupation
writer
When am I going to stop using the word 'you' when discussing problems, it's highly confrontational and often gives others the impression that you are blaming them.

Apologies, I meant 'we'.

Peace

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
I agree

Thank you Brother Aqil for posting this information. It is shocking when you read the statistics that seem to validate everything you thought was going on but didn't have the data to prove it. Brother uzoka, thank you for keeping it real, as they say.

Right, there's nothing new under the sun. Don't you think it's time to do something to change the situation? Let's be practical about what it is each of us can do. Everyone isn't an Oprah or Shaq or others like them and not everyone wants to be. But what are you willing to do?

What the Think Tank has done is lay things out on the table and highlight the challenges that Black people living in a capitalist society are faced with. Can we successfully compete for wealth following standards set by Europeans or do we see ourselves thriving and surviving under different economic/social/political circumstances? Can we compete and beat them at their own game or do we need to play a different game and write the rules for ourselves that benefit Blacks?

Maybe the wheel does need to be reinvented. Just a thought!

angelicsage

May 30, 2003
~The hidden library...~
Uzoka….

With all due respect, I think your post is overtly assumptive that some of us who replied to this thread weren’t aware of the facts and aren’t doing anything to make a difference.
While I chose not to leave a “testimony” of sorts…having professional and educational background in entrepreneurial business…I’m very aware of many of the things Aquil spoke of and am very involved in my community, working to enlighten and empower my brothers and sisters to take this information and use it to increase minority business and financial independence. When such staggering statistics are compiled together…it creates a powerful punch…somewhat of a wake up call for those who are unaware…this is why I commended Aquil on such a great thread…I consider myself to be a lifelong learner and even I was enlightened by a few of these stats.

Sometimes it’s more important to absorb & support the information instead of attack each other…assuming that our fellow man is “ignorant” of the information…Conversely, if he or she were unaware… “Is it not more productive to be thankful that this information has been made available thus creating a more positive, supportive and productive ethos. Unfortunately, exchanging the word “you” for “we” scarcely changes the pretentious tone of your response.

And as NNQueen said…there is nothing new under the sun, but I feel we are in a better position socially and economically to make a difference…more now… than before. It is humanly impossible for one individual to take on each of these tasks. However, each of us will gravitate toward the area that our skill sets can be best utilized and/or matched with the skill sets of others to improve the minority economic condition.

If we are truly interested in others responses, maybe we should be asking… “How are some/if any of us currently utilizing this information or how has the information presented, changed or enhanced your economic perception or goals?”

Again…I commend Aquil on a great thread…and NNQueen for such engaging questions…

uzoka

Sep 4, 2003
Australia
Occupation
writer
angelicsage, hi

The question was rhetorical so no testimony required :) and I cannot assume anything about you since I do not know you.

My question was directed to those who are not actively working toward anything in this regard.

If you are already working on and towards something, then simply disregard it and I wish you the best in your efforts.

Peace

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Travel : Hurricane predictions signal good news for your gas tank Black Travel 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : The story of 'Patton's Panthers,' the black WWII tank unit that crushed Nazi forces on the Western f African American History Culture 1
Writspirit Black People : Tank to Join El Debarge and Troop in Bronx Concert Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Catholic Church Explains The Bodies Of Nearly 800 Children Found ‘In Septic Tank’ ... Black People Open Forum 0
candeesweet Black Poetry : My reasoning tank unfixed but always perfect! Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : tank - i hate you Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Tennessee man charged $85,000 for a tank of gas Black People Doing Positive Things 4
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Tank - I Can't Make You Love Me [Official Music Video] Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Tank - Maybe I deserve Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
Full Speed Black People : Black Progress Think Tank Black People Open Forum 13
Ankhur Black People : A Call for A National black Agenda or Think tank to Save Our Youth Black People Open Forum 51
D Black People : Woman forfeits friend for free tank of gas Black People Open Forum 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Internet Technology : Neo-Nazi Website The Daily Stormer Is Now Being Hosted on Island With Mostly Black Residents Science and Technology 0
jamesfrmphilly Black Positive People : the-white-house-hosted-a-princess-party-for-115-black-girls Black People Doing Positive Things 5
S Black People : BLACK FAMILY UNITY : Dr. Marion W. Starling & Dr. John Henrik Clarke, hosted by Sonia Sanchez Black People Open Forum 0
Destee Law Forum : Tavis Smiley Suspended - Sexual Misconduct Investigation Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 6
Kemetstry Black People : TAVIS APOLOGY TO #44 !??! Black People Open Forum 9
Liberty Law Forum : Tavis Smiley, PBS to Explore USA Judicial System in Unprecedented Televised Series, ‘Courting Justic Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 3
RAPTOR Black People : TAVIS SMILEY: Feelings of 'ambivalence' about the movie, "The Help" Black People Open Forum 13
S Black People : Tavis Smiley's "Remaking America" image sequence. Black People Open Forum 24
S Black Entertainment : El Debarge, Tavis Smiley interview Black Entertainment 0
M Black People : Tavis Smiley Show. . .Sheryl Flowers Black People Open Forum 0
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Chief Elder Osiris Respond to Tavis Behavior Chief Elder Osiris 0
D Black Jokes Humor : Tavis Smiley is on the money Black Jokes Humor 3
H Black People : Farrakhan on Tavis- Black People Open Forum 2
A Black People : Tavis Smiley's Reply To Bob Johnson... Black People Open Forum 0
Destee Black People : BET fired Tavis - Effective Immediately! Black People Open Forum 0