Health and Wellness : The Perfect Human: Editing DNA

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
Engineering the Perfect Baby

In numerous other threads, we've been having discussions about self-hate and what some of us think it looks like. In the form of physical attributes, there have been many debates among us and examples shown.

Examples have been shown of people who voluntarily bleach or whiten their skin.

We've even discussed people that wear other people's hair in the form of weaves.

I've added an example of a Black man who chose to permanently change his eye color from dark brown to a light blue.

With so many people around the world using science and medicine to "cosmetically" change how they look than when they were born, what message is this sending scientists who want permission of the government to conduct controversial research, like stem cell, to make it possible for people to look a certain way or even to eradicate inheritable diseases?

In my opinion, the more science back doors the controversy by showing the cosmetic advantages to a world population that's becoming increasingly more vain, the argument about ethics in science will become a non-issue and scientists will be free to research and test whatever they like in the name of science and people will cheer them on. The following is but one example.

Scientists are developing ways to edit the DNA of tomorrow’s children. Should they stop before it’s too late?"

The center of a new technological genesis—one in which man rebuilds creation to suit himself.

Can we improve the human gene pool? The position of much of mainstream science has been that such meddling would be unsafe, irresponsible, and even impossible. But Yang (a young postdoctoral scientist from Beijing) didn’t hesitate. Yes, of course, she said. In fact, the Harvard laboratory had a project under way to determine how it could be achieved. She flipped open her laptop to a PowerPoint slide titled “Germline Editing Meeting.”

Here it was: a technical proposal to alter human heredity. “Germ line” is biologists’ jargon for the egg and sperm, which combine to form an embryo. By editing the DNA of these cells or the embryo itself, it could be possible to correct disease genes and pass those genetic fixes on to future generations. Such a technology could be used to rid families of scourges like cystic fibrosis. It might also be possible to install genes that offer lifelong protection against infection, Alzheimer’s, and, Yang told me, maybe the effects of aging. Such history-making medical advances could be as important to this century as vaccines were to the last.

Just think, one day humans could be fashionably designed, no longer show signs of aging or suffer from life threatening diseases and we will live longer lives.

What could this mean for the human race, or more importantly the Black race?

Read more

Chevron Dove

May 7, 2009
Engineering the Perfect Baby

In numerous other threads, we've been having discussions about self-hate and what some of us think it looks like. In the form of physical attributes, there have been many debates among us and examples shown.

Examples have been shown of people who voluntarily bleach or whiten their skin.

We've even discussed people that wear other people's hair in the form of weaves.

I've added an example of a Black man who chose to permanently change his eye color from dark brown to a light blue.

With so many people around the world using science and medicine to "cosmetically" change how they look than when they were born, what message is this sending scientists who want permission of the government to conduct controversial research, like stem cell, to make it possible for people to look a certain way or even to eradicate inheritable diseases?

In my opinion, the more science back doors the controversy by showing the cosmetic advantages to a world population that's becoming increasingly more vain, the argument about ethics in science will become a non-issue and scientists will be free to research and test whatever they like in the name of science and people will cheer them on. The following is but one example.

Scientists are developing ways to edit the DNA of tomorrow’s children. Should they stop before it’s too late?"

The center of a new technological genesis—one in which man rebuilds creation to suit himself.

Can we improve the human gene pool? The position of much of mainstream science has been that such meddling would be unsafe, irresponsible, and even impossible. But Yang (a young postdoctoral scientist from Beijing) didn’t hesitate. Yes, of course, she said. In fact, the Harvard laboratory had a project under way to determine how it could be achieved. She flipped open her laptop to a PowerPoint slide titled “Germline Editing Meeting.”

Here it was: a technical proposal to alter human heredity. “Germ line” is biologists’ jargon for the egg and sperm, which combine to form an embryo. By editing the DNA of these cells or the embryo itself, it could be possible to correct disease genes and pass those genetic fixes on to future generations. Such a technology could be used to rid families of scourges like cystic fibrosis. It might also be possible to install genes that offer lifelong protection against infection, Alzheimer’s, and, Yang told me, maybe the effects of aging. Such history-making medical advances could be as important to this century as vaccines were to the last.

Just think, one day humans could be fashionably designed, no longer show signs of aging or suffer from life threatening diseases and we will live longer lives.

What could this mean for the human race, or more importantly the Black race?

Read more
Interesting article.

Thanks for posting.

I think mankind have been trying to select certain type of people to mate with to have a certain type of offspring for thousands of years and this article is about this same issue.

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
True and other animal species use selective breeding as well. But this a bit different don't you think in terms of human nature, or not?

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
:SuN020: i'm not sharing my DNA......thank you
Sorry to disappoint you Bro. James but the medical profession has already collected it or have the ability to even after you die. Just ask the Wooly mammoth.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Black People : Darkness, Blackness, The Perfect Night, The Face Of God Black People Open Forum 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People : simone-biles-voted-off-dwts despite perfect scores.. Black People Open Forum 1
Kemetstry Black Positive People : PERFECT ACT SCORE Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Kemetstry Black Positive People : PERFECT ACT SCORE Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : How To Boil an Egg: The Science, the Controversy, and the Perfect Yolk Food Discussion and Recipes 2
Yeremiyah Ben Ysrayl Black People : Vaccines are the perfect weapon for population control. Black People Open Forum 2
Khasm13 Khasm13 : picture perfect--eric roberson Khasm13 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : The Surprising, Easy Trick To Making Perfect Bacon Food Discussion and Recipes 3
candeesweet Black Poetry : My reasoning tank unfixed but always perfect! Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : How to Make Perfect Scrambled Eggs Food Discussion and Recipes 16
KaHotep Black Poetry : Shadow and Mirror: Da Perfect Team Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Umar Black Positive People : The Perfect Thread Black People Doing Positive Things 0
S Audio Video Web Conferencing : Ayo - Down on my Knees - Perfect Live Performance Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
R Black Poetry : Rhymes go at a perfect rate and circulate move like Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : The Perfect Gift This Holiday Season: The Neanderthal Test Black People Open Forum 4
noor100 Health and Wellness : Spirulina:One of Nature's Near-Perfect Foods... Black Health and Wellness 8
rapunzal24 Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : I found the perfect shampoo, Coconut and Hibiscus Shampoo. Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 1
largo Meat Recipe : Perfect Roast Chicken Food Discussion and Recipes 3
noor100 Black Muslims : Betty Shabazz,Perfect Muslim Wife Islam Study Group 1
L Destee Network : How To Spiritually Attract Your Perfect Mate Destee Network : 5
S Black Entertainment : beatiful arrangement.. perfect performance Black Entertainment 1
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : To Have Not The Desire To Be Perfect Is An Evil Unto Thyself Chief Elder Osiris 1
J Black People : Tips For Finding the Perfect Residence Black People Open Forum 0
T Black People : This makes perfect Sense to M.E. Black People Open Forum 4
G Black Poetry : YOU ARE THE PERFECT YOU Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
$$RICH$$ Quiet Poetry Lounge : PERFECT STRANGER Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
S Black Poetry : My Perfect Date with You Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 19
PatriceCQueen Black People Politics : Obama speech “We the people, in order to form a more perfect union.” Black People Politics 2
$$RICH$$ Black Sports : PERFECT SEASON Black Sports 3
1poetsought Black Poetry : The Perfect Storm ~ Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
L Poetry Critiques : My Kind of Perfect Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
anAfrican Science and Technology : The Perfect Desktop - Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn Science and Technology 2
H Black Short Stories : WARM, LIGHT, KIND, COMFORTING, PERFECT... Short Stories - Authors - Writing 1
howardtsu Black Poetry : The Perfect Thought Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : CREATING MY PERFECT LOVE Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 15
A Black Relationships : The perfect question to find a MAN Black Relationships 31
Monetary Black Sports : Mosley KO's Vargas in 6th on perfect left hook Black Sports 3
C Quiet Poetry Lounge : A Perfect Day at the Beach Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : LOVE's STUMBLE to a PERFECT LOVE Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 14
G Quiet Poetry Lounge : perfect Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : PERFECT INNOCENCE Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
V Poetry Critiques : The Perfect Match Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
D Black Jokes Humor : The perfect job Black Jokes Humor 2
Q Black Jokes Humor : Perfect Match Black Jokes Humor 7
M Black Poetry : Perfect Love Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
A Black Poetry : .::The Perfect Poem::. ( A spoken word joynt ) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 23
D Black Jokes Humor : The Perfect Wife Black Jokes Humor 4
I Black Poetry : On perfect skin Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
I Black Relationships : If you could create the perfect man or woman what would he or she "BE" like?? Black Relationships 29
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : PERFECT JOY OF INNOCENCE Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8