African American History Culture : The Netherlands Paid Reparations For Slavery...

Aluku

May 9, 2012
Yes indeed. The Netherlands in 1863, paid reparations for slavery in Suriname...

...They paid it to the slave owners!

The slave owners got 300 Dutch guilders per slave, which adjusted for inflation, comes to about $2600.00 per slave.

Many plantations had between 100 and 300 slaves, and some plantation owners owned more than one plantation.

In total there were an estimated 33000 slaves in 1863.

So the total "reparations" sum, which was actually a reimbursement from the Netherlands' govenment to the slave owners came to $85,800,000.00

So what did the slaves get? They got to work 10 more years on the same plantations, but now with "pay". It was peanuts.

What else did the slaves get?

Nothing.

Just to let you know what was going on in another part of the world.

BTW no official apology ever let alone reparations. Personally I'm not looking for reparations, but an official apology would be welcomed, not that I'm holding my breath for that.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Yes indeed. The Netherlands in 1863, paid reparations for slavery in Suriname...

...They paid it to the slave owners!

The slave owners got 300 Dutch guilders per slave, which adjusted for inflation, comes to about $2600.00 per slave.

Many plantations had between 100 and 300 slaves, and some plantation owners owned more than one plantation.

In total there were an estimated 33000 slaves in 1863.

So the total "reparations" sum, which was actually a reimbursement from the Netherlands' govenment to the slave owners came to $85,800,000.00

So what did the slaves get? They got to work 10 more years on the same plantations, but now with "pay". It was peanuts.

What else did the slaves get?

Nothing.

Just to let you know what was going on in another part of the world.

BTW no official apology ever let alone reparations. Personally I'm not looking for reparations, but an official apology would be welcomed, not that I'm holding my breath for that.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing ...

Aluku

May 9, 2012
They got a celebration of a "black man"... "Black Peter"

Not sure how this so called "black man overseer" on the right got caught up in handling this protester, that was protesting the publicly sanctioned display of "black face".

Look at the onlookers in the background, as if they are saying "why is he getting so worked up about this, everyone is having a jolly good time".

But take another look...

These children look bewildered

Netherlands' way of reparations, supporting and honoring "black history".
(sarcasm)
They swear up and down, with a straight face that they are not racist. It is interesting to know that the longest segregation in the world in South Africa, was controlled by the Dutch(descendants). The language of South Africa, Afrikaans, is Dutch and Apartheid means, SEGREGATION in Dutch. But never mind all this because after all they are not racist. No sir. No way.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
... So the total "reparations" sum, which was actually a reimbursement from the Netherlands' govenment to the slave owners came to $85,800,000.00

So what did the slaves get? They got to work 10 more years on the same plantations, but now with "pay". It was peanuts ...

Is there any proof available that those slaves were given pay or peanuts as you say?

Aluku

May 9, 2012
Actual
Is there any proof available that those slaves were given pay or peanuts as you say?

Actual proof is hard to come by. But there are estimates.

The planters would not lose on labor. This meant that they paid the same in wages as it would normally cost them to keep/maintain a slave.

It is estimated that a freed slave was paid between 3 and 4 guilders per week. I'm not sure about that because according to some sources, many of these freed slaves still left the plantations even though they were obliged by the Govt. to work another 10 years with pay.

That is why the Netherlands started luring guest workers from, China, Java and India to come work in Suriname. The promised them a lot and delivered nothing. Their work condition were horrible as well. Most of these gust workers ended up staying because they couldn't afford the trip back home, which was by design.

But today all the descendants of slaves and guest workers alike are proud to call themselves Surinamese.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Stolen 400-year-old Bible from Pittsburgh's Carnegie Library recovered in Netherlands Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
R The Front Porch : Merry Xmas from The Netherlands The Front Porch 9
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : The woman behind 'Roe vs. Wade' didn't change her mind on abortion. She was paid Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Forty years ago, Bob Marley paid his own way to play Zimbabwe’s iconic independence concert Black Entertainment 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Digital Edits, a Paid Army: Bloomberg Is 'Destroying Norms' on Social Media Science and Technology 0
OldSoul Black People : Government Paid Reparations For Italian Americans Who Were Lynched Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : When Will We B Paid? - Prince Black People Open Forum 2
jamesfrmphilly Black People : 24 Girls Who Were Kidnapped By Boko Haram Will Get Education Paid For By Black Billionaire Black People Open Forum 1
crwn Black People Politics : BUSTED! Craigslist Ad Exposes Paid Anti-Trump Protesters Black People Politics 2
1poetsought Black Poetry : Already PAID Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Liberty Black Positive People : If You Were Gifted Solar Panels in Oakland, Prince Likely Paid for Them Black People Doing Positive Things 1
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Warren Ballentine on his indictment: Unjust Price Paid For Doing Work For The People Black People Politics 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : President Obama Paid For Private White House Party With Prince, Stevie Wonder Black People Politics 0
Fine1952 African American History Culture : France-US-Britain-Pueto Rico -- Slaveowners Paid Reparations, Slave Ignored African American History Culture 0
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Sharpton is being paid thousands of dollars to not cry 'racism' at large corporations, it is claimed Black People Politics 15
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : How I paid off $158,169 in debt Black People Doing Positive Things 1
OldSoul OldSoul : Japanese-Americans were paid reparations OldSoul 4
Enki Black Education / Schools : College President Gives $90,000 Of His Salary To Lowest-Paid Employees On Campus Black Education / Schools 4
dunwiddat Black People : Water woes in Detroit ... water bill not paid => service suspended => human rights violation? Black People Open Forum 295
HODEE Black People : Worth A lot More Than I Paid Black People Open Forum 0
Keita Kenyatta Black People Politics : Millions in CIA "ghost money" paid to Afghanistan president's office: NYT Black People Politics 3
chuck Black People Politics : Case Studies Of Why Others Get Paid And We Get Played! Black People Politics 2
Amnat77 Jails / Prisons : Judges (Multiple) Paid Millions In Kickbacks To Send Children To Prison Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 3
Amnat77 Black People : Under suspicion: Millions paid to former suspects Black People Open Forum 0
Z I just paid for my first month of Premium Membership but.. Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 3
river Black People : Get Paid for Your Spoken Word Masterpieces Black People Open Forum 0
Ankhur Haiti : Haiti does not deserve a handout / it deserves to be paid what is owed! Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 7
Knowledge Seed Black Money Business Jobs : Finally Getting Paid for an Old Skill Black Money Business Jobs 9
1poetsought Black Poetry : I WANNA GET PAID Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
R Black People : Paid election sign holders Black People Open Forum 0
G Black People : Who said Black Reparations was a "new" idea/demand? "When Will We Get Paid"? Black People Open Forum 0
M Destee Network : Get paid to ask and answer questions Destee Network : 0
D Black Education / Schools : Joking around and get paid for it: Cursed citizens playing mind games Black Education / Schools 0
M Destee Network : Get Hired..Get Paid Watching Movies .. Destee Network : 0
P Black People : Middle-class French mothers will be paid to start le baby boom Black People Open Forum 0
SAMURAI36 Private Messaging Is A Paid Feature? Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 12
jamesfrmphilly Black People : armstrong gets paid by bush Black People Open Forum 0
S Destee Network : Getting Paid to Open Advertisement Emails?! Destee Network : 6
A Black Spirituality Religion : PAID IN FULL... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
T Black People : Bush PAID The Taliban To Attack Us - Proof Black People Open Forum 13
T Destee Network : Get paid for your technical knowledge Destee Network : 1
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : reparations calculation.... Black People Politics 0
HODEE Black People : ADOS Its origins, troublesome ties and fears it's dividing Black folk in the fight for reparations _ IS ANY OF THIS AFFILIATION TRUE? Black People Open Forum 2
Destee Black People Politics : North Carolina city approves reparations for Black residents Black People Politics 3
HODEE Black People : YOU WANT YOUR REPARATIONS.. A relief from Federal taxes would garner individuals more Cold Cash Capitol, plus it's your own money Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Billionaire Steyer shakes up primary with slavery reparations plan Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Steyer: U.S. reparations for slavery will help 'repair the damage' Black People Politics 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Reparations mark new front for US colleges tied to slavery Black People Politics 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : US city to pay Reparations to African-American community with tax on marijuana sales Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : The slave who won reparations African American History Culture 0