Africa : The Myth of the Black African Slave Trade

Sekhemu

Jul 9, 2003
new jersey
Occupation
priest
By Ayanna www.rootswomen.com/ayanna

Islam, Colourism and the Myth of Black African Slave Traders

Africans in the Diaspora have the challenge of rewriting history that as been stained by years of distortions, ommision and downright lies. One of the biggest challenges of rewriting this history has been the Atlantic Slave Trade, and one of the biggest sore points has been the idea that "Black Africans sold their own into slavery". A lack of information, a paucity of expansive scholarship and an unwillingness to have a serious discourse on Colourism as it existed in Africa even before European intervention, has contributed to this. Diaspora Africans are often quite naive and will do anything to hold fast to the illusion that "we are all Africans" and ignore the racism that has existed among a group that is far from uniform.

In looking at the issue of Colourism I could not help seeing the links between the role of Islam in Africa adn the role of Africans in the slave trade. The book, "Islam and the Ideology of Slavery" by John Ralph Willis is very helpful in looking at the almost imperceptible link between the enslavement of "kufir" Non-muslims or infidels, and the belief that Black Africans were not only heathens but inherently inferior. This is not a new thought and certainly not one that originated with the muslims coming into Africa.

The story of Tippu Tip who is one of the most widely known slave traders has always posed a problem for historians, especially Afrocentric historians in the diaspora trying to find some way to reconcile themselves to the idea of an "African Slave trader". The fact that Tippu Tip was not only Muslim, but a "mulatto" is vital. The common ideology of judaism and islam where Black Africans are concerned is certainly no secret. While some in Islamic writings we see an almost mystical reverence to Africans, especially an over sexualized concept of Ethiopian women who were the preferred concubines of many wealthy Arab traders and kings, others there is distinct racism. Add to this the religious fervor of the muslim invaders, their non-acceptance or regard for traditional African religions, and the obvious economic and political desires for which religion was used as a tool, and we get an excellent but little spoken of picture of Islam in Africa.

Keita Kenyatta

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 7, 2004
Sekhemu said:
By Ayanna www.rootswomen.com/ayanna

Islam, Colourism and the Myth of Black African Slave Traders

Africans in the Diaspora have the challenge of rewriting history that as been stained by years of distortions, ommision and downright lies. One of the biggest challenges of rewriting this history has been the Atlantic Slave Trade, and one of the biggest sore points has been the idea that "Black Africans sold their own into slavery". A lack of information, a paucity of expansive scholarship and an unwillingness to have a serious discourse on Colourism as it existed in Africa even before European intervention, has contributed to this. Diaspora Africans are often quite naive and will do anything to hold fast to the illusion that "we are all Africans" and ignore the racism that has existed among a group that is far from uniform.

In looking at the issue of Colourism I could not help seeing the links between the role of Islam in Africa adn the role of Africans in the slave trade. The book, "Islam and the Ideology of Slavery" by John Ralph Willis is very helpful in looking at the almost imperceptible link between the enslavement of "kufir" Non-muslims or infidels, and the belief that Black Africans were not only heathens but inherently inferior. This is not a new thought and certainly not one that originated with the muslims coming into Africa.

The story of Tippu Tip who is one of the most widely known slave traders has always posed a problem for historians, especially Afrocentric historians in the diaspora trying to find some way to reconcile themselves to the idea of an "African Slave trader". The fact that Tippu Tip was not only Muslim, but a "mulatto" is vital. The common ideology of judaism and islam where Black Africans are concerned is certainly no secret. While some in Islamic writings we see an almost mystical reverence to Africans, especially an over sexualized concept of Ethiopian women who were the preferred concubines of many wealthy Arab traders and kings, others there is distinct racism. Add to this the religious fervor of the muslim invaders, their non-acceptance or regard for traditional African religions, and the obvious economic and political desires for which religion was used as a tool, and we get an excellent but little spoken of picture of Islam in Africa.

I have no problem with the idea that Africans were involved in the slave trade. I understand the deep psychological impact of religious doctrine and the effects it can have even on our visual perception. I have even heard brothers here tell me that they are not black or African....they Muslim. In other words, in their mind, because I wasn't a Muslim they were basically letting me know that if they ran into a white guy who said "la illa ha illallah' that he would have sided with that white guy before he would have with me. Therefore in Africa I can easily see the same indoctrination having taken place that would have obscured any vision of other Africans being the same as they were....and as such, there wouldn't have been a bit of guilt or conscious remorse about what they were doing to people who looked as they did.

river

Watch Her Flow
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
If we are to rewrite history then we must write with honesty. And let us not mistake self recrimination and negative introspection for honesty. In fact our task is not to rewrite his-story but to write our-story. His story does not need to be rewritten but it does need to be exposed for what it is--a cesspool of undigested lies. We must write with Alka seltzer, Pepto Bismol and Milk of Magnesia to help the world and ourselves digest the truth. We are not writing for the white man or trying to come up with something to win his approval and respect. We must write for ourselves, for our children and for the posterity of the world.

This man is right. The fact that these so-called African slave traders were muslim mulattoes is vital to diffusing the consternation that a half truth has left us with.

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
river said:
If we are to rewrite history then we must write with honesty. And let us not mistake self recrimination and negative introspection for honesty. In fact our task is not to rewrite his-story but to write our-story. His story does not need to be rewritten but it does need to be exposed for what it is--a cesspool of undigested lies. We must write with Alka seltzer, Pepto Bismol and Milk of Magnesia to help the world and ourselves digest the truth. We are not writing for the white man or trying to come up with something to win his approval and respect. We must write for ourselves, for our children and for the posterity of the world.

This man is right. The fact that these so-called African slave traders were muslim mulattoes is vital to diffusing the consternation that a half truth has left us with.

:bullseye:

abdurratln

Feb 27, 2007
Keita said:
I have no problem with the idea that Africans were involved in the slave trade. I understand the deep psychological impact of religious doctrine and the effects it can have even on our visual perception. I have even heard brothers here tell me that they are not black or African....they Muslim. In other words, in their mind, because I wasn't a Muslim they were basically letting me know that if they ran into a white guy who said "la illa ha illallah' that he would have sided with that white guy before he would have with me. Therefore in Africa I can easily see the same indoctrination having taken place that would have obscured any vision of other Africans being the same as they were....and as such, there wouldn't have been a bit of guilt or conscious remorse about what they were doing to people who looked as they did.

No one should be surprised. Islam is about the Unity of GOD. Those who do not believe are about dis-unity. Now, while we can try to find acommodation for non-believers and dis-believers please do not expect us to come down to your level.

It is a historical fact that the first Muslims were Black Africans. (May Allah be pleased with them all) And, the holy Prophet Muahamad (Peace and Blessins be upon him) was a direct descendant of a Black African named Hagar. (Peace and Blessings be upon him) Just deal with the facts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tyab14 Africa : Islam, Colourism and the Myth of Black African Slave Traders All Things Africa 35
Vhedza1 Africa : Africa's Black Elite and The Anti-Colonial Mass Struggle Myth All Things Africa 0
Liberty Law Forum : Exposing the Myth of “Black on Black Crime Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
NyneElementz Black Men : The MYTH of the Absent Black Father. That's right...MYTH!! Black Men 2
Kemetstry Black People : THE MYTH OF BLACK ON BLACK CRIME Black People Open Forum 24
S Black People : Trayvon Martin & the Myth of the Criminal Black Man Black People Open Forum 4
Knowledge Seed Black Relationships : The Myth of Educated/Successful Black Women Black Relationships 5
A Black People : The Myth of the Black Curse Black People Open Forum 20
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : The Myth Of Black Power In America Chief Elder Osiris 5
Blackbird Black Spirituality Religion : Is Abraham Black, White or Just Myth!!!! Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 72
B Black People : BLACK UNITY, MYTH OR REALITY Black People Open Forum 88
R Black Relationships : Black Male Shortage - Myth or Reality? Black Relationships 295
Hamma Africa : excerpt from sacredtexts.com under the African (religion,myth section found there) All Things Africa 5
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : The Myth Was $150,000 in Fraud. The Real Story Is More Interesting African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Scientific Proof Is A Myth Science and Technology 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : Coconut oil's health benefits are a myth — here's what you should buy instead Food Discussion and Recipes 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor Just Obliterated the Bootstrap Myth Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : New Harriet Tubman visitors center in Maryland looks at abolitionist's life, myth free African American History Culture 1
Al D Black Spirituality Religion : Jesus Christ-The Creation Of A Myth Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : A Closer Look At Police Killings This Year Debunks A Big Myth About Community Violence Black People Politics 0
TruthHitman Black Spirituality Religion : The Virgin BIRTH MYTH Theory Exposed Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
RAPTOR Black People : Liberals, Trojan Horses and the Myth of Police-Community Relations Black People Open Forum 0
John Williams Black Women : Sisters, is this true or a myth...? Black Women 8
willa Black Spirituality Religion : Hmmm...So the Bible is a myth? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 275
Corvo Black People : Myth in History Black People Open Forum 0
Alarm Clock Haiti : Haiti “Pain Rush”: The Myth of White Superiority, Poverty Pimping NGOs and US Humanitarian Occupatio Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 0
MsInterpret Black Women : Woman's Intuition: Myth or Reality? Black Women 5
Keita Kenyatta Black People : The Lookout Notre Dame professor tackles ‘myth’ of Christian martyrdom Black People Open Forum 0
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : "Pagan Origins Of The Christ Myth" Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : Catholic Church 'Now' Says Adam/Eve A Myth Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 151
Keita Kenyatta Black People : (REFUTING MISSIONARIES): PART 1: THE MYTH OF THE HISTORICAL JESUS Black People Open Forum 2
ManicRaider Black Spirituality Religion : Why is the Greek Pantheon considered myth? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 21
Keita Kenyatta Black People : The Myth of the Jewish ‘Race’ Black People Open Forum 0
S Black People : AFRICVILLE: Last stop on the underground railroad.. smashing the myth of the benevolent Canadian. Black People Open Forum 7
Ankhur Black Events : First Americans Speak about the Myth of Thanksgiving now WBAI Black Events 2
S Black People : Slave Sermons (Episode 4) "The Myth of a Moral America" Black People Open Forum 2
OldSoul OldSoul : Putting an Antebellum Myth to Rest OldSoul 3
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : Paradise Myth Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 3
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : The Paradise Myth Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
RAPTOR South Africa : THE MYTH OF THE MAHATMA: M.K. GANDHI IN SOUTH AFRICA South Africa 1
C Black Relationships : Challenging the myth that sisters don't want blue collar brothers Black Relationships 21
Keita Kenyatta Egypt : Christianity is a Egyptian Myth - Horus, Isis, Mary, Jesus, God, Osiris Egypt 87
Kemetstry Black People : The Myth of Domestic Violence? Black People Open Forum 160
Kemetstry Black Relationships : ADDRESSING THE MYTH OF FATHERLESS HOMES Black Relationships 408
Ankhur Black Spirituality Religion : Are we Spiritualy Mature enough to let go of Dogma and myth? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 7
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : The Myth About The Path we Must Travel To Freedom Independence And Justice Chief Elder Osiris 0
cherryblossom Black Poetry : A Myth Of Love Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 13
Omowale Jabali Omowale Jabali : Light Beings Myth or Reality? Omowale Jabali 130
tyab14 Black People : Flying Africans? Myth or Reality Black People Open Forum 11
S Black People : WILLIE LYNCH SPEECH MYTH Black People Open Forum 8