Permanent Black Man
PREMIUM MEMBER
May 16, 2002
Bronzeville USA
www.BLACKLAND.ORG
Occupation
Staying Alive
muse brothers 4.jpg
These are the Muse Brothers. Their biological names are George and Willie Muse. They were two albino brothers; the grandsons of former slaves and sons of tobacco sharecroppers born in Roanoke, Virginia, in the 1890s.
In 1899 George and Willie Muse were kidnapped as boys in Truevine, Virginia by bounty hunters and were forced into the circus, labeled as “freak show” performers. Upon their capture, they were falsely told that their mother was dead and that they would never return home.
Their owners showcased the brothers in circuses where they were exploited for profit in so-called freak shows. The Muse Brothers became famous across the United States as “Eko and Iko”, the “White Ecuadorian Cannibals”, the “Sheep Headed Men”, the “Sheep Headed Cannibals”, the “Ministers from Dahomey” and “Ambassadors from Mars”.

OldSoul

Permanent Black Man
PREMIUM MEMBER
May 16, 2002
Bronzeville USA
www.BLACKLAND.ORG
Occupation
Staying Alive
muse brothers 2.jpg
George and Willie were forced to grow their hair into massive “dreadlocks“ which together with their white skin and bluish eyes were exhibited as rarities. They were also billed as “Darwin’s Missing Links” and “Nature’s Greatest Mistakes”. The boys were not permitted to go to school, neither were they paid for their work. They were literally kept in slavery, earning nothing despite thousands of people who paid to see them. Their only rewards were clownish attire they wore for the shows and food meant to keep the ‘assets’ alive.
One of their owners had found that George and Willie harbored the ability to play any song on almost any instrument, from the xylophone to the saxophone and mandolin, and that made them even more famous and more valuable ‘assets’ to owners of traveling circuses. However, after all this time, their illiterate mother had not ceased looking for her boys.

OldSoul

Permanent Black Man
PREMIUM MEMBER
May 16, 2002
Bronzeville USA
www.BLACKLAND.ORG
Occupation
Staying Alive
muse brothers 3.jpg
In the fall of 1927, the brothers were on a tour with Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus to Roanoke, little did the boys know they were coming home from which they had disappeared nearly three decades back. It came to their mother’s attention that The Greatest Show On Earth was in town and she was determined to find them. It was a tough decision to confront the Ringling Brothers who were powerful multimillionaires who also had the attention of the heavyweight politicians and law enforcement agencies.
Their mother tracked them down and eventually found the boys working for the Ringling Brothers circus and surprised them while they were on stage and their family reunited, 28 years later since they had gone missing in the very same town. The poor and powerless black woman stood up to police and big shot circus owners and successfully took her sons home.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
1poetsought Black Poetry : should the muse call Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
watzinaname Quiet Poetry Lounge : Is There a Muse in This? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
watzinaname Black Poetry : Muse Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 14
V Black Poetry : My MUSE Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
S Black Poetry : my muse is on haitus Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
W Black Poetry : muse Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
alyce Black Poetry : Conversation With My Muse Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
G Black Poetry : A Muse for Marc Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 28
N Black Poetry : My Muse Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
N Black Poetry : (Muse) ic Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 18
G Black Poetry : Between Us... A Muse for My Muse Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 24
alyce Black Poetry : Oxymoronic Moron (a-muse-ing) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11
Kemetstry Black Positive People : LEGALLY ARMED BROTHERS PATROL AREA WHERE ARBERY WAS KILLED Black People Doing Positive Things 1
OldSoul Black People : The Nicholas Brothers and Dorothy Dandridge - 3 Great Talents Black People Open Forum 1
OldSoul Black People : True Conviction - Some Extraordinary Brothers Black People Open Forum 3
Kemetstry Black Money Business Jobs : BROTHERS LAUNCH LUXURY CLOTHING BRAND Black Money Business Jobs 3
IFE Black People : BROTHERS’ KEEPERS AT A COST: BLACK WOMEN ON THE PROBLEM WITH REPORTING ONE OF OUR OWN Black People Open Forum 111
jamesfrmphilly Black Positive People : Bennett brothers win BET-shine-a-light-award Black People Doing Positive Things 0
IFE Black Positive People : Kid genius brothers, 11 and 14, graduate high school and college this weekend Black People Doing Positive Things 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : To the Brothers shooting Craps AACOOLDRE 0
jamesfrmphilly Health and Wellness : strong brothers dead from massive heart attacks? Black Health and Wellness 5
Al D Black People : The Soledad Brothers Black People Open Forum 0
IFE Black Positive People : Baltimore Big Brothers Program Sees 3,000 Percent Increase Black People Doing Positive Things 0
1poetsought Black Poetry : Brothers Keeper Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Kemetstry Health and Wellness : YOUNG BROTHERS NEW INVENTION Black Health and Wellness 0
Kemetstry Black Positive People : BROTHERS CHANGING THE PARADIGM Black People Doing Positive Things 1
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : YOUNG BROTHERS LAND RECORD DEAL W SONY! Black Entertainment 8
Shems Nbedjer Black People : My brothers, don't try this at home!!!! Black People Open Forum 1
S Black People : Koch Brothers Exposed: 2014 Edition Black People Open Forum 0
GodofTomorrow Black Men : Black Brothers are Gods In the Making Black Men 9
cherryblossom Audio Video Web Conferencing : Jesus is Just Alright - Doobie Brothers Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
CosmicMessenger Audio Video Web Conferencing : The Williams Brothers - I'm Still Here Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Ulysses E Taylor Black Short Stories : BROTHERS Short Stories - Authors - Writing 86
Alarm Clock Audio Video Web Conferencing : Summer Breeze, Isley Brothers Audio Video Web Conferencing 2
Alarm Clock Audio Video Web Conferencing : Happy Father's Day to the brothers at Destee! Song for My Father; Horace Silver Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
NecessaryChaos The Front Porch : Hello Brothers and Sisters The Front Porch 10
Asomfwaa Black Children : Brothers got hops . . .. Black Children 5
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Could This Be Why Some Chechens Think Tsarnaev Brothers Were Framed for Bombings? Black People Open Forum 29
cherryblossom Black Spirituality Religion : The Dhamma Brothers Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
chuck Black Men : What Do We Ask Or Expect Of Our Young Black Brothers? Black Men 13
Keita Kenyatta Black People : These Brothers Are Crazy Up Here...and Now they Are in Jail...including the Camera Man!! Black People Open Forum 18
Kemetstry Audio Video Web Conferencing : STREETWAVE, BROTHERS JOHNSON Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Bronner Brothers: Beauty Care is a Recession Proof Business Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 1
A Audio Video Web Conferencing : Beautiful black Princess by White head brothers nice song Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : THE ISLEY BROTHERS - ITS YOUR THING Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
NyneElementz Black Relationships : Sisters: Brothers with Potential vs. Ready Made,Men - which do you really prefer and why? Black Relationships 3
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : The Brothers Johnson - Stomp! Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Destee Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Who Employs Brothers With Long Dreads / Locks? Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 12
cherryblossom Black Positive People : David McGhee: Big Brothers/Big Sisters Black People Doing Positive Things 1
$$RICH$$ Black Men : Strong brothers (rides by the dozen) Black Men 2