Black People : The Lessons of Life

river

Watch Her Flow
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
If we have lived for any length of time we will notice that life doesn’t teach everybody the same lesson at the same time in each person’s life. Many times when life seems to be teaching us one thing as soon as we feel we have learned our lesson life turns around and teaches us something else totally opposite. This is the way the mind moves toward balance. As humans we often take things to an extreme, mistaking extremity for sincerity and seriousness.

The sudden passing of our sista Queen may have driven home for many of us the lesson that tomorrow is not promised. We tend to take tomorrow for granted putting things off as if we have forever to live. That is one lesson but it is not the sole lesson of life. While it is true tomorrow is not promised to anyone we must still trust in the possibility of tomorrow, otherwise we may find ourselves taking quixotic actions, overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of all the things we want to do plus all the things other people say we should do and we may feel guilty whenever we sit down to rest.

I look at myself. I have a PhD in procrastination. My mother will tell you when I’m at her house and she asks me to get something for her from the bedroom I will find ten things to do before I get to the bed room. I should read more. There is so much knowledge and I feel embarrassed by all the books my friends at Destee have read. But when I sit down to read I feel like why am I reading this? I have a gift to write. People cry over the things I write. I am wasting my gift reading this person who has already done their writing. I need to do mine. So I sit down to write. When we the last time I vacuumed the floor? I should call so and so. I should visit my neighbor. I should be doing this. I need to do that. I wind up throwing up my hands and playing solitaire for the rest of the say.

If I could just set priorities. Just focus on one thing. a lot a certain amount of time to each thing and in each allotment of time do that one thing without being distracted by thoughts of other things. Do this today and do that tomorrow. But…but…but suppose tomorrow never comes? Suppose I die tonight? Well if I allow my mind to overflow itself with anxiety and worry and frustration I just may die tonight. So chill. I did not create the universe and it’s not up to me to figure everything out. If I am only able to do one thing a day then that is what I am supposed to be doing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
IFE Black Positive People : Teacher creates "Gentleman's Club" to teach life lessons to boys Black People Doing Positive Things 2
Al D Black Short Stories : Life Lessons (Good Wolf, Bad Wolf) Short Stories - Authors - Writing 3
D African dance master teaches life lessons Black Parenting 0
N Black People : life lessons Black People Open Forum 3
P Black Spirituality Religion : Elihu's Lessons-- The Unity of Life Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : CRITICAL LESSONS FROM DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING FOR THESE TIMES African American History Culture 0
HODEE Black People : Lessons-we-can-learn-from Toni Morrison Black People Open Forum 0
IFE Black Ancestors : 5 Lessons From Martin Luther King Jr. To Apply To Trump’s America Honoring Black Ancestors 3
IFE Black People Politics : 5 Lessons From Martin Luther King Jr. To Apply To Trump’s America Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : The Bible Has No Place In Modern America: Sobering Lessons from Donald Trump and Kim Burrell Christian Study Group 1
Queenie Law Forum : Hillary Clinton's Email Protocol: Lessons in eDiscovery. Say what? Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Liberty Black Education / Schools : New York Teacher Claims She Was Fired For Lessons On The Central Park Five Black Education / Schools 13
RAPTOR Black People Politics : From Watts to Ferguson: 50 Years of Lessons (Not) Learned Black People Politics 3
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : Natural Hair Lessons Learned: Part I Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
TotalView Black Poetry : lessons passed down Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
1poetsought Black Poetry : FLYING LESSONS ~ Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Amnat77 Black People : Texas schools board rewrites US history with lessons promoting God and guns Black People Open Forum 5
T Egypt : ? Biblical Lessons from Ancient EGYPT? Egypt 57
Blackbird Black Spirituality Religion : Lessons Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 30
Zulile Black People : Lessons for African Psychotherapy Black People Open Forum 4
T Black People : Lessons from Baba Rashidi Black People Open Forum 2
P Zimbabwe : Zimbabwe planning Chinese lessons Zimbabwe 21
Isaiah Black People : LESSONS IN COUNTER INTELLIGENCE *COINTELPRO... Black People Open Forum 11
info-moetry Black Spirituality Religion : THE INFINITY LESSONS ............. Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
L Black Entertainment : i,m starting hopefully also with piano lessons in april ..... Black Entertainment 0
P Pan-Africanism : Lessons in the African Diaspora: studying Blacks in areas other than Africa & the US Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 8
V Black Poetry : piano lessons Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 16
D Black Poetry : My 'Self' Lessons Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
K Black Haiku : Lessons in Anatomy Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
G Black Poetry : The Lessons of Doom Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
R Black Poetry : the fireworks under her skirt may explode her wet pound cake ready ate on a plate my car is nice but far on in life wants a Cadillac my quotes best th Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : $24 million spent on Fort Worth toddler’s life support; hospital says Texas may intervene Black Health and Wellness 0
Orisons Black People : The biggest financial success in your life to date is? Black People Open Forum 1
Fine1952 Black Short Stories : "The Coldest Winter Ever: Life After Death" Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Travel : For Black Americans, a Heritage Trip to West Africa Can Be Life-Changing Black Travel 0
R Black Poetry : SHE SAID: now I'm a down for life red-bone boys wanna kiss my lips and head home they love my skin-tone, correct and hot tonight lips reflect a lot of Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : John Gray reveals he 'sat down' from leading Relentless Church to get his life in order Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
G Black Spirituality Religion : I Hope My Life Is Better In The Next Life. Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 6
OldSoul Black People : Chadwick "T'Challa" Boseman - A Life Lived With Courage Black People Open Forum 2
HODEE Black People : Martin Luther King, Jr., "What Is Your Life's Blueprint?" This is the first time the speech has been published in its entirety. Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Law Forum : Chances of African Americans ( LIFE ) Historically have been Shaped by Race. Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 3
C Black People : Oh But For The Life Of Me Black People Open Forum 0
Al D Black People : HOW TO SUCCEED IN LIFE-Billionaire Dan Pena Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black Ancestors : REV. DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING Jr. - " WHAT IS YOUR LIFE'S BLUEPRINT " OUR BLUEPRINT to JUSTICE Honoring Black Ancestors 2
R Black Poetry : Walk around on the street dizzy have to keep busy my girl name Lizzy stuff in life no doubt double but his duty is to stay out of trouble see a girl “ Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : Sex is not a profession could raise complex questions when trouble need advice could end up having a double life now too much rubble wrong price see a Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
C Black People : From Sun Rise To Sun Set Living Life Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Life on Detroit's 8 Mile Wall, a vestige of US racial segregation African American History Culture 0
Al D Africa : African artist speaks to life and remembrance in art All Things Africa 0
candeesweet Black Poetry : Life's Line Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0