Black Muslims : The Holy Qu'ran

abdurratln

Feb 27, 2007
Let me quickluy go through Ayat 96:4-5. This completes the Revelation that was received at Muhammd's first encounter with Gabriel.

Surah al-Alaq to Ayat 5 is as follows:

(1)Read: In the name of thy Lord Who createth,
(2) Createth man from a clot.
(3) Read: And thy Lord is the Most Bounteous,
(4) Who teacheth by the pen,
(5) Teacheth man that which he knew not.

Here it is in Arabic:

رَأۡ بِٱسۡمِ رَبِّكَ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَ (١)
خَلَقَ ٱلۡإِنسَـٰنَ مِنۡ عَلَقٍ (٢)
ٱقۡرَأۡ وَرَبُّكَ ٱلۡأَكۡرَمُ (٣)
ٱلَّذِى عَلَّمَ بِٱلۡقَلَمِ (٤)
عَلَّمَ ٱلۡإِنسَـٰنَ مَا لَمۡ يَعۡلَمۡ (٥)

Transliterated, it is as follows:

1. Iqra/ bi-ismi rabbika allathee khalaqa

2. Khalaqa al-insana min AAalaqin

3. Iqra/ warabbuka al-akramu

4. Allathee AAallama bialqalami

5. AAallama al-insana ma lam yaAAlam

We have already covered uop to Ayat 4. In Ayat 5, the new letters introduced are Nun (ن‎) as in al-insanna (ٱلۡإِنسَـٰنَ), Mim (ﻡ‎) as in all the3 other words in the Ayat for example as in the last word Yaaalam (يَعۡلَمۡ ) Sad (ـصـ‎)as in al-insana (ٱلۡإِنسَـٰنَ) and Ya (ـي‎) as in Yaaalam (يَعۡلَمۡ ) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_alphabet).

So we learn that Allah taught mankind how to read and write. And he taught us Enlightment as opposed to ignorance and darkness. Thus, Islam civilizes mankind.

abdurratln

Feb 27, 2007
BismiLLah ir-Rhan ir-Rahim,
I must edit this to correct a serious mistake. We have gone through the first five Ayats of Quran. Before we go further, let me refer back to Ayat 3 in which we will find this word: ٱلۡأَكۡرَمُ . Cut and paste the word into "word". Paste three-four copies.

Now, using your backspace key strike one time until you get this: ٱلۡأَ. Notice that ' representing Fatha as in "a' has been removed leaving Min (ﻡ‎) in its final form. Strike again and the Min is removed leaving Ra (ـر‎)in its final form with Fatha above it. Strike again and the Fatha is removed. Again, and we have Kaf (ـك‎) is final form with Fatha above it. Next we get Kaf (ﻙ‎) without Fatha. Next we get this: ٱلۡأَ.

Put ٱلۡأَ is large fonts so that yoyu can see clearly what happens when it is reduced further: ٱلۡأَ Be sure to keep it in "word". Notice that there is a small z-shape symbol attached at the top of Kaf (ـكـ‎). The z-shape is due to the z-sahpe in the stand alone isolated form of Kaf (ﻙ‎). By seeing the z-shape, we know we have Qaf (ﻙ‎) and not Lam (ـلـ‎, medial, ﻝ‎ isolated stand alone). The final letter is Alif (ا‎).

Reading from right to left, we have Alif, Lam and Kaf. Then comes Ra and Mim agian. The word is Akram which is usually translated as bountiful.

The difficulties we have with this word underscores the necessity of studying Quran in Arabic as we become more serious about Islam. One of the reasons I read it incorrectly when I with my first attempt is because bountiful is so similar to beneficent in English. In Arabic beneficent is often transalted as Rahman. Clearly Rahman and Akram are important enough in Arabic to require two distinct words, not realy similar words. When I confused bountiful with beneficent, my mind forced me to look for Rahman. When I went through the word letter by letter, I was surprised not to find the Ha (ﺡ‎) of Rahman. But, the z-shape in Kaf (ﻙ‎) appeared to be Ha (ـحـ‎) Being distracted and in a rush, I made a rather serious blunder. Happily, I was able to catch it before too much damage was done. Notice also that Kaf (ﻙ‎) is similar in sound to Qaf (ﻕ‎). Insallah, we will get better as we go along.

The point of this exercise is twofold. One, I have learned that we can use this technoliogy to help us understand and learn Arabic. Two, in writeen scriopt, Arabic letters are some time attached to the top of Lam. In very small font, it is ofetn difficult to see the attached letter. So, beginning students of Arabic are often confused and frustatrated in their attempts to read a given word. Thanks to mirosoft, we can use the technolgy to help us figure difficult to understand Arabic words.

Next, we will cover the second part of Surah Al-Alaq.

abdurratln

Feb 27, 2007
A Note on Transliteration

The Arabic alphabet has 28 letters as compared to 27 for the Roman. Plus, there are the Arabic vowells. This means that there are more phonetics and sounds to vocalize and read in Arabic than in English. So. let's take a few minutes to see how this can affect our efforts to learn Arabic.

Let's go to Surah al-Fatiha, Ayat 1:4. Find the word na'budu (نَعۡبُدُ) In the Arabic script (http://www.quranexplorer.com/Quran/Default.aspx) Now, find a transliteration of Surah al-Fathia, an internet version will serve our purposes well. In this system of transliteration, notice the ‘ sign in na’budu (http://www.seasons-of-peace.net/opening/fatiha.htm) In other systems, it is spelled thusly: naAAbudu (http://www.searchtruth.com/chapter_display.php?chapter=1&translator=6) So, there is really no agreed upon system to transliterate Arabic into the Roman alphabet.

The point to be made, however, is that there is more than one “A” sound in Arabic. Thus the ‘ in the first transliteration stands for an “A” which cannot be represented in Roman. So, the ‘ is used instead.
Now, go to the Arabic alphabet and review it. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_alphabet).

Notice that the first “A” is Alif (ا‎). The next “A” is Ayn (ﻉ‎). So, we have at least TWO “A’s” in Arabic, not just one. Notice the ‘ in front of Ayn in the Wikipedia system of transliteration. We will see this often in reading transliterated Arabic, but not always.

But, there is yet a third “A” in Arabic. That one is called fatha and LOOKS LIKE THIS: ‘ IN ARABIC. Also, a fourth way to make the “A” sound is to place a fata (‘) above Ya (ﻱ)
In other systems, it is spelled thusly: naAAbudu (http://www.searchtruth.com/chapter_display.php?chapter=1&translator=6) So, there is really no agreed upon system to transliterate Arabic into the Roman alphabet.

But, there is yet a third “A” in Arabic. That one is called fatha and LOOKS LIKE THIS: ‘ IN ARABIC. Also, a fourth way to make the “A” sound is to place a fata (‘) above Ya (ى). This is called fatḥa ʾalif maqṣūra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_alphabet)

To pronounce na'budu (نَعۡبُدُ), it is very important to know that you must pronounce TWO SYLLABLES for "na'". Most beginners see the two "A's" as one, and pronouce it as one syllable. That is incorrect and a native speaker wuld probably not understand what you are trying to say. So, be very conscious about saying "Na" slight pause and '. The "a" in "na" sounds like the "a" in "car". The ' also sounds similar. So the correct pronounciation it "na" ' "bu" du" Or. it is similar to saying "na" "a" "bu" "du". That would be close and understandable.

But, one last note: to hear these sounds of Ayn as in the word na’budu, you may go to Quran Exploerer to hear a native speaker (http://www.quranexplorer.com/Quran/Default.aspx) Hearing it is audio is prabbly the best way to come to understand the various Arabic sounds not available in English. This is just one example. We will see more as we go along,

cherryblossom

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
REVIEW AND RECAP....

... this particular forum ... ...... is for those Members who believe, and want to discuss it with others that believe the same.

It's not for those of you that want to prove them wrong.

While none of this has been officially established yet, i'm thinking, it's going to be the only way to go ... or else ... those of you who think others are so wrong in their beliefs, will inundate them with your opposing views ... and in so doing ... deny them the opportunity to discuss in relative peace and tranquility, that which they believe.

We do have the main Spirituality Religion Forum, where everything can be challenged.

Please speak to the threads there, or even, start your own threads disproving, if you are so inclined ... but stay out of this one with the opposing views.

Thanks in advance.
... this has .... everything to do with the lack of respect for management request's and forum rules.

This section here is provided for study group. Where members who subscribe to a specific system...can come together, discuss, and study their system without negating energies.

We have many other forums which are open for debate and questioning. The same here would be warranted you had you open dialogue in a specific study group within this forum.

Sister Destee is also correct in her statement you've quoted. She is, and everyone else are free to participate in all other forums respectfully, and won't be held accountable for the disrespect others direct towards them. But this here study group has specific outlines which differs from all the other forums.

We as management have notice the indifferences of members, when other members of certain belief system share their belief. This is why this area was created. So they can openly discuss it with like minds without the harassment of non-subscribing members.

If you haven't already read "The Core Foundational Pieces of Destee" , I've provided a link below. I hope you can find it within to honor our request, and understand the reasoning behind it. However, if you can not, violating such request will be discussed and evaluated by the moderating team.

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59361

:heart:
... all of the forums in this area ... Black/African Study of Spiritual Belief Systems ... are for the advocates of those life paths, definitely not for those who are in opposition to those paths. This relatively new area of our community was created so those who want to study with like-minded folk, would have a peaceful place to do that, free of the opposition that often presents itself.

I suppose this is a bit of a bend in my position, that everyone is welcome to post to every thread, in that ...
you can't post to any threads in that area, if you are bringing counter positions to those discussions.

Again, it's all kinda new to us, actually using those areas, having to feel our way toward manifesting its purpose for being.

Please though, don't feel as though you are limited in challenging / questioning anything you'd like, for you most certainly are not. You just need to put it in the main Spirituality / Religion Forum, where Spiritual / Religious challenges are welcome.

Also, if you'd like to see a life path included in the
Black/African Study of Spiritual Belief Systems that is not represented in the group already listed, let us know, for they all receive this same consideration.

If you have more questions, let me know.
I don't know any other way to explain this. Yes, you all are welcome to disagree with anything you see here. However, the Religious/Spiritual study forum is for those who want to learn more about their subscribed systems.

It is not open to debate, scrutiny, disagreement, or any other negating energies within those specific study areas.

If you disagree with something within a study area, post a new thread outside of the study forum. Present your truths, opinions, objections there.

The thing is, we have two spiritual/religion forums. One is for study purposes, the other is open for debate, disagreements, and our questioning. Present your challenges in the latter area.

Sometimes i think we just fuss for the sake of fussing. Here you have a space to speak out and disagree, yet because you can not do it in a particular area, "somethings very wrong, truth is ignored, claims of censorship is shouted from the mountain side." smh

*note to self: no matter what you do, there will be those who disagree*

:heart:

abdurratln

Feb 27, 2007
I do not know if I am missing something or not. I do not see any problems. We are discussing Quran. In my opinion, and in the opinion of most Islamic scholars, this is best done from a basic knowledge of Arabic. So, I used Surah Al-Alaq as a means to intrtoduce Arabic to those of us who have no previous knowledge of how to deal with it. I think I have accomplished that purpose a lot sooner than I expected. But, I know that people do not know Arabic yet. But, I think I have provided the tools that are needed to begin a process of learning it. I too am still learning it. But, I can still discuss whatever questions or issues that anyone may have. If I do not know the answer, I do have access to scholars who can and will help us to find the correct answer. Through such a process, we all learn. We all become better people, better Africans, better citizens.

abdurratln

Feb 27, 2007
Review

I think we have managed to provide the basic necessary tools to enable ANYONE to begin to learn Arabic without much difficulty except to put in some time to study. I have provided links to audios from which we can hear Recitaion of Quran by a native speaker of Arabic. This outstanding service has been made availbale to us by the people of Saudi Arabia. I have also provided above links to transliteration of Quran so that we can read it in Roman in order to learn the words which will in term enable us to better read the Arabic script. There are links to good English translations, as well. By following Surah al-Alaq for the first five Ayats, we have learned that what it says is true.

Allah told us to Read. Muhammad respeonded that he could not read. So, he was told agian to Read in the name of Our Lord Who Taught Mankind the use of the pen, how tp read and write. And we are Told that doing so, Our Lord is Most Bountiful. In other words, if we just take the initiative to try, we will learn Arabic and be able to study Quran without all of the confusions and issues that arise due to translation into an inadaquate language: English.

These first Five Ayats were the very frist words Revealed to Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him). It has been said that he was confused at first. But, over a period of some months, he came to understand what God had Commanded him to do. At this point, the remainder of Surah Al-Alaq was revealed. Next, we shall begin to study the remainding Ayats of Surah Al-Alaq.

abdurratln

Feb 27, 2007
The next two Ayats of Surah Al-Alaq are as follows:

كَلَّآ إِنَّ ٱلۡإِنسَـٰنَ لَيَطۡغَىٰٓ (٦)
أَن رَّءَاهُ ٱسۡتَغۡنَىٰٓ (٧)

(5)Nay, but verily man is rebellious
(6) That he thinketh himself independent!

Let us start by reading it is transliteration. This will help us to know what it says in Arabic and making it easier for us to identify the Arabic letters involved:

6. Kalla inna al-insana layatgha

7. An raahu istaghna

Remember also that if we have difficulty with the symbols involved, copy and paste the word into “Microsoft word”. Use the back spacer to remove one symbol at a time to so that we can see how the letters change form and how the subscript affects each letter. As we go on, we will learn how the subscript also affects the grammer.

Basically, it is being Revealed to us that Mankind has gone astray because he has forgotten his dependence on the One Who Created mankind in the first place. This builds on what was revealed to us earlier when we learned that Allah taught Mankind how to read and write. I think it is safe to assume that this ability to read and write is what seperates mankind from ther lower forms of animal. Therefore, again, it is only human to learn languages such as Arabic that will enable us to communicate with Africans and with Muslims all over the world.

abdurratln

Feb 27, 2007
Just for fun

Just for fun, I will build up the above two Ayats one symbol at a time. Notice the various forms that each letter takes as it becomes the final letter. Notice also how the subscript affects ths consonanats.

كَلّ
(Notice the w-shape swiggle. This indicates a prolonged sound. The Lam should be dragged out as if it is two oe more Lams.
كَلَّ
I am not familiar with this new symbol. Perhaps someone can explain it to us.
كَلَّا
كَلَّآ
كَلَّآ إِنَّ
كَلَّآ إِنَّٱ
كَلَّآ إِنَّ ٱ
كَلَّآ إِنَّ ٱل
كَلَّآ إِنَّ ٱلۡ
كَلَّآ إِنَّ ٱلۡإِنس
كَلَّآ إِنَّ ٱلۡإِنسَـٰن
(The dot over the last letter indicates Nun.)
كَلَّآ إِنَّ ٱلۡإِنسَـٰنَ
كَلَّآ إِنَّ ٱلۡإِنسَـٰنَ لَيٓ
(Notice the ‘ above the Ya. This indicates the “a” sound as in car.)
كَلَّآ إِنَّ ٱلۡإِنسَـٰنَ لَيَٓ
I am not familiar with the new symbol. Help anyone.
كَلَّآ إِنَّ ٱلۡإِنسَـٰنَ لَيَطۡٓ
ككَلَّآ إِنَّ ٱلۡإِنسَـٰنَ لَيَطۡغَٓ
كَلَّآ إِنَّ ٱلۡإِنسَـٰنَ لَيَطۡغَىٰٓ
أَ
أَن
أَن رّ
أَن رََّ
أَن رَّءَٓ
أَن رَّءَاهُ
أَن رَّءَاهُ ٱسۡٓ
أَن رَّءَاهُ ٱسۡتَٰ
أَن رَّءَاهُ ٱسۡتَغۡنَٓ
أَن رَّءَاهُ ٱسۡتَغۡنَىٰٓ

abdurratln

Feb 27, 2007

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
Implementation and Sustainment
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.
It's okay to admire otherz, but first, love self. ELEVATE your self-image by having a healthy love & respect for yourself. ✍