Permanent Black Man
PREMIUM MEMBER
May 16, 2002
Bronzeville USA
www.BLACKLAND.ORG
Occupation
Staying Alive
The Hill We Climb - Amanda Gorman
"When day comes, we ask ourselves, where can we find light in this never-ending shade?
The loss we carry. A sea we must wade.
We braved the belly of the beast.
We’ve learned that quiet isn’t always peace, and the norms and notions of what “just” is isn’t always justice.
And yet the dawn is ours before we knew it.
Somehow we do it.
Somehow we weathered and witnessed a nation that isn’t broken, but simply unfinished.
We, the successors of a country and a time where a skinny Black girl descended from slaves and raised by a single mother can dream of becoming president, only to find herself reciting for one.
And, yes, we are far from polished, far from pristine, but that doesn’t mean we are striving to form a union that is perfect.
We are striving to forge our union with purpose.
To compose a country committed to all cultures, colors, characters and conditions of man.
And so we lift our gaze, not to what stands between us, but what stands before us.
We close the divide because we know to put our future first, we must first put our differences aside.
We lay down our arms so we can reach out our arms to one another.
We seek harm to none and harmony for all.
Let the globe, if nothing else, say this is true.
That even as we grieved, we grew.
That even as we hurt, we hoped.
That even as we tired, we tried.
That we’ll forever be tied together, victorious.
Not because we will never again know defeat, but because we will never again sow division.
Scripture tells us to envision that everyone shall sit under their own vine and fig tree, and no one shall make them afraid.
If we’re to live up to our own time, then victory won’t lie in the blade, but in all the bridges we’ve made.
That is the promise to glade, the hill we climb, if only we dare.
It’s because being American is more than a pride we inherit.
It’s the past we step into and how we repair it.
We’ve seen a force that would shatter our nation, rather than share it.
Would destroy our country if it meant delaying democracy.
And this effort very nearly succeeded.
But while democracy can be periodically delayed, it can never be permanently defeated.
In this truth, in this faith we trust, for while we have our eyes on the future, history has its eyes on us.
This is the era of just redemption.
We feared at its inception.
We did not feel prepared to be the heirs of such a terrifying hour.
But within it we found the power to author a new chapter, to offer hope and laughter to ourselves.
So, while once we asked, how could we possibly prevail over catastrophe, now we assert, how could catastrophe possibly prevail over us?
We will not march back to what was, but move to what shall be: a country that is bruised but whole, benevolent but bold, fierce and free.
We will not be turned around or interrupted by intimidation because we know our inaction and inertia will be the inheritance of the next generation, become the future.
Our blunders become their burdens.
But one thing is certain.
If we merge mercy with might, and might with right, then love becomes our legacy and change our children’s birthright.
So let us leave behind a country better than the one we were left.
Every breath from my bronze-pounded chest, we will raise this wounded world into a wondrous one.
We will rise from the golden hills of the West.
We will rise from the windswept Northeast where our forefathers first realized revolution.
We will rise from the lake-rimmed cities of the Midwestern states.
We will rise from the sun-baked South.
We will rebuild, reconcile, and recover.
And every known nook of our nation and every corner called our country, our people diverse and beautiful, will emerge battered and beautiful.
When day comes, we step out of the shade of flame and unafraid.
The new dawn balloons as we free it.
For there is always light, if only we’re brave enough to see it.

If only we’re brave enough to be it."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Joe Biden Expresses Regret to Anita Hill, but She Says ‘I’m Sorry’ Is Not Enough Black People Politics 0
OldSoul Black People : Marc Lamont Hill at UN calls for Free Palestine - Fired by CNN Black People Open Forum 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Egypt : Ancient Egypt: Mysterious 2,600-year-old Temple/Statues Point to Holy Site at Hill of the Pharaohs Egypt 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : CNN's Marc Lamont Hill Called Steve Harvey and MLK III 'Mediocre Negroes' Black People Politics 44
Writspirit Black People : R&B Group Dru Hill Making An Appearance in the Bronx Black People Open Forum 0
Writspirit Black People : Show with Dru Hill on BlakeRadio.com Black People Open Forum 0
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : GIL HILL DIES Black Entertainment 5
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : Candace Hill - Meet The 16 Year Old Who Just Became U.S.’s Fastest Girl Ever Black Sports 2
shaka64 Black People : Lauryn Hill Releases a Chilling Dedication to Michael Brown Black People Open Forum 1
shaka64 Black People : Marc Lamont Hill Named Distinguished Professor At Morehouse Black People Open Forum 1
shaka64 Black People : Marc Lamont Hill Responds To Critics Over Lupita 'Fetish' Controversy Black People Open Forum 198
shaka64 Black Entertainment : IRS after Lauryn Hill Again Black Entertainment 2
shaka64 Black People : Lauryn Hill Ordered by the Court to Undergo “Counseling” for Conspiracy Beliefs Black People Open Forum 27
RAPTOR Black People : ANITA Trailer (Anita Hill Documentary Film - 2014) Black People Open Forum 0
MS234 Jails / Prisons : Lauryn Hill announces first post-prison tour date in New York City Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 5
S Audio Video Web Conferencing : Tabatha Takes Over - 4x03 - Beyond Hair Salon and Spa, Cherry Hill Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Destee Black People : Miriam Carey - 34 Year Old Dental Hygienist - Died in White House / Capitol Hill Shooting Black People Open Forum 138
Alarm Clock Audio Video Web Conferencing : The Fool on the Hill; Brazil 66 Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Alarm Clock Audio Video Web Conferencing : Neurotic Society; Lauryn Hill Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : Lauryn Hill Attacked For Anti Gay Lyrics Black Entertainment 12
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Lauryn Hill Dropping Truth To The Youth Back In 2000! [Rare Footage] Black People Open Forum 2
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : LAURYN HILL SENTENCED FOR INCOME TAX EVASION Black Entertainment 3
jamesfrmphilly Black Entertainment : lauryn hill….new stuff Black Entertainment 5
legit-writer Black People : Lauryn Hill Threat Black People Open Forum 7
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Lauryn Hill feat Tanya Blount - His Eye On the Sparrow Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : Nas feat Lauryn Hill - If I Ruled The World Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
PurpleMoons Audio Video Web Conferencing : Lauryn Hill - I Find It Hard to Say (Rebel) - Legendado PT BR Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
PurpleMoons Audio Video Web Conferencing : Lauryn Hill - Freedom time MTV Unplugged 2.0 Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : LAURYN HILL - TELL HIM Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : Nothing Even Matters - Lauryn Hill & D'Angelo Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : Beauty- Dru Hill Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
Mercyless1803 Black Entertainment : Lauryn Hill faces federal tax charges Black Entertainment 8
Keita Kenyatta Black Entertainment : Lauryn Hill Exposing The Industry Black Entertainment 9
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Lauryn Hill - Speaks Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Mary J. Blidge feat. Lauryn Hill - All that i can say Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Lauryn Hill - Sweetest Thing Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Lauryn Hill, Everything is Everything Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Dru hill feat. Jermaine dupri & Da brat - Sleeping in my bed Audio Video Web Conferencing 2
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Dru Hill - In My Bed Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Lauryn Hill - Cant take my eyes off of you Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Black-king Black Entertainment : Lauren Hill "Get out" Black Entertainment 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : AZ- Sugar Hill Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Lauryn Hill - Everything Is Everything Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Nas Feat. Lauryn Hill - If I Ruled The World (Imagine That) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
S Black Entertainment : ART: "I Just Want You Around" by Lauryn Hill Black Entertainment 4
cherryblossom Black Entertainment : Z.Z. Hill Black Entertainment 3
S Black Entertainment : Rebel: Lauryn Hill Black Entertainment 10
E Black People : Justice Thomas' wife seeks apology from Anita Hill ! Black People Open Forum 13
B Black Entertainment : Dru Hill and Sisqó Black Entertainment 2
Amnat77 Black Entertainment : NEW SONG Lauryn Hill & Ron Isley | Close To You (2010, Original) Black Entertainment 3