Black Spirituality Religion : "The Ebony Exodus Project: Why Some Black Women Are Walking Out on Religion—and Others Should Too"

RAPTOR

Registered
Sep 12, 2009
Published on Sep 15, 2013
Candace L. M. Gorham, LPC, discusses her new book, The Ebony Exodus Project: Why Some Black Women Are Walking Out on Religion—and Others Should Too. Drawing on her own past experience as an evangelical minister and her present work as a secular counselor and researcher, she makes a direct connection between the church and the plight of black women, who are the single most religious demographic in the United States, yet among the poorest, least educated, and least healthy groups in the nation. Through interviews with African-American women who have left the church, the author reveals the shame and suffering often caused by the church—and the resulting happiness, freedom, and sense of purpose these women have felt upon walking away from it. She calls on other black women to honestly reflect on their relationship with religion and challenges them to consider that perhaps the answers to their problems rest not inside a church, but in themselves.

GodofTomorrow

Registered
Jan 8, 2014
I hope she goes on to say that spirituality is still, in effect, an answer for these women-- just not the spirituality they've been given. Many a time I've seen religious people jump into atheism, only to become equally dogmatic in their belief to science.

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Registered
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
Published on Sep 15, 2013
Candace L. M. Gorham, LPC, discusses her new book, The Ebony Exodus Project: Why Some Black Women Are Walking Out on Religion—and Others Should Too. Drawing on her own past experience as an evangelical minister and her present work as a secular counselor and researcher, she makes a direct connection between the church and the plight of black women, who are the single most religious demographic in the United States, yet among the poorest, least educated, and least healthy groups in the nation. Through interviews with African-American women who have left the church, the author reveals the shame and suffering often caused by the church—and the resulting happiness, freedom, and sense of purpose these women have felt upon walking away from it. She calls on other black women to honestly reflect on their relationship with religion and challenges them to consider that perhaps the answers to their problems rest not inside a church, but in themselves.

Good for them!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : WIFE AND GEORGE LUCAS SEEK JET/EBONY ARCHIVES Black Entertainment 2
Kemetstry Black Money Business Jobs : EBONY & JET OUT OF BUSINESS Black Money Business Jobs 2
Liberty Black People Politics : What African-Americans Have to Lose From Trump’s Budget Plan Read more at EBONY http://www.ebony.com Black People Politics 0
Liberty Black Money Business Jobs : Johnson Publishing sells Ebony, Jet magazines to Texas firm Black Money Business Jobs 14
Al D Black Poetry : Ebony Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Ivory vs Ebony - Hatfields vs McCoys - Bloods vs Crips AACOOLDRE 8
ckoolbreez Black People : Free 1-Year Ebony Subscription No money! No commitment! Black People Open Forum 3
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Rick James & Smokey Robinson - Ebony Eyes Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : EBONY Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
cherryblossom Black People : Will Ebony Magazine Die? Black People Open Forum 11
U Black Poetry : My Ebony Dream Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
Writspirit Black People : Ebony and Jet Facing Financial Difficulties Black People Open Forum 9
E Black Poetry : We the People of Ebony Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
P Quiet Poetry Lounge : Ebony is She(Title Inspired by Virgolovin) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
L Black Poetry : This Ebony Queen Needs Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 14
D Destee Network : EbonyFriends.com - The Premier Ebony Dating Community. Destee Network : 0
C Black Education / Schools : Free Black College Guide Available - Courtesy of EBONY Magazine Black Education / Schools 0
$ Black Relationships : apology: Ebony and Ivory Black Relationships 1
$ Black Relationships : Ebony and Ivory Black Relationships 3
P Black People : Founder of Ebony, Jet magazines dies Black People Open Forum 3
S Destee Network : Black Folks Zone- Ebony Haus Destee Network : 1
A Black Short Stories : EBONY~n~ LOVE (yay its decided) Short Stories - Authors - Writing 4
K Black Poetry : Ebony Coasts (Black Woman) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
M Black Poetry : ***EBONY GENESIS: .......... Echo's from tha Womb*** Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 16
I Black People : Is there any hope for Ebony Conscious People? Black People Open Forum 16
N Black Relationships : Is there any hope for Ebony male/female unions? Black Relationships 182
1poetsought Black Poetry : Ebony-Queen-Goddess Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 14
ASHANTA Black Poetry : The Sweet Smell of Perfume Satan With A Laced Ebony Queen Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
ASHANTA Black Poetry : Beyond The Universe Cried The Black Man To The Ebony Queen Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
ASHANTA Black Poetry : The Birth Of A Ebony Son Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
M Black Poetry : ~Soaken Ebony~ Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
K Black Poetry : Ebony Coasts Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
A Black Poetry : The Ebony Romancer Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
A Black Poetry : The Sea of Choices and the Unwanted Ebony Queen Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
cocobutterskyn Black Poetry : Ebony Bruthas~Here is My Light~ Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 13
A Black Poetry : Ebony Dancer Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
M Black Poetry : Mocha-Tinted Ebony Man Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
R Black Poetry : EXODUS#4 One day Moses observe how the HEBREWS served pharaoh with slave labor the people needed a savior MOSES had nothing great to say as he awaken Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : EXODUS #3 stays in the biblical confines for days at a time brain pure tonight so sure to write this online Son of Jacob a Levi man married a Levite g Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : EXODUS#2 but on the lives of the Israelis he squeezed even though oppressed they multiplied working for Pharaoh is no glory ride had sex every cha Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : very alert to literary work in the book of EXODUS its complex just to think shook with the holy word, JACOB and his sons went to EGYPT, many extreme k Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : THE SLAYING OF MEN BY HATHOR: Its relationship to the Golden Calf Story in Exodus 32 AACOOLDRE 1
Liberty African American History Culture : The African-American Exodus From San Francisco African American History Culture 40
Liberty Black People Politics : Black Exodus: Why Are So Many African-Americans Leaving The RNC? Black People Politics 5
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Exodus based on Ahmose expelling the Hyksos AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Exodus movie & the Farrakhan Trap AACOOLDRE 1
jamesfrmphilly Egypt : egypt bans exodus movie...... Egypt 4
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Hornet (Wasp): the 2nd Exodus AACOOLDRE 0
journeytothesource Egypt : Exodus: Gods and Kings – Where are the Black Egyptians? Egypt 51
I Black People Politics : Exodus: Inner-City Blacks Abandoning Obama & Democrat's Liberal Agenda Black People Politics 0