Black People : The Destruction of the Black Middle Class

Please Donate

I need your help. destee.com will be 25 years old in October and I don't know that we'll make it. It is hard to keep us alive right now. Our costs have only increased over the years. We have all put our love into this community, but love is not enough to keep the lights on. destee.com needs your financial help too. We are the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world. Please help us remain. Click the Donate button below or CashApp $8664destee - Thank you.

Bootzey

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 26, 2008
Metro ATL
Occupation
Don't Ask
The pendulum is shifting. The middle class arose in the 1st place because there were employment and educational opportunities that are currently slowing disappearing. I look at my parents who lived in what I would call poverty in their early years who were able to educate themselves and leave their old lives behind. I didn't grow up having to have several jobs to make ends meet and having 15 other siblings in a 3 bedroom house. I never had to pick cotton or do field work. But now, that same path does not lead to improvement or even to the same standard of living. Having a college degree is no longer special. Everyone has one. You don't even have to physically step on a campus anymore to obtain one. And there are plenty of people with advanced degrees who are doing blue collar work because the opportunities aren't there anymore. Now a days, there is only 2 classes: the rich and the poor. They are the only people unaffected by the economy.

chuck

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 9, 2003
The pendulum is shifting. The middle class arose in the 1st place because there were employment and educational opportunities that are currently slowing disappearing. I look at my parents who lived in what I would call poverty in their early years who were able to educate themselves and leave their old lives behind. I didn't grow up having to have several jobs to make ends meet and having 15 other siblings in a 3 bedroom house. I never had to pick cotton or do field work. But now, that same path does not lead to improvement or even to the same standard of living. Having a college degree is no longer special. Everyone has one. You don't even have to physically step on a campus anymore to obtain one. And there are plenty of people with advanced degrees who are doing blue collar work because the opportunities aren't there anymore. Now a days, there is only 2 classes: the rich and the poor. They are the only people unaffected by the economy.

I feel yah, but I don't think you understand what I'm asking you to do...I. e., post articles which present an overview of what the middle class is going thru, above and beyond what you're going thru as an individual...FYI...

Shikamaru

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 7, 2011
The lack of comments on this thread either reveals most of the posters here aren't or won't admit it on this forum...Is that a reflection of their relationship to the black middle class, since they aren't or won't help the rest of us, the heck with them, too? So much for unity being based on merely shared ancestry etc. Basing real unity etc. on the basis of shared morals/ethics/concenrn/a plan of action to preserve/protect/etc. our current communities--not being down with our 'hood'...not condoning any and every means/ways/etc. to make a buck...would make better since...Leave the black middle class off the hook when past movments gave the oppotunities to get college degrees/careers etc.-- without expecting them to give back something to the people those movements hoped to aid though fell a bit short...of course!

I see this whole situation as primarily one of education and effective action on commercial matters, IMHO.

Latest profile posts

2022 Has started and I hope everyone is having a safe and protected journey as we navigate this game of life
during this pandemic. We are not easily defeated so protect your momentum at all times. One Love.
Kemetstry wrote on Cindy's profile.
Why are you following me?
Destee wrote on Jahari Kavi's profile.
Hi Brother @Jahari Kavi ... Welcome Home! Good to see you! YAAAAAY Us! :love:
Destee wrote on Orisons's profile.
Hi Brother @Orisons ... good to see you in the house, stay safe always please :heart:
Destee wrote on Ms Drea's profile.
Hi My Dear Darling Sister! :kiss: :love: :kiss: