Black People : The Debate on Race in Cuba

Mad Skillz

Oct 28, 2004
So. Cal by way of L.I., New York
Occupation
Real Estate
Cuba is racist, says a letter signed by 60 African American and Afro-Latin notables. Undoubtedly, “racism exists in Cuba, just as it does in every other country on the planet, especially the United States.” And just as surely, those who signed the letter have put their reputations in service of the same U.S. government and Miami (white) Cuban exile crowd that has always plotted against the Cuban revolution. The author poses the question: “Is there really a civil rights movement in Cuba or is the petition merely a grandiloquent expression of Afrogringoism?”

Full Article: http://www.blackagendareport.com/?q=content/reverse-images-acrimonious-debate-race-cuba

awo dino

Sep 11, 2009
in florida for now
Occupation
carpenter, anthropologist, teacher. Right now I te
Thanks Mad Skillz, for the link. As a Latino who has visited Cuba, I found the article interesting. Although the author tends to over romantiscize life in Cuba (and Brazil), I feel he is correct in his assesment. Fidel did make the elimination of racism a central plank of his revolution. An impossible task in a racist world. I spoke wit many older black Cubans when I was there and they love Fidel and what he has done for Afro-cubans. The special period brough change in the race dynamic. I was there in 1998. With the introduction of tourism - needed to get cash dollars - Race, class and gender isues came roaring back. The jobs in the tourist industry are coveted, because you gain access to tips - in dollars. When I took a taxi in havana, if a private taxi the owner/driver could be black, white, or whatever, But the government taxi's, that have access to the tourist zones, were driven by whites. Jobs in the tourist zones are dominated by whites.
What is of interest here is not that there is racism in Cuba. First, it stands the ideas of the Ferrer character on their head. racism has increased, or the need for the human rights movement he proposes, is needed because of capitalist changes, the opposite of his propaganda, that the revolution is racist. Then the question becomes:
Does capitalism promote racism? Is racism an integral component of capitalism?
Seeing that racism in Cuba is on the rise do to the introduction of capitalist change, Cuba is a perfect laboratory for this type of investigation.

I cannot believe that Maya Angelou and other African Americans could be duped into signing that letter. Amazing and hurtful.
This would be a wonderful PhD dissertation for a young brilliant black scholar.
ase

Cuba is racist, says a letter signed by 60 African American and Afro-Latin notables. Undoubtedly, “racism exists in Cuba, just as it does in every other country on the planet, especially the United States.” And just as surely, those who signed the letter have put their reputations in service of the same U.S. government and Miami (white) Cuban exile crowd that has always plotted against the Cuban revolution. The author poses the question: “Is there really a civil rights movement in Cuba or is the petition merely a grandiloquent expression of Afrogringoism?”

Full Article: http://www.blackagendareport.com/?q=content/reverse-images-acrimonious-debate-race-cuba

Ankhur

Oct 4, 2009
Brooklyn
Occupation
owner of various real estate concerns
Thanks Mad Skillz, for the link. As a Latino who has visited Cuba, I found the article interesting. Although the author tends to over romantiscize life in Cuba (and Brazil), I feel he is correct in his assesment. Fidel did make the elimination of racism a central plank of his revolution. An impossible task in a racist world. I spoke wit many older black Cubans when I was there and they love Fidel and what he has done for Afro-cubans. The special period brough change in the race dynamic. I was there in 1998. With the introduction of tourism - needed to get cash dollars - Race, class and gender isues came roaring back. The jobs in the tourist industry are coveted, because you gain access to tips - in dollars. When I took a taxi in havana, if a private taxi the owner/driver could be black, white, or whatever, But the government taxi's, that have access to the tourist zones, were driven by whites. Jobs in the tourist zones are dominated by whites.
What is of interest here is not that there is racism in Cuba. First, it stands the ideas of the Ferrer character on their head. racism has increased, or the need for the human rights movement he proposes, is needed because of capitalist changes, the opposite of his propaganda, that the revolution is racist. Then the question becomes:
Does capitalism promote racism? Is racism an integral component of capitalism?
Seeing that racism in Cuba is on the rise do to the introduction of capitalist change, Cuba is a perfect laboratory for this type of investigation.

I cannot believe that Maya Angelou and other African Americans could be duped into signing that letter. Amazing and hurtful.
This would be a wonderful PhD dissertation for a young brilliant black scholar.
ase
Capitalism cannot be used as an excuse, for racism since it is the 3rd realCommunist country left in the world since Russia haveing a stock exchange and China becoming a menber of the World Bank and the Trilateral Commision.

I was shocked to hear about this beacuse Castro as ststed did promise to end racism

awo dino

Sep 11, 2009
in florida for now
Occupation
carpenter, anthropologist, teacher. Right now I te
Capitalism cannot be used as an excuse, for racism since it is the 3rd realCommunist country left in the world since Russia haveing a stock exchange and China becoming a menber of the World Bank and the Trilateral Commision.

I was shocked to hear about this beacuse Castro as ststed did promise to end racism

re-read my post again, then reconsider your response.

Corvo

navigator of live
May 9, 2003
LaLa land
Occupation
Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
Castro may have promised the end of Racism in Cuba. But it’s up to all the people to implement. One can have laws against racism, but the people need to stop practicing it. Racism never left Cuba, but it was minimized due to greater equality. But once inequality is re-introduced with Capitalism, it welcomes competition, and in reverse.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jamesfrmphilly South Africa : South African “I Benefited From Apartheid” T-Shirts Spark Race Debate South Africa 4
Perfection Black People Politics : ├ѕтυdιeѕ in Ƀlack Ɽage♨┤Black Rage and the Criminal Law: A Principled Approach to a Polarized Debate Black People Politics 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : Scottie Pippen wavers on Michael Jordan vs. LeBron James debate after Barack Obama chimes in Black Sports 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : Kareem Abdul-Jabbar takes sides in Kobe vs LeBron debate Black Sports 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Megachurch pastor ignites debate after suggesting that Christianity doesn’t hinge on Jesus’ birth Christian Study Group 4
Liberty Black Education / Schools : Protests Erupt During Senate Debate Featuring David Duke Black Education / Schools 1
Fine1952 Black People Politics : 2016 - Second Presidential Debate Black People Politics 1
Liberty Black People Politics : The #TrumpTape Debate: Either Hillary Clinton Wins Tonight or America has Lost its Way Black People Politics 0
chuck Black People Politics : What Are Your Truly Serious Opinions About The First Presidential Debate? Black People Politics 0
chuck Black People Politics : What Are Your Takes On The First Presidential Debate Destee.Com Posters? Black People Politics 2
Al D Black People : Black girls' hair a national debate ( Racism in Pretoria Schools) Black People Open Forum 3
Liberty Black People Politics : Racist Michelle Obama Cartoon Sparks Social Media Debate Black People Politics 37
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Money Business Jobs : The debate over Trade explained Black Money Business Jobs 0
Liberty Black People Politics : Democratic Debate Milwakee 2/11/16 Black People Politics 3
Liberty Black Education / Schools : Teacher Tenure Debate: Pros & Cons Black Education / Schools 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : This Major Food Company May Have Just Changed the Direction of the GMO Labeling Debate Food Discussion and Recipes 6
Liberty Black People Politics : How NBC Whitewashed AA Issues at Sunday's Democratic Debate Black People Politics 32
R Black Poetry : My plan great but like candidates I stand to debate cats About matters and no doubt this scatters ru Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : prison-debate-team-beats-harvard-debate-team-in-national-competition Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
IFE Premium Members Only : Debate, Discussion, Dialogue Premium Members Only 23
RAPTOR Black People : Dr. John Henrik Clarke - Debate With Cornell West: The Politics of Assimilation verses Nationalism Black People Open Forum 4
RAPTOR Health and Wellness : Inside the Vaccine War: Measles Outbreak Rekindles Public Health Debate Black Health and Wellness 6
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Ten Commandments of (Rational) Debate Black People Open Forum 1
RAPTOR Black People : Black Left in the 21st Century: Debate Black People Open Forum 0
ru2religious Black Spirituality Religion : Atheist and Creationist debate live today tune in. Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 5
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : ‘SCIENCE GUY’ BILL NYE VS. CREATIONIST KEN HAM: WHO WILL WIN THE BIG DEBATE OVER DARWINIAN EVOLUTION Black People Open Forum 61
Kadijah Black People Politics : Fox News Ridiculous Obama 'betrayal of Mandela' Debate Black People Politics 1
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Syria Debate: Does U.S. Have the Evidence and Authority to Hit Assad for Alleged Chemical Attack? Black People Politics 24
Orisons Black People : Can ANYONE win a discussion/debate without addressing assertions and answering relevant questions? Black People Open Forum 48
Alarm Clock Pan Africanism : Powerful Debate; Dr Molefi Asante/ Kwame Ture; Both bringing Wisdom African American History Culture 27
Aluku Black People Politics : Why The Immigration Debate Matters To You! Black People Politics 4
Alarm Clock Pan-Africanism : Tricks end with Debate; the true Solution for Pan Africanism Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 1
RAPTOR Black People Politics : The Monsanto Protection Act? A Debate on Controversial New Measure Over Genetically Modified Crops Black People Politics 4
Omowale Jabali Omowale Jabali : The Ma'at and Islam Debate Omowale Jabali 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Obama's Bear-Hugger Invited to Debate Black People Politics 0
legit-writer Black People Politics : Final Presidential Debate 10/22/2012 Black People Politics 58
legit-writer Black People Politics : Second Presidential Debate 10/16/2012 Black People Politics 247
legit-writer Black People Politics : Tonight's Vice Presidential Debate 10/11/12 Black People Politics 77
legit-writer Black People Politics : tonight's presidential debate - 10/03/12 Black People Politics 160
skuderjaymes Black People Politics : 2008 Presidential Candidate Debate: Obama and John McCain Black People Politics 0
skuderjaymes Black People Politics : 1984 Presidential Candidate Debate: Reagan and Walter Mondale Black People Politics 0
skuderjaymes Black People Politics : 1980 Presidential Candidate Debate: Reagan and Jimmy Carter - 10/28/80 Black People Politics 0
skuderjaymes Black People Politics : 1992 Presidential Debate with Bush, Clinton & Ross Perot Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Atheists : Scientist: Evolution debate will soon be history Atheist Study Group 97
RAPTOR Black People Politics : As Obama Picks Up Union Endorsements, A Debate on Labor's Role in 2012 Campaign Black People Politics 0
RAPTOR Black Education / Schools : Debate regarding Afrikan-Centered schooling in Toronto Black Education / Schools 0
skuderjaymes Black People : BLACK ATHENA: Dr. Clarke & Prof. Martin Bernal debate prof. Mary Leftkowitz and Prof. Guy Rogers. Black People Open Forum 4
Destee Black People : Have You Ever Participated in a 'Real' Debate - High School or College Arena? Black People Open Forum 70
RAPTOR Black Spirituality Religion : Protestant and catholic debate on Mary Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 26
Ankhur Black Men : Why do Negroes Fear to Debate Toe to Toe like Black Men? Black Men 21