Black Christians : The Day Billy Graham Did the Unthinkable for Race Relations

Louise Cosper

Feb 26, 2018
I am thankful that Billy Graham did the unthinkable. (Article : CBN News, Bing.com news, etc. See YouTube video by searching under the title for this post.

Article below quoted from CBN News.
In 1953, America's borders were filled with racial tension and uncertainty. The Rev. Billy Graham was sailing uncharted territory when he did the unthinkable.

He held a crusade in Chattanooga, Tennessee, where hundreds of thousands of men, women and children of all races sat together and worshiped the Lord.

"But when God looks at you, He doesn't look on the outward appearance; the Bible says He looks upon the heart," Graham preached.

He then took his fight to end segregation to the streets.

Graham had been preaching at Madison Square Garden in New York to thousands nightly, but very few blacks came. So at the suggestion of a colleague, he asked Rev. Howard Jones for help.

Jones recommended that Graham take his message to the streets of New York, and that's exactly what he did.

"I decided I was never going to speak to anymore segregated audiences and he said, 'I want it to be that way,' " Jones told CBN News. "He said, 'What would you suggest that we do?' I said, 'If blacks aren't coming go where they are.' He said, 'What do you mean?' I said, 'Go to Harlem.' "

Graham preached at Salem Methodist Church to thousands. The next week, he went to Brooklyn.

Slowly, but surely, the crusades in New York became increasingly integrated.

Prominent singer Ethel Waters attended the event and re-dedicated her life to Christ.

Graham even invited his good friend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to one of the events.

Graham faced a flurry of criticism from both blacks and whites. But that did not deter him.

Jones explained, "Some whites wanted to know why you would fool around with these people. And some said if you're going to integrate your team we will not support you. We will not give you money, so they used all kinds of pressures on him, but he said I don't care. I'm going to stick by my guns."

"Some of the criticisms were that Graham wasn't doing enough to support the black community and that he didn't speak enough about civil rights," said Dr. Ralph Bell.

Graham went to Dr. King for advice.

In a crusade, Graham said, "Martin Luther King suggested to me that I stay in the South and hold integrated meetings and that he was going to take to the streets and that he would probably get killed in the streets, but I don't think you ought to because you are going to be able to do some things that I can't and I'm going to be able to do some things you can't, but we're after the same objective."

And so he did, holding crusades from Arkansas to Alabama.

"So here we were with neighborhood after neighborhood after neighborhood in my state on the verge of violence, and yet tens of thousands of black and white Christians there together in a football stadium," recalled former President Bill Clinton. "And when he issued the call at the end of this message, thousands came down holding hands, arm in arm crying. It was the beginning of the end of the old South in my home state. I will never forget it."

Graham even went to South Africa to preach before an integrated audience in 1973.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
I am thankful that Billy Graham did the unthinkable. (Article : CBN News, Bing.com news, etc. See YouTube video by searching under the title for this post.

Article below quoted from CBN News.
In 1953, America's borders were filled with racial tension and uncertainty. The Rev. Billy Graham was sailing uncharted territory when he did the unthinkable.

He held a crusade in Chattanooga, Tennessee, where hundreds of thousands of men, women and children of all races sat together and worshiped the Lord.

"But when God looks at you, He doesn't look on the outward appearance; the Bible says He looks upon the heart," Graham preached.

He then took his fight to end segregation to the streets.

Graham had been preaching at Madison Square Garden in New York to thousands nightly, but very few blacks came. So at the suggestion of a colleague, he asked Rev. Howard Jones for help.

Jones recommended that Graham take his message to the streets of New York, and that's exactly what he did.

"I decided I was never going to speak to anymore segregated audiences and he said, 'I want it to be that way,' " Jones told CBN News. "He said, 'What would you suggest that we do?' I said, 'If blacks aren't coming go where they are.' He said, 'What do you mean?' I said, 'Go to Harlem.' "

Graham preached at Salem Methodist Church to thousands. The next week, he went to Brooklyn.

Slowly, but surely, the crusades in New York became increasingly integrated.

Prominent singer Ethel Waters attended the event and re-dedicated her life to Christ.

Graham even invited his good friend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to one of the events.

Graham faced a flurry of criticism from both blacks and whites. But that did not deter him.

Jones explained, "Some whites wanted to know why you would fool around with these people. And some said if you're going to integrate your team we will not support you. We will not give you money, so they used all kinds of pressures on him, but he said I don't care. I'm going to stick by my guns."

"Some of the criticisms were that Graham wasn't doing enough to support the black community and that he didn't speak enough about civil rights," said Dr. Ralph Bell.

Graham went to Dr. King for advice.

In a crusade, Graham said, "Martin Luther King suggested to me that I stay in the South and hold integrated meetings and that he was going to take to the streets and that he would probably get killed in the streets, but I don't think you ought to because you are going to be able to do some things that I can't and I'm going to be able to do some things you can't, but we're after the same objective."

And so he did, holding crusades from Arkansas to Alabama.

"So here we were with neighborhood after neighborhood after neighborhood in my state on the verge of violence, and yet tens of thousands of black and white Christians there together in a football stadium," recalled former President Bill Clinton. "And when he issued the call at the end of this message, thousands came down holding hands, arm in arm crying. It was the beginning of the end of the old South in my home state. I will never forget it."

Graham even went to South Africa to preach before an integrated audience in 1973.

I too am thankful for what Billy said below ... start at 12:44 of the video and see the unthinkable:

Louise Cosper

Feb 26, 2018
Clyde,
Thank you for posting the Billy Graham video. It looks like I was in violation, even though I gave the author credit and referred to the video. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. When the welcome email was sent to me to link leading to the rules didn't work, so I wasn't able to read them. I just read them. Hopefully, I won't be banned from posting anything else. I really want to help the community.
Louise Cosper

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Clyde,
Thank you for posting the Billy Graham video. It looks like I was in violation, even though I gave the author credit and referred to the video. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. When the welcome email was sent to me to link leading to the rules didn't work, so I wasn't able to read them. I just read them. Hopefully, I won't be banned from posting anything else. I really want to help the community.
Louise Cosper

Not a problem, Louise Cosper, no, not at all, yvw (your are very welcome) ... On the violation, we can only post two (2) sentences of any article:

Rule #11 - Respect People's Property - Include Only a Sentence or Two and a Link
If it is your own property ... your own words ... you are welcome to share as much of it as you would like.

If it is not your property, share only a sentence or two of the work, and a link to where we can read it in its entirety.

If you have the owner's permission ... include it with their property.

Copyright Infringement - STEALING - Is Not Allowed Here!

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
Clyde,
Louise Cosper

:10400: .o0( Some people are wanna be moderators )

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Where Billy Graham 'missed the mark' Christian Study Group 3
Fireman Black Spirituality Religion : Rev. Billy Graham states that Jesus is black. Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 5
Poetpreacher Black Spirituality Religion : Billy Graham, With Nothing Left To Prove Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 35
Heartbeat Black Poetry : Where were you Billy Graham? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
shaka64 Black People : Philadelphia soul singer Billy Paul died at the age of 81 Sunday morning, according to his manager. Black People Open Forum 2
CosmicMessenger Black Entertainment : Billy Cobham - Spectrum Black Entertainment 0
cherryblossom Audio Video Web Conferencing : Billy Preston- That's the Way God Planned It Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
cherryblossom Audio Video Web Conferencing : Billy Preston: My Soul Is A Witness Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
King Tubbs Black People : Redneck Hilly Billy Questions Black People’s Mentality....and I agree with him!! Black People Open Forum 7
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : RIP Billy Scott Black Entertainment 1
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : Just The Way You Are - Billy Joel Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
cherryblossom Black Entertainment : Billy Ocean Black Entertainment 2
cherryblossom Black Entertainment : Billy Taylor Black Entertainment 2
$$RICH$$ Quiet Poetry Lounge : Fugitive Billy Billz Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
S Black Entertainment : Billy Preston seriously ll! Black Entertainment 0
Omowale Jabali Billy Higgins: Master Drummer and Community Educator Honoring Black Ancestors 0
M Black Short Stories : billy loved brenda Short Stories - Authors - Writing 4
Keita Kenyatta Black People : The Lament of Hermes, read by Graham Hancock Black People Open Forum 5
TotalView Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : graham central station - your love Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
cherryblossom Black Entertainment : Larry Graham Black Entertainment 3
cherryblossom Black Entertainment : Graham Central Station Black Entertainment 4
D Dessert Cookie Cake Recipe : Graham Cracker Pie Food Discussion and Recipes 1
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : ?Did Black Women Author The Bible? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
S Black Men : FROM GROWN MEN TO GROWN BOYS!!! How did we get here? Black Men 0
SwagII Black Spirituality Religion : What part did God play in the creation of any religion? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Ndugu Black Ancestors : A Strong Congressman; Cummings suffered from a Broken Heart, seeing what a Cultural Virus , did to our people! Honoring Black Ancestors 1
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : Why did Judas not ask Jesus for forgiveness for betraying Him, instead of committing suicide? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
dattaswami1 Black Christians : Why did Jesus on the cross pray to God to excuse His offenders since they were ignorant? Christian Study Group 0
dattaswami1 Black Christians : Why Jesus did not avoid crucifixion?.. Christian Study Group 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : Did the Dutch "steal" this African food? Food Discussion and Recipes 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Candace Owens: Blacks Did Better in the First 100 Years After Slavery Black People Open Forum 6
MicTheory Black Spirituality Religion : Did The Black Church Sell Out The Revolution? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
OldSoul Black People : Where did suburbs come from? Black People Open Forum 1
Bboanerge Black Money Business Jobs : Did you keep your Black Money out of Starbucks' cash registers, today? Black Money Business Jobs 14
W Black Entertainment : I really did not like black panther movie Black Entertainment 37
OldSoul Black People : Africans did NOT sell their own people into slavery Black People Open Forum 18
Kemetstry African American History Culture : LITTLE PEOPLE DID BIG THINGS African American History Culture 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Cortana: What Did We Get Ourselves Into? Science and Technology 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : The Ozone Hole Over Antarctica Did Just Something It Hasn't In Decades Yahoo View Science and Technology 1
HODEE Black People Politics : OBAMA to "Republicans_I didn't create TRUMP.. your hate towards me did! Black People Politics 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Did Satan Create Catholicism? Trump-Supporting Pastor Robert Jeffress Thinks So Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : A founder of Black Lives Matter answers a question on many minds: Where did it go? African American History Culture 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : These Sorority Sisters Did a ‘Melanin Illustrated’ Photo Shoot Black People Doing Positive Things 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Did Luke exaggerate Paul's food distribution AACOOLDRE 1
D Black Entertainment : What mangas did you finish or currently reading? Black Entertainment 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : HOW DID CHRISTIANS TORTURE OTHER PEOPLE? AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : DID ST.PAUL GO ON A FAMINE RELIEF MISSION?: Did James, Jude & Revelations really know what happened? AACOOLDRE 1
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Yvette Carnelle: "Government Ain't Never Did Nothing for Black People" is a lie Black People Politics 5
C Black People Politics : Why did 13% of black men vote for Trump? Black People Politics 2
Liberty Black People : How Did You Feel, How Did You React, In 2008, Compared to How You Feel Now? Black People Open Forum 5