Health and Wellness : The Black Gay Community has lost the Battle against HIV & AIDS.

Kadijah

Banned
Apr 7, 2013
Interesting video. Very interesting. While I'm aware of HIV & AIDS (I used to teach a course in the 90's), this guy took me back to what isn't in the books. One of the guys I worked with at the time was a white male gay. In my study materials, I read about the effects of mainly, AIDS. He had a friend who died of it. What he told me curled my toes. The question going about the office was something like "would you date a person with AIDS if they used protection?" I asked it of him. He cut his eyes at me, snorted, and said he wouldn't go near a guy with AIDS! He turn proceeded to "curl my toes" by telling me about the friend (not lover, friend) he had taken care of until he died, about what he went through.

Looking at this video, we get another second-hand look at HIV from one who has seen it first hand. I, too, thought HIV folk just take their "cocktail" of pills and go on about their business. Some, ole boy says, but not "all."

Very sobering.

Although he posted it for a gay audience, it's an excellent "ditch the rose-colored glasses" video that heterosexuals, as well, need to see.

Thanx.

(Although I was a lil put off by his hairless, hulking, half-naked-looking appearance! :lol: )

Enki

The Evolved Amphibian
STAFF
Aug 27, 2010
The Third Plane of Existence
Occupation
Civil Eng.
Interesting video. Very interesting. While I'm aware of HIV & AIDS (I used to teach a course in the 90's), this guy took me back to what isn't in the books. One of the guys I worked with at the time was a white male gay. In my study materials, I read about the effects of mainly, AIDS. He had a friend who died of it. What he told me curled my toes. The question going about the office was something like "would you date a person with AIDS if they used protection?" I asked it of him. He cut his eyes at me, snorted, and said he wouldn't go near a guy with AIDS! He turn proceeded to "curl my toes" by telling me about the friend (not lover, friend) he had taken care of until he died, about what he went through.

Looking at this video, we get another second-hand look at HIV from one who has seen it first hand. I, too, thought HIV folk just take their "cocktail" of pills and go on about their business. Some, ole boy says, but not "all."

Very sobering.

Although he posted it for a gay audience, it's an excellent "ditch the rose-colored glasses" video that heterosexuals, as well, need to see.

Thanx.

(Although I was a lil put off by his hairless, hulking, naked-looking appearance! :lol: )

I think the problem maybe that many of us have not seen the actual effects of AIDS. I took a course title side course that lasted about 2 days and all we saw what handouts. That does not really give you are picture of what people actually go through. Since you have done work in this field, can you give me a side that the handouts can't, and don't give?

Peace!

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
Brothers and sisters with the problem don't receive the same care as others, unless they have their own cash source. Moreover, the health care system constantly tests us for the disease whether we want it or even know it. I got into an argument with an MD over this. He claimed it was because of the prevalence of the disease in our community. When I told him his exposure to communicable diseases were a lot higher than ours, because of the nature of his profession. How often was he tested? And I wanted to see the results! Suddenly he changed his tune

Enki

The Evolved Amphibian
STAFF
Aug 27, 2010
The Third Plane of Existence
Occupation
Civil Eng.
Brothers and sisters with the problem don't receive the same care as others, unless they have their own cash source.

In that little 2 day course I was in had the woman who's father is in prison, and he has HIV. And she was saying that he has to take about 30 pills a day (if I recall right). So this should give us and indication of the person that is out on the street. The prison buys his meds, so they don't feel the brunt of having to pay for something they need.

Peace!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jamesfrmphilly Health and Wellness : cdc-1-in-2-black-gay-men-in-us-will-be-diagnosed-with-hiv Black Health and Wellness 4
Aluku Black People Politics : Lying White Liberals(6): Gay Is The New Black Black People Politics 4
KingSango Black People : Black Liberation v.s the gay Boule and Prince Hall Masons. Crucial history Irritated Genie. Black People Open Forum 0
Kemetstry Black People : IS GAY THE NEW BLACK? Black People Open Forum 168
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Black pastors bash NAACP for endorsing gay marriage Black People Politics 133
Keita Kenyatta Black People : More Black Churches In NJ Embrace Gay Congregants Black People Open Forum 52
Amnat77 Black People : Don Lemon: Being Gay Is Worst Thing to Be in Black Culture Black People Open Forum 13
T Black People : My Message to the gay black men Collective Black People Open Forum 0
D Black Entertainment : paris hilton insults black and gay people Black Entertainment 7
Monetary Black People : 5 Little Black Boys Given to Two White Gay Men in Adoption Black People Open Forum 31
C Black Poetry : Black Gay/Gay Black Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 17
D Black People : People say that Atlanta is a black gay mecca Black People Open Forum 14
D Black Poetry : On our side: Black and Gay (Keystyle response) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
naija-man Black People : GAY BLACK COP ON TV Black People Open Forum 0
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH Black Entertainment 14
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : 'African Gene Theory' Is a Myth, and It's Harming Black Men's Heart Health Black Health and Wellness 0
Fine1952 Black Money Business Jobs : Black On The Bottom Policies - Tariq Rasheed Black Money Business Jobs 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Barack Obama opens up about the difficulty of 'being a functioning Black person in America' in surprise appearance Black People Politics 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Feeling politically powerless, black Christians find more comfort in black church: study Christian Study Group 1
R Black Poetry : yeah black history is a whack mystery and my back still blistery from being whiplashed , ready to grip some cash and run to the underground railroad a Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Black Women Aren't Saving America For You. They're Protecting Themselves Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Travel : For Black Americans, a Heritage Trip to West Africa Can Be Life-Changing Black Travel 0
Kemetstry African American History Culture : THE BLACK SPARROW African American History Culture 2
Fine1952 Black Money Business Jobs : Black Tax: The Cost of Being Black In America Black Money Business Jobs 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Black female scientist at forefront of COVID-19 vaccine development Black People Doing Positive Things 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Joy Reid nails the difference between white and Black people after Capitol riots Black People Politics 4
Destee Pets / Animals : Black the Rottweiler - playing with his toy Pets / Animals 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : America has an urgent need for Black doctors: 'It's hard to be what you can't imagine' Black Health and Wellness 0
One-Hundredd Black Entertainment : Jewels of Wisdom found in GTA 5's Black protagonist Franklin Clinton Black Entertainment 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Kwanzaa Is Not ‘Black Christmas’—Here’s What It Actually Is (And How We Celebrate) Black People Open Forum 2
Discerning Black People Politics : Black People: Know your REAL enemy Black People Politics 14
OldSoul Black People : "Elijah Muhammad was the greatest psychologist that Black people ever created, bar none" Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : "Elijah Muhammad was the greatest psychologist that Black people ever created, bar none" Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Parenting : The reality of Black men's love lives and marriages is very different than what's usually shown on TV – I spent years actually talking to them Black Parenting 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : A Black Student's Mother Complained About 'Fences.' He Was Expelled Black Education / Schools 3
Kemetstry Black Money Business Jobs : BLACK OWNED ATH;ETIC BRANDS Black Money Business Jobs 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Black Native American descendants fight for recognition African American History Culture 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Relationships : New Book Claims the Destruction of Black Relationships Is 'America's Unrecognized Civil Rights Issue' Black Relationships 0
Kemetstry Black Money Business Jobs : BLACK OWNED HAIR CARE PRODUCT LINE IN NEIMAN MARCUS Black Money Business Jobs 0
Fine1952 Black People : The Black Tax - *Black Lives Still Don't Matter* Black People Open Forum 25
OldSoul Black People : CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING ONLINE - Nov 15, 2020 - Topic: Black People Dont Want No white God Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : The Destruction Of The Black Afrikan Woman Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : 'You are my wildest dream': Sydney Barber will be first Black woman to serve as US Naval Academy brigade commander Black People Doing Positive Things 0
I_AM_HER Steals and Deals : Black woman -owned Candle Shop in Houston, TX Shopping - Steals and Deals! 0
I_AM_HER Black Women : A black woman's experience and the failed U.S. healthcare system Black Women 0
Discerning Black People Politics : Take that, you Black and Latino defectors! Black People Politics 8
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Louisiana man sentenced to 25 years for burning Black churches Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
C Black People : Will The Black Divine Beings Ever Rise Again? Black People Open Forum 1
C Black People : The Problem With Black Afrikan People Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : Black Afrikans Has No Knowledge Of Need Black People Open Forum 0