PREMIUM MEMBER
May 16, 2002
Bronzeville USA
www.BLACKLAND.ORG
Occupation
Staying Alive
1426857081718.cached.jpg

The Almost Forgotten Selma March
It was a glorious moment in American history. On March 7, 2015, forty thousand Americans gathered in Selma, Alabama, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday. On that day in 1965, Alabama state troopers and local police brutally assaulted 600 African Americans, members of Martin Luther King’s voting rights campaign. Beaten and shocked by billy clubs and cattle prods, trampled by horses, and choked by clouds of tear gas, the marchers fell back and fled for their lives. When someone called for an ambulance, Selma’s Sheriff, Jim Clark, replied, “Let the buzzards eat them.” President Lyndon Johnson later compared the assault to Lexington and Concord, a turning point in American history because it touched the conscience of the nation and accelerated the passage of the historic Voting Rights Act.
On the anniversary earlier this month, the crowd included elderly veterans of the ’65 march, 100 members of the U.S. Congress, former President George W. Bush and his wife, Laura, and the current president of the United States and his family.

The celebration, known officially as the Annual Bridge Crossing Jubilee, commemorated not just Bloody Sunday but the aborted march two days later and the final successful trek (March 21-25) that brought the marchers, numbering 25,000, to Montgomery, the home of arch-segregationist George C. Wallace. Civil Rights activists hoped to present the governor with a list of grievances, the greatest of which was the denial of the right to vote.

Fifty years ago, that five day march from Selma to Montgomery was not widely celebrated but denigrated by a number of distinguished Americans. Former President Harry S. Truman, who had urged Congress to adopt a civil rights program 17 years earlier, called the march “silly.”

The final successful march from Selma to Montgomery was neither “silly” nor irrelevant. First, it kept a promise to the people of Marion, Alabama, who had suffered a vicious beating by Alabama state troopers and the death of Jimmie Lee Jackson, shot by a state trooper during the riot on February 18, 1965. At first, activists wanted to carry Jackson’s coffin to Montgomery and place it on the steps of George Wallace’s State House. From that desire evolved the eventual plan to march from Selma to Montgomery.
...While the final, successful march lacks the drama of the first, it too deserves to be remembered now that the television cameras and newsmen and women have departed.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Sankofa,

Memories of Selma - All of Them

On March 21, 1965, a diverse group of civil rights activists stood with Martin Luther King, Jr. to begin the third and finally successful march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama. As such, it is part of this month's many remembrances of Selma and "Bloody Sunday." But it is more than just a commemoration. Selma is a living challenge to each of us. It challenges us to remember our history -- and the brave women and men who marched and were brutally assaulted. It cries out for us to recall how they returned to Selma to march once, twice, three times, always with more supporters and allies by their side. For the U.S., Selma stands as a beacon reminding us that people can stand against injustice and move forward, especially when we do it together ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joyce...them_b_6910132.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
the almost forgotten Selma march

:heart:

Destee

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : DeAndre Hopkins almost skipped game over Bob McNair's 'inmate' comment: 'Feels like I'm a slave' Black Sports 0
Kemetstry Black People : ROACHES ALMOST IMMUNE Black People Open Forum 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Fisk Jubilee Singers: They Introduced the World to Songs of Slavery. It Almost Broke Them African American History Culture 0
R Black Poetry : SHE SAID “Make boys aware that it’s cake down there acquaint them with love, almost faint at the clu Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Lunar Cycle Black People Politics : It's Almost As If This Never Happened Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Ancient set of books almost 2,000 years old ARE the oldest written reference to Jesus Christ Christian Study Group 5
HODEE Black People Politics : Election stats show almost half the country didn’t vote Black People Politics 6
OldSoul OldSoul : Ways To Kill Almost Any Organization OldSoul 1
RAPTOR Black People : Sy Hersh Reveals Potential Turkish Role in Syria Chemical Strike That Almost Sparked U.S. Bombing Black People Open Forum 0
RAPTOR Black People : Sy Hersh Reveals Potential Turkish Role in Syria Chemical Strike That Almost Sparked U.S. Bombing Black People Open Forum 0
MsVeraisblessed Black People : Caught on Tape: Bulgarian Leader Almost Assassinated Black People Open Forum 7
Destee Black People : How do you stay encouraged, when it's dwindling, almost gone? Black People Open Forum 21
Keita Kenyatta Black People Politics : Romney to NAACP: Economy is ‘worse for African Americans in almost every way’ Black People Politics 7
Destee The Front Porch : Browse Invisible - Now a Feature for All Members - Happy Almost 14th Birthday!!! The Front Porch 2
howardtsu Black Poetry : Almost Everything she Needs Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
howardtsu Black Poetry : Almost There Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
N Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : All natural or almost all natural Hair Dyes Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 0
asimplepoet Black Poetry : My foot almost slipped, Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
I Black People : My sister(?) from Jamaica almost got a beating Black People Open Forum 3
D Boo-hags I almost forgot this ONE... Honoring Black Ancestors 2
O Black Sports : IT'S ALMOST THAT TIME AGAIN Black Sports 4
howardtsu Black Poetry : Almost Every Morning Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
K Black People : Survey: Almost Half of Dads Would Be Mr. Mom Black People Open Forum 0
P Black Sports : Ali vs. Wilt Chamberlain: The Fight That Almost Was Black Sports 2
T Black People : African-American Teen Unemployment Increases to Almost 7 Times National Rate Why?? Black People Open Forum 4
river Black Spirituality Religion : Sacred Texts from Almost Every Religion - On Line And Free Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 12
Nita Black Poetry : I almost gave up on God Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 30
watzinaname Black Poetry : Almost 2 Years and Counting... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
M Black Poetry : Like a fake heart you take part in wackiness almost daily Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
R Black Poetry : Almost Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
L Black Poetry : I Almost Died This Morning... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
L Black Haiku : Almost The Day Comes (My First Haiku) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
C Black Short Stories : Almost : Kendra vs. Angelus Short Stories - Authors - Writing 5
E Black Poetry : Almost Doesn't Count Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
S Black Poetry : Almost Gone Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
M Black Poetry : ALMOST GOT IT Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
OldSoul Black People : Ireland's forgotten mixed-race child abuse victims Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Why has the Tulsa Race Massacre been largely forgotten? African American History Culture 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : The Forgotten Tale of How Black Psychiatrists Helped Make ‘Sesame Street’ Black Education / Schools 0
Queenie African American History Culture : The Forgotten Genius: Percy Julian African American History Culture 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ Mining the Forgotten: Manuscript Sources for Black Women's History Black Women 0
Perfection African American History Culture : In Context Series: Forgotten Heritage-- African Americans in the Montana Territory, 1864-1889 African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : A 'Forgotten History' Of How The U.S. Government Segregated America African American History Culture 0
Liberty African American History Culture : A forgotten piece of African-American history on the Great Plains African American History Culture 4
Chidike The Police : FBI’s Warning Of White Supremacists Infiltrating Law Enforcement Nearly Forgotten Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Liberty Black People Politics : The forgotten way African Americans stayed safe in a racist America Black People Politics 2
Fine1952 African American History Culture : The Forgotten Seven African American History Culture 101
Queenie African American History Culture : Percy Julian--Forgotten Genius African American History Culture 0
Ms Drea Haiti : Jean-Jacques Dessalines the Forgotten Force African American History Culture 2
Amnat77 African American History Culture : Recy Taylor: A Symbol of Jim Crow's Forgotten Horror African American History Culture 3