Black Entertainment : The 25 Best Black Movies of the Last 25 Years

samsamdinh1

Jan 11, 2016
The history of African-American cinema is a long, winding road.

Since the days of Oscar Micheaux and Paul Robeson, black actors, actresses, writers, directors, and producers have been fighting for respect. The black nationalism of films like Carmen Jones and A Raisin in the Sun fueled the Civil Rights Movement during the 1950s and 1960s, while blaxploitation films like Shaft and Sweet Sweetback’s Badasssss Song echoed the revolutionary sentiments of the 1970s.

During the 1980s, black film earned mainstream respect thanks to the bravery of directors like Spike Lee and Robert Townsend. The scene exploded during the ‘90s, with everything from comedies to brutally honest depictions of urban life finding critical acclaim. Since then, black film has been largely unpredictable and difficult to classify.

In putting this feature together, we spoke at length about what makes a black film. Note that a black film doesn’t have to have a black director. For example, take Eddie Murphy’s triumphant comedy Coming to America. The film is directed by John Landis, the same man responsible for Animal House and The Blues Brothers. Even with a white director, Coming to America is a distinct piece of black cinema thanks to its casting and themes.

Speaking of Coming to America, tomorrow marks the 25th anniversary of its release. In the quarter of a century since Eddie Murphy first dominated Hollywood, black film has seen ups and downs, but some amazing work has been created during that time frame. On the eve of Coming to America’s 25th birthday, we look back at the 25 best black movies of the last 25 years.

chuck

Aug 9, 2003
Where can we find the informational link you're referring to?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Liberty Black People : The 5 Best Black Forums On The Internet Black People Open Forum 48
Liberty Black Entertainment : Black Film Critics: 2016 the Best Year Ever for African Americans in Cinema Black Entertainment 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : It's best and worst of times for black Americans, Henry Louis Gates tells Dallas audience Black People Open Forum 49
Fine1952 African American History Culture : Ten Best Lies of Black History w/References African American History Culture 7
alcase Black People Politics : Is the Democrat(ic) party really the best option for black America? Black People Politics 30
Liberty Black Entertainment : Tonys: Four Black Actors Win Best Musical Performances for First Time Black Entertainment 1
S Black Entertainment : This year's American Black Film Festival Finalists: Best Web Series Black Entertainment 9
G Audio Video Web Conferencing : Black Milk - Sundays Worst, Mondays Best Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Destee Black Relationships : Do Black Females ALWAYS look to mate and create with the best PROVIDERS? Black Relationships 40
noor100 Black Women : 10 Best Cities for Black Women Black Women 22
MsInterpret Black People : Competeing to see who the best black man is Black People Open Forum 4
Ankhur Black People : Dictatorship or Democracy/ whats best for the Black World? Black People Open Forum 6
Knowledge Seed Black Positive People : Black Self-Sufficiency at its best Black People Doing Positive Things 54
Ankhur Black People : The Best Con of the Devil is to get us off focus of Black Nationalism Black People Open Forum 39
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Now That Black People No Longer Think For Ourselves How Can We Know What Is Best For Chief Elder Osiris 1
D Black Money Business Jobs : Black Economics At It's Best. Black Money Business Jobs 3
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : The Best Thing Divine That Can Happen To Black People Chief Elder Osiris 5
A Black People : black folks best kept secret: MELANIN Black People Open Forum 15
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : THE BEST WAY TO CELEBRATE BLACK FOLKS PAST STORY, IS TO MAKE OUR STORY TO BE DIVINELY Chief Elder Osiris 0
D Black People : Best Black Martial Artist Black People Open Forum 1
river Black Spirituality Religion : Mary Fields and the Best Friend a Black Man Can Have Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
O Black Entertainment : best black actor Black Entertainment 7
R Black Poetry : Her dress is up her breasts been sucked a boy could have the best of luck oh shucks but she ran away she didn't plan this today girl your body is galo Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
SkinTone Health and Wellness : Best Time to Meet Folk Black Health and Wellness 1
J Black Poetry : Only you have unforgettable beauty, it is eternal in my memory. It shines clearly in my mind and subconscious mind - this is the best I've seen in my Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : Come hot with moves and lot of dudes swaysnowadays go get a BA, MD AND PHD and stayshome no J.O.B., have class and a professionis best like the las Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Mario William vitale Black Poetry : The Lord Knows Best Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Spoken Word : Flow best but no success can't achieve goal believe love stole his mind and that's cold this HIP HOP blend is in the top ten he see a chick come with Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
J Black Parenting : Best Gift to Give to a baby boy? Black Parenting 3
R Black Poetry : Pause on the stats of my rhyme they known to cause cats to be blind so it's best to stay away and su Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Mario William vitale Black Poetry : Today ( Today's Best Remedy) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Internet Technology : The best way to use social media is to act like a 19th-century Parisian Science and Technology 6
Destee Video / Audio : Lil Duval - Smile (Living My Best Life) (Official Video) ft. Snoop Dogg, Ball Greezy Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
ChicSheek Black Entertainment : Barbie, the best female rapper? Black Entertainment 0
R Black Poetry : Strong beats on streets as pride talk on sidewalks run into crime has stone walls best be home yall, Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Mario William vitale Black Poetry : John Hylands' Best Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : 5 Reasons Why Fasting Is The Best Way To Lose Weight Black Health and Wellness 3
S Black People : Why working-class Americans vote against their own best interests Black People Open Forum 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : The Best Exercise Routine for Your Brain Black Health and Wellness 0
R Black Poetry : my stats suggest at best that I like to write all type of stuff // Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Poetry : Outlaw: Best of Both Worlds Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Poetry : Best of Mankind is a Farmer Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
S Black Men : Best Trimmer/Shaver For Your Face That Does Not Give You Bumps Black Men 1
1poetsought Black Poetry : Best Seat in the House Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Liberty Black People Politics : 55 Reasons Obama Will Go Down As One Of Our Best Presidents Black People Politics 13
jamesfrmphilly Black Positive People : woman-sacrifices-herself-in-dog-attack-to-save-best-friends-baby Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : The best time to eat carbohydrates — so that your body uses them up instead of storing them as fat Food Discussion and Recipes 0
DjajiPrime Burkina Faso : Africa's Best President, Thomas Sankara Burkina Faso 6
L Black Relationships : Breaking Up ... what is the best way to meet someone new? Black Relationships 31
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : A 6’1” Guy Jumped Over a 7’6” Guy in the Best Dunk You’ve Never Seen Black Sports 0