Black People : THANKSGIVING - How Would You Feel If Native Americans Celebrated Slavery?

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Hello Family,

The holiday "Thanksgiving" is upon us and many are planning the preparation of the turkey and trimmings in honor of this yearly celebration.

Do you realize we are celebrating the theft of a country from the Natives of this land?

How would you feel if the Native Americans (Indians) celebrated our slavery in this country?

Have you ever thought about what we are actually celebrating?

:heart:

Destee

Nisa

Jul 25, 2004
MICHIGAN
Luckily I was brought up to know the falsehood of this so called holiday.
I feel sorry for those of us who still celebrate it, and believe what the white people and the history textbooks have been continuing to teach them, without looking behind the words, and not questioning their beliefs. Some people say its a day to be thankful to God and for life,family etc. But that it is supposed to happen everyday...to flip the script and say it is for that purpose..on that particular day is an issue for me. It's turning that day of horror into something else to hmm make the lie more acceptable and say that you are not observing it.
If the Native Americans celebrated slavery...wow I don't know..I have no clue what to say on that. But it would..give us a dose of our own medicine.

There is a book about us (African Americans) celebrating these European holidays..It's a two book series by Ishakamusa Barashango and the title is Afrikan People and European Holidays: A mental genocide
I think it was in book two..it said ..that us celebrating thanksgiving
is like the U.S. celebrating Pearl Harbor...and what yall got ta say about that?
Thanks for the question, it was much needed. Peace

Nisa

$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
Mar 21, 2001
Da~WINDY*CITY //CHICAGO
Occupation
BUSINESS owner
I always wonder what was so thankful about this day
thanksgiving 4th thursday giving thanks for a divine goodness
who goodness where do we fine goodness in the whiteman thankz

i written about this same thing 2 years ago how can we be thankful
for what's not ours but stolen land taken , i'm no pilgrim the english white men
who was settlers / taken the what was foreign land of native americans of 1620
we can't thank anything of such and feast on the harvest of the whiteman so call
holy grounds an expression of gratitude for moving the founders of native americans
land out ....so what are we thankful for .......I wouldn't like the facts that any culture
would be celebrating any slavery , very good point Destee made here i like to hear
more of the people speak on this.

Radical Faith

Dec 3, 2003
North Carolina
Occupation
Operations Manager
The Great Thanksgiving

Sure most of us know the history of thanksgiving and the history of many other holidays. Yet and still we should be thankful but we are not. We are blessed but take it for granted. So without Thanksgiving many of us would never be thankful or give thanks. African Americans have always added our distinct flavor to adversity and tragedy. We wanted ham and pork chops they gave us pig intestines and we made chitterlings. We wanted wealth, power and prestige they gave us peanuts we made peanut butter. We want wanted to be loved and seen as equals when they broke our hearts we invented open heart surgery. We wanted train sets and red wagons they give us balls and sticks to play with we gave them Julius Irving, Michael Jordan, Bill Russel, Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Willie Mays and Hank Aaron. We wanted to be heard and seen as beautiful, they told us to shut up and mind your business we answer with Muhammad Ali. We wanted the violin and flute and harp they give us the harmonica and we still made the Blues. So you see our resiliency. So let us start a new tradition. Instead of giving thanks with words let us invite an unfortunate stranger or family to our blessed table to share a meal and fellowship. Let's be thankful that we are blessed enough to give on our own. This is the best way to honor God.

Peace

Radical Faith

Isaiah

Jun 8, 2004
Mama Destee, as per your usual, a great question to us all...

I don't celebrate this, or any of the so-called holidays prominently honored by the North American White Man - that includes Christmas... For a number of years, I fasted on Thanksgiving, and my family started fussin' with me about being anti-social, anti-family, and just a plain miserable and mean man(smile!) I held my ground, and we compromised:I eat the day after "Misgiving Day." Can't be letting that Macaroni and Cheese and Candied Yams go to waste(smile!)

How would I feel if the Native Americans celebrated our enslavement? Well, I don't think they'd ever do that, because their genocide is intimately tied into our enslavement... They know that it was they whom the White Man enslaved and murdered first, so there's little to be gained by sneering at Africans in that way... But sister Destee, here's another angle from which to approach this... Many African Americans have Native American heritage themselves, so when we celebrate Thanksgiving, we are not only celebrating out enslavement, we are celebrating our own genocide... Hmmm, think about that while y'all basting that big glob of dead animal flesh on wednesday night :thinking:

Peace!
Isaiah

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
OldSoul OldSoul : Mumia Abu-Jamal "Some Who Feel No Reason For Thanksgiving" OldSoul 4
nilevalley Black People : November 28th America calls it Thanksgiving Native America renamed it"The National Day Of Mourning" Black People Open Forum 0
Fine1952 Black People : Mis-Giving -- The Truth Behind Thanksgiving Black People Open Forum 18
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Here's What Eating a Thanksgiving Feast Actually Does to Your Body Black Health and Wellness 4
Perfection Black People Politics : In Context Series: The History of Thanksgiving in the United States Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Salmonella Outbreak In Turkey Spreads To 35 States Just Before Thanksgiving Black Health and Wellness 7
Chevron Dove Black Christians : A BIBLICAL HIDDEN ORIGIN BEHIND THE THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY Christian Study Group 3
Fine1952 Black People : Thanks 4 (for) getting: The Origin of Thanksgiving Black People Open Forum 19
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : Marissa Alexander released from jail for Thanksgiving Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
legit-writer Black People : Thanksgiving Black People Open Forum 8
Destee Black People : Do Native Americans / Indians celebrate Thanksgiving ? ... How do they observe this day? Black People Open Forum 36
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : 9 Thanksgiving Foods that Boost Weight Loss Black Health and Wellness 0
rapunzal24 Black People : What did you enjoy about your Thanksgiving? Black People Open Forum 5
noor100 Black People : How Many Are Not Celebrating Thanksgiving Day? Black People Open Forum 18
Ankhur Black People : Reasons to Reject Thanksgiving, When do we Create Our Own Holidays? Black People Open Forum 1
Ankhur Black Events : First Americans Speak about the Myth of Thanksgiving now WBAI Black Events 2
E Black People : The Real Story Of Thanksgiving? Black People Open Forum 4
RAPTOR Black People : The Real Thanksgiving Black People Open Forum 5
RAPTOR Black People : The Real Thanksgiving Black People Open Forum 1
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : FEED ME (Thanksgiving) Luv extreme Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : History Of Thanksgiving AACOOLDRE 1
B Black People : SHOULD BLACKS BE CELEBRATING THANKSGIVING ?? Black People Open Forum 63
R Black Poetry : THE THANKSGIVING DINNER (an old one here) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
R Black Poetry : Happy Thanksgiving Everybody Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
J Black People : The Truth about Thanksgiving.. Black People Open Forum 11
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : Twisted Thanksgiving Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
T Black People : Thanksgiving - What do it mean to you? Black People Open Forum 16
I Black People : The real story of the first Thanksgiving. Black People Open Forum 0
N Black People : The Truth About Thanksgiving Black People Open Forum 17
M Black Spirituality Religion : What Thanksgiving ?? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 9
K Black Poetry : thanksgiving on meth Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11
P Black People : Native Groups Mourn on Thanksgiving Day Black People Open Forum 6
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : THANKSGIVING DESERT ...act ll Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
M Black Poetry : Thanksgiving For Real Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : Happy Thanksgiving Family Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
P Black People : Hilarious Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe Black People Open Forum 3
O Black Poetry : Thanksgiving (haiku) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
HODEE Black People Politics : The Morning After... The Activists Who Helped Plan The Insurrection Feel Betrayed Black People Politics 1
SwagII Black Relationships : LOVE, what does it really feel like? Black Relationships 1
R Black Poetry : be desired and approved HIP HOP required a smooth feel strong and the deal at home after a kiss and Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : feel deep pleasure see a girl street treasure write in diary complete ledger her breasts too sweet t Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : feel deep pleasure see a girl street treasure write in diary complete ledger her breasts too sweet t Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
R Black Poetry : Look his pride talk and like sidewalks it abuts on streets see a girl panties soggy body so hot feel Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : african-americans-feel-taken-for-granted-by-democratic-party Black People Politics 13
chuck Black Entertainment : Please do feel free to share your thoughts about Al Jarreau's Jazz Legecy! Black Entertainment 4
chuck Black People Politics : Please do feel feel to share your thoughts about this nation's ongoing protests etc Black People Politics 3
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : lee-daniels-wants-white-people-to-feel-good-about-being-white Black People Politics 7
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : We can feel sad, hurt, demoralized But we can’t give up: Black Lives Matter on Trump’s presidency Black People Politics 5
Liberty Black People : How Did You Feel, How Did You React, In 2008, Compared to How You Feel Now? Black People Open Forum 5
R Black Poetry : look I feel sick need deals quick and after a few days disaster plays a part master the phrase of HI Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0