Black People : Ten former “Idol” contestants have sued, alleging racial bia

crissy27

Jul 17, 2013
Ten former “Idol” contestants have sued, alleging racial bias
6 hours ago

CNN) — Fox’s longtime singing competition “American Idol” is embroiled in a lawsuit brought by 10 African-American former contestants who say they were unfairly dismissed from the show because of their race.

Their complaint was filed Thursday in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, alleging that “American Idol” producers unlawfully acquired information about contestants’ criminal backgrounds for both black and white contestants but then used whatever they found solely against black finalists. If the arrest records of white “Idol” finalists were made public, the suit alleges that they conversely were “championed as models of redemption.”

The suit accuses the producers of using criminal background checks to “systematically disqualify and publicly humiliate” black “Idol” finalists as a ratings ploy, perpetuating stereotypes along the way. It contends that while there “were three times as many White (or non-black) contestants featured on ‘American Idol’” since it began in 2002, “there has never been a single White (or non-black) contestant disqualified” from the series.

Fox and “Idol” production company FremantleMedia have so far declined CNN’s request for comment.

The 10 plaintiffs include Jaered Andrews (season 2), Corey Clark (season 2), Jacob John Smalley (season 2), Donnie Williams (season 3), Terrell and Derrell Brittenum (season 5), Thomas Daniels (season 6), Akron Watson (season 6), Ju’Not Joyner (season 8)and Chris Golightly (season 9).

Each former contestant is seeking $25 million in damages for “economic injuries, lost business opportunities and/or lost earning potential” following their dismissal from “Idol.”

Their attorney, James H. Freeman, said the exit of season 11 contestant Jermaine Jones inspired him to take the case. In 2012, Jones was disqualified from “Idol” for allegedly concealing “multiple crimes and outstanding police warrants,” but Jones isn’t a part of the current lawsuit.

In an interview with CNN, Jones said he had a “really good experience” as a contestant, although he disagrees with the way he was kicked off the show.

“I think that they handled (the situation) the way they wanted to handle the situation. Do I agree with it? Of course not. I would love to have been on the show to be able to compete,” Jones said. “But you know I take the highs and the lows, the good and the bad.”

When he was asked to be a part of the lawsuit, Jones said he declined. “I’m grateful for the whole experience. You know, the good parts, the bad parts — it all made me who I am, and it helped enhance and cultivate me as a person (and) as a musician, as an artist, as a performer. I’m just moving forward.”

During the 12 seasons of “American Idol,” four African-American contestants have won: Ruben Studdard, Fantasia Barrino, Jordin Sparks (who is biracial) and Candice Glover.

CNN’s Nischelle Turner contributed to this report.

Posted on: 11:46 am, July 26, 2013

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist

CSmith

Dec 29, 2010
Of course there's racial bias. It's not difficult to understand how these networks and T.V. shows operate. Their viewers are overwhelmingly non-black, therefore they will cater to a non-black audience (read-white audience). Everything done on television is for the amusement of the majority (those who watch the show). What my cousin found out years ago is that these "reality" shows will give you a script and they will actively try to force you to act like a fool or they will cast you for the sole purpose of dismissing you early.

crissy27

Jul 17, 2013
Of course there's racial bias. It's not difficult to understand how these networks and T.V. shows operate. Their viewers are overwhelmingly non-black, therefore they will cater to a non-black audience (read-white audience). Everything done on television is for the amusement of the majority (those who watch the show). What my cousin found out years ago is that these "reality" shows will give you a script and they will actively try to force you to act like a fool or they will cast you for the sole purpose of dismissing you early.

Exactly! Just like with the whole Big Brother buffoonery - I refuse to think anyone is THAT much of a complete moron

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Black People : I Have Shared Information That Is Qualified To Save Black Afrikans Ten Thousand Time Over If Only Adhered Too !!! Black People Open Forum 0
R Spoken Word : Flow best but no success can't achieve goal believe love stole his mind and that's cold this HIP HOP blend is in the top ten he see a chick come with Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Architect that made St. Paul: the top ten list AACOOLDRE 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : World's Oldest Stone Tablet Containing Ten Commandments Up for Auction Christian Study Group 0
Fine1952 African American History Culture : Ten Best Lies of Black History w/References African American History Culture 7
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Ten commandments & the links with Egyptian Laws AACOOLDRE 0
Liberty Black People : The Ten Biggest Problems Facing African-Americans Today Black People Open Forum 11
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Top Ten Anti-Semetic remarks in the Bible AACOOLDRE 0
anAfrican Computers - Software Hardware : Win Ten Tin-foil hat needed? Science and Technology 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Oklahoma court: Ten Commandments monument must come down Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Ten Commandments of (Rational) Debate Black People Open Forum 1
OldSoul OldSoul : THE BLACK PANTHER PARTY Ten Point Platform & Program OldSoul 1
shaka64 Black Entertainment : soul top ten hits 1982 the year I graduated high school Black Entertainment 3
RAPTOR Black People : Ten Examples of Welfare for the Rich and Corporations Black People Open Forum 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Top ten Satires in the New Testament AACOOLDRE 1
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : Ten Steps You Can Take Right Now Against Internet Surveillance Science and Technology 8
firstscribe Black People : The truth about white ‘people’—ten obvious observations Black People Open Forum 64
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Atheists : Atheists unveil Fla monument near Ten Commandments Atheist Study Group 35
RAPTOR Black People Politics : "Top Ten Things Black America Will Have To Show For 8 Years of President Obama" by Bruce A Dixon Black People Politics 50
AACOOLDRE Black People : The Ten% Jews Black People Open Forum 0
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: The Persuasions, Ten Commandments of Love Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
river Black People : Autistic Brotha Gets Ten Years for Assaulting the Police Black People Open Forum 1
Feather Black Relationships : Top Ten Things "Not To Do" In Your Relationship Black Relationships 14
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : TEN REASONS WHY EGYPT IS SOURCE OF CHRISTANITY AACOOLDRE 3
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Top ten Books by females AACOOLDRE 5
A Black Spirituality Religion : Top Ten Signs You’re a Zealous Pagan Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 117
N Black Spirituality Religion : Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 44
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : DRE'S TOP TEN R&B MALE/FEMALE SONGS AACOOLDRE 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : TOP TEN FEMALE/MALE RAP SONGS AACOOLDRE 10
river Destee Network : Join My Affiliate Program Earn Ten Percent Destee Network : 0
baller Black Poetry : (it seems like) Ten Thousand Years Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 15
river Black People : Ten Strategies for Overcoming Racism Black People Open Forum 3
O Black Sports : THE TEN WORST SPORTS UNIFORMS IN RECENT MEMORY Black Sports 8
O Black Sports : TOP TEN NBA TEAMS NEVER TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP Black Sports 11
HODEE Black People : I was a ten pounder Black People Open Forum 4
D Black People : FBI.com-Ten Most Wanted Black People Open Forum 2
G Chief Elder Osiris : THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, THE COMMAND OF THE HUMAN BEING, AND NOT GOD Chief Elder Osiris 0
G Black Spirituality Religion : Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
G Black Spirituality Religion : “Obey Thy Ten Commandments, Or Else”: Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 86
G Black People : TEN MILLION DEAD?SLAVERY, HOLLYWOOD, & GENOCIDE IN CENTRAL AFRICA Black People Open Forum 0
K Black Poetry : Ten Breaths of Comfort. Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
D Black Relationships : The Top Ten Myths of Marriage Black Relationships 0
river Black Spirituality Religion : The Ten Precepts of Religious Detoxification Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 21
B Black Entertainment : Brian Mcknight "Ten" Black Entertainment 0
kemetkind Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III : Chapter 11 - The Ten Stages Of Initiation Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III Study Group 0
river Black Spirituality Religion : Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 13
M Black Entertainment : Best Top Ten Black Entertainment 2
P Black People : TEN POINT PROGRAM Black People Open Forum 19
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Jesus-Legend traced in Egypt for Ten thousand years AACOOLDRE 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Ten commandments AACOOLDRE 0